Spouse with US PR Card residing in DR

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Not sure I'll get the answer here, but hopefully someone else may have been in the same situation.

I'm a dual citizen (US/DR) married to a Colombian national holding a US permanent resident card (she did not get her PR through me). She's already qualified to apply for US citizenship, but until then we must deal with what's at hand.

I'm seriously contemplating relocating to DR due to a business opportunity there. My concern is with the restrictions the US Immigration & Naturalization Service places on permanent residents being out of the US for longer than six months. Are there any special exemptions for permanent residents married to US citizens that relocate out of the US for work or business related purposes? Can she apply for US Citizenship from the DR while residing there?

If it gets too hairy, we'd probably just opt to get her citizenship done stateside prior to moving there. But when it comes to business, time is of the essence, if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would like you to consult with the personnel at the US Consulate. Get there very early: like 5:15 a.m.. Stand in the most outward line, NOT the visa line.
Take something to read and something to sit on. have someone there that can take your cell phone, penknife, nail clippers until you come out.
When the little girls arrive, you tell them that you have to talk to one of YOUR consular officers. You show her your US Passport. You get a yellow ticket.
You'll go inside a little after 7:00 a.m.

You;ll wait in a freezing cold waiting room until the consular official calls your number. You tell him your problem, and you take your lead from there. After 9/11 the "World is Turned Upside down", so be patient.

HB

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Heck, I might as well put up a tent there the night before and make a fireplace and all...

I'll see what I can find out BEFORE getting to the DR from the USCIS or Dept of Homeland Security. I figure once I'm there with the wife and kids and everybody it'd be a li'l more difficult to retract should it be necessary.

Thanks though.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If you haven't relocated to the DR yet it's best to deal with her getting the US citizenship before heading to the DR.

Here's some info for you Naturalization

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm seriously contemplating relocating to DR due to a business opportunity there. My concern is with the restrictions the US Immigration & Naturalization Service places on permanent residents being out of the US for longer than six months. Are there any special exemptions for permanent residents married to US citizens that relocate out of the US for work or business related purposes? Can she apply for US Citizenship from the DR while residing there?

I'm talking from my own experience here - I 'swopped' my US Green Card for an unlimited entry visa. As I qualify for citizenship without a doubt, this did not cause me to 'give up' any rights to citizenship that I have through marriage and family. The US consulate (not in the DR) was patient and helped me through the procedure in order to maintain my rights, as well as not 'mess up the documentation'. My choice was to go through the US residency and citizenship procedure again if I ever wanted to live there, or to make peace with the INS (they've changed and is now part of Homeland Security or something). I decided to make peace with them and it was actually not too painful and worked out well. I must say that documents are in order, relationships and family are long-standing and well documented. So, they don't have a problem with letting me back and I don't have a problem with them. Yes, you can apply for citizenship while residing in the DR, but you have to adhere to the 6 months residency requirement and of course be available for interviews.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
she can apply return resident permit in US before leave and you have to prove that absent from us is temporary. It is not good idea to consult with us consular.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
I would get the citizenship before you leave the states. Problem solved. Forever. It is getting increasingly difficult post 911 to get any visa to the USA let alone citizenship. Business can wait, it's not going anywhere.

-Tim