Driving sometimes hazzardos and EXPENSIVE.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
just some advice for anybody who may not know allready.
yesterday i came across an american tourist parked just inside the entrance to villas anna maria in sosua.
there was a small group of people around him and being the nosey git or good samaratian i approached him and asked what was all the kafuffle about.
he had made a direct left turn into V.A.M USEING his indicator in advance.
a security guard on a motor bike (military)tried overtaking him on the left as he was turning and crashed into his rented jeep causing some damage to the front end of the jeep but amazingly enough no damage at all to his own motor bike.
he had fallen off and slightly grazed his face.
HE,was hitting the american guy up,with the aid of some other locals(noticed one money changer in particular)for $100us so he could go check himself out at the clinic(3.300rd?),RIGHT!
it was the bike drivers fault but knew he may be on to a good thing.
long story short,bike man called the cops who took his side,said if he did not pay they would impound the jeep and he would have to go to jail.
pure scare tactics.
guy was freaked so he paid and was let go on his merry way.
the advise is as many of readers will know.
when making left turns here you have to be 101% sure there is NOTHING behind you.
if not,as i was advised some 13yrs ago when i 1st drove here is that you ALLWAYS pull into the right and make your left when the coast is completly clear.
if not as the title says, it can be dangerous and very expensive and a whole lot of hassle too.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Your post is right on the spot, and I witnessed countless situations over the years, often not that bad, but the mentality is always the same...

As of me, my gringo face would mistake any of those scumbags, but gladly, my street-cibae?o is good enough to get me out quickly !

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just Keep Driving! NEVER STOP!

I hit a "Publico" taxi as I was taking my kids to school. It WAS my fault,but I just kept on going. The guy freaked out! He kept trying to pass my in the oncoming traffic! It was fantastic! He kept trying to cut in front of me,I kept driving around him! I saw a policeman in the road ahead. I pulled up to him and motioned him over to me.By this time the taxidriver caught up to me,he left his taxi in the oncomin lane and came running over as well! I gave the policeman 500 pesos,and asked him to take care of the problem with the crazy "Taxista"! He saluted,I drove away!
End of story!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
On the other hand, I have to fair... Plenty of times I encountered mecanical problems on the Dominican roads, and I had always good samaritans who helped me out, most of the time, for free...