Inheritance - questions and fees

Feb 7, 2007
My ex is involved in an inheritance process. She has a daughter (10 yrs old) with a puertorican, who passed away. They did not live together.

What are the customary lawyer's fees to handle inheritance case, where a minor is involved? Issues involved in this case are bank accounts, house, and property (bancas). The woman that was living with that puertorican (not married) is doing a lot of straightly "black" things behing the backs of the minor and her mother, selling off property without permission, etc. and withdrawing money from bank accounts that are not even in her name (this is Monte Plata province, something like a "wild west")

She retained a lawyer, but he has got her signed 30% of the inheritance received as lawyer's fees. He also got paid quite some sum in advance. The lawyer is pretty much doing nothing and has been idle for about two months now.

The fees he wants (30%) seems TOO MUCH for inheritance case. This is a percentage that gets paid to lawyers in litigation cases. I would assume the inheritance lawyer should work on fees or greatly smaller percentage.

Question: (If Mr. Guzman can answer it, good)

1) What are the usual lawyer's fees paid in inheritance case, is it flat based (invoiced work) or percentage?
2) What should such lawyer's fees be? (the amount/or percentage)
3) Are there any upfront fees? If so, which are the up front fees, and approximately how much?
4) Do offices of Mr. Guzman work inheritance cases involving minors?

Please reply on this board or PM me. All your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

George

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
1) What are the usual lawyer's fees paid in inheritance case, is it flat based (invoiced work) or percentage? [ Depends. 30% is the maximum allowed by law and should only apply to inheritances involving tough litigation. Other cases can be handled for a fixed fee or a smaller percentage. Any reputable attorney will ask to review the file before quoting you a price.

2) What should such lawyer's fees be? (the amount/or percentage) See answer above.

3) Are there any upfront fees? If so, which are the up front fees, and approximately how much? See answer above.

4) Do offices of Mr. Guzman work inheritance cases involving minors? Yes.

Feb 7, 2007
Mr. Guzman, thank you for your reply.

I have sent you a PM and email, but I did not get a reply. Whom can I contact at your office to set up an appointment between the mother of the child and your office, to see if you would be able to help in the case?

Thank you.