Best Hot Sauce

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Best hot sauce is "Sosua Hot Sauce" made by Tomas who is at the Campo Bar in Sosua every day...the stuff is cheap and good! Homemade and not the stuff that burns a hole in your mouth but has a great bang to it! Much better than that tabasco crap!

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Whenever we go to eat in Sosua I have never seen any hot sauce anywhere . When I did finally find some it was at the Super Super and it was from Puerto Rico not the DR. So this year I have decided to bring my own hot saucem because I really need it on the wings, ribs fish etc.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
go to the campo bar and ask for tomas

go to the campo and tomas will hook you up!

MickA

Mar 13, 2007
The falafel place on Padre Bellini in Santo Domingo has some top quality chilli sauce, available in take home pots. I can't remember the name of the place, but it's on the junction with Sanchez.

The falafels are excellent as well.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
The falafel place on Padre Bellini in Santo Domingo has some top quality chilli sauce, available in take home pots. I can't remember the name of the place, but it's on the junction with Sanchez.

The falafels are excellent as well.

El Rey de Falafel.....? By far the best I have come across in the DR, although I haven't tried the Campo bar one yet.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
heh...i bring my own as none of my domincan friends will go near the stuff. There eyes bulge in horror as a splash it on almost everything i eat!!!..eggs, fish, chicken. One friend is a very very good cook and he gets so mad at me! I just tell them that its the mexican in me (the truth).

my friend here once cussed me out "thats the problems with you mexicans...you put too much jalapeno in everything and that gets your blood too hot and thats why you cannot keep your women!" jajajaja.

G

gary short

Wow your friend has you figured wrong........hahahaha......

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I thank Chirimoya for suggesting MAREMONTI ? restaurante ? caf? (809-620-1843). Most Saturdays, I call and place an order for a delivery of two servings of ceviche (one mixed seafood, the other only fish), which comes with a small container of a very hot pepper sauce, which is the only one in town I can really say, ?pica m?s que el diablo?. Along with La Linea Noroeste, the DR Southwest is where to look for home-made hot sauce. I prepare my own, from the following ingredients: fresh aj? pip? (bird pepper, or any other wild extra hot pepper), fresh garlic cloves, and fresh oregano stems. These are cleaned and washed with boiling water, and stuffed in a bottle or jar.. Then the juice from bitter oranges (?naranja agria?), previously been brought to a boil, is poored into the container, until full. Leave alone for about a week, and then use only the liquid. Once exhausted, you can refill several times with fresh bitter orange juice, until the "picante" is finally exhausted. Great in sancocho.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
true true true. Franks is quite tasty....but definitely not "hot".

aye...something else to put on my "to do" list today....i return to DR tomorrow!

i am quite fond of an asian chili sauce "stiracha". Definitely hot..but with a sweet side with a hint of vinigar....not like a mexican chili sauce at all...but goes well with a lot of things. Might have to bring some with me.

Oh...and the stuff last for EVER.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Sriracha

true true true. Franks is quite tasty....but definitely not "hot".

aye...something else to put on my "to do" list today....i return to DR tomorrow!

i am quite fond of an asian chili sauce "stiracha". Definitely hot..but with a sweet side with a hint of vinigar....not like a mexican chili sauce at all...but goes well with a lot of things. Might have to bring some with me.

Oh...and the stuff last for EVER.

"Sriracha (pronounced See-RAH-cha -- the first "r" is not pronounced) is the generic name for a Southeast Asian hot sauce from Thailand..."

(thanks to Wikipedia ;-)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I don't know if they carry this one in the DR, but the best hot sauce that I've had, recommended from a Mexican man and you know how hot and authentic their sauce has to be, ............El Yucateco, I've bought it in green and red but I think they have 4 in total, I just need a few drops and I'm good.:bunny:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bajan (Barbadian) hot sauce almost defeated me last month... such a pity the restrictions on carrying liquids meant I couldn't bring any back with me.

BTW Mirador it was another poster who recommended the ceviche place. I've located it as we drive past the spot most days, but we haven't actually tried it yet. Do they do a shrimp only version?

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Good hot sauce in Santo Domingo

The best place for hot sauce in Santo Domingo is at La Parrilla Steak House on George Washington Ave right next to the Doll House. Dominicans won't go near it after one taste. I have tasted hot sauces from Japan to the West Indies and La Parrilla's is one of the best.
If you eat there I recommend the Pollo Al Carbon or the Churassco you won't be disappointed.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Bajan (Barbadian) hot sauce almost defeated me last month... such a pity the restrictions on carrying liquids meant I couldn't bring any back with me.

BTW Mirador it was another poster who recommended the ceviche place. I've located it as we drive past the spot most days, but we haven't actually tried it yet. Do they do a shrimp only version?

Chiri, I swear it was you who recommended Maremonti to me. I wonder why you deny being so helpful to me? Then again, you must have your reasons... ;-). Maremonti's ceviche "mixto" includes a hefty amount of shrimp. Then, why not can't they prepare a special order of just shrimp ceviche for you? Go ahead, call 'em up (809-620-1843), and yeap! tell them I sent you. Actually, I mentioned your name with my first order, and now I get a discount! ;-) Bon apetite!!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I feel so awful! How could I...! it must be "old timers disease" setting in I even told the owner about you, and suggested I was part of your organization, you know, Aunt Clara's Kitchen, and that I was going to do a write-up on Maremonti. I even took pictures, and almost fell into the pool in the process (saved by my daughter Alexandra, who caught me by the sleeve in mid-air). I've been getting discounts ever since, and the owner herself delivers the ceviche to my door. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding!

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Frank's is the hot sauce that I am bringing with me, tasty it is, I 'd rather have a little more flavor than heat, but I am definitely going to look for this Sosua Hot Sauce. Soliamente dieciocho dias hasta mi vaccionnes. Yay!!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I feel so awful! How could I...! it must be "old timers disease" setting in I even told the owner about you, and suggested I was part of your organization, you know, Aunt Clara's Kitchen, and that I was going to do a write-up on Maremonti. I even took pictures, and almost fell into the pool in the process (saved by my daughter Alexandra, who caught me by the sleeve in mid-air). I've been getting discounts ever since, and the owner herself delivers the ceviche to my door. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding!
Tell you what - do the writeup and your secret's safe with me. :cheeky: