Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 1 = Horrible

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
On a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 = horrible and 5 = excellent, rate the new Parque Las Praderas which has replaced an abandoned lagoon in Santo Domingo.

dsc064721sw7.jpg

dsc064661rx2.jpg

dsc064651gc6.jpg

4431024750e0cd86d97oge5.jpg

443102143ca5c518458ovo9.jpg

laguna022la5ol2.jpg

-NALs

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
5,,,,,,,,,,,,today,,,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,garbage cans will be stolen,,,,,,,,,,,,,bicycle lane is a joke,nobody will use it,,,,,,,,,,,my sweaty kid is not gonna play in that sand..........playground equipment is a joke, seen bigger and better at a day care,,,,,,,,nobody will water the new plants and trees, they'll be dead in 5 months,,,,,,,,fancy lightbulbs will burn out and not be replaced,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it's a 5 compared to the hole in the ground..............

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hm, if nothing is built people complain. If something is built, people complain. Tough crowd.

Las Praderas is a nice enough area to have the neighbors form a private management committee funded by the community to maintain the park (already reached an agreement with the electricity company and have electricity 24/7).

Then again, that probably won't happen because in the DR everybody want the government to do everything.

People need to learn to think of these projects are gifts from the government to them and as such, the people should take care of such project as much as they possibly can.

That's how many parks in the US are maintained, through community actions. Well, at least that's based on what I have read on maintenance of Central Park and Bryant Park in NYC, public spaces under private control, otherwise it would become a wasteland in government hands.

It's a gift, people should do everything to protect it and maintain it.

But, it's easier to complain than to act.

-NALs

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
my first thought when i saw the park was WOW that's great. after closer inspection, found a few flaws in the design.............then the car horns started blasting and i realized i wasn't in niceville, kansas..........when designing a prison it is best to keep in mind that criminals will be living there. a nursing home shall be laid out to accomodate the elderly and infirm.......a park in santo domingo should not be designed as if walt disney is going to maintain it, and people from niceville are going to use it........central park in NY when examined closely is indestructible heavy duty steel and concrete.....i am not complaining or bad mouthing anyone, only callin dem as i see dem............OOPS....gotta go, my sister-in-law just put the wastebaskets back in the bathrooms, this could be trouble, thought i cured that.....................................see what i mean?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
donation drives and charity events and (i.e. not government) is the answer

stuff like this begs for a Friends of X/Neigborhood Association to take the helm..

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Is this the one at Gustavo Mejia Ricart and Nunez de Caceres (not sure of exact cross streets but around in that area)?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Is this the one at Gustavo Mejia Ricart and Nunez de Caceres (not sure of exact cross streets but around in that area)?
Remember the old smelly mosquito infested lagoon on the Nu?ez de C?ceres?

That's it!

-NALs

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Yeah, I do remember it - gosh, anything is better than that! I'm gonna stop by next week and see what this park looks like in person, but the pictures look pretty good - like I say though, anything is better then that hole in the ground!