I need the board's wisdom....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
My opportunity to travel is late August to early September. I know it is difficult to predict the weather and the possibility of hurricanes cruising over the island, but I would like to hear the board's opinion on the past history of hurricane experiences during this period. Would it be better to wait until late December early January? I am leaning to fly to Puerto Plata and settling in Sousa. I would appreciate an opinion on Casa Serena, El Colibri, Rockys Bar, and Sousa by the Sea or any other location on this price range that the board can recomend.

Thank you in advance and a big hug!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You can use the search function to check on hurricanes - there have been a lot of threads. Mostly hurricanes which do hit do so around third week of September, I believe, historically. North coast is far less likely to experience hurricanes than east or south. There has been an active season advisory issued for this year (mind you, there was for last year & it didn't happen).

You would be most unlikely to experience any hurricanes in late December, early January. The other factor you don't mention but I will is how do you cope with humidity? It is far hotter & more humid here in September than it is in December/January.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
IN Puerto Plata we have not had a hurricane for over 80 years. We did experience a tropical storm in the last 4 years. It is unlikely we will get one but this is the Caribbean. We are lucky here and quite protected geographically. The most likely months to experience a hurricane are August and September. It is hotter and more humid then too. December and January can be quite a bit cooler and at times we can get a lot of rain in December. So, you take your chances either way.....

As for accomodation - what are you looking for? What are your needs? For example are you a single looking for guest friendly? Or a couple? Are you looking for A/C, close to the beach etc etc. Tell us more and then we can give you some feedback.

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
Thank you for the response. If I have to make a choice between heat/humidy and storms/rain - I choose the first one. My mother is a Cubana (left Cuba a long time ago) and balmy tropical heat fans my veins. I will complete purchasing my ticket for late August. Big hug and thank you again!

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
Thank you for your response Planner. I am leaning for hot/humid rather than cool and storms. So, I am working on building my confidence and travel in August. I experienced one hurricane when I was very little in Cuba and it did not leave me with a nice feeling inside - more like I am "really" scare to place myself in that situation again)
Good questions on the accomodations: I am traveling with my teenage son, he is 16. AC, close to the beach (at least a short distance walking), clean is important, attractive to the eye and free pick up shuttle from the airport to the place is a big plus. We are more interested in traveling the island, mingling with the wonderful people than spending time in a hotel.
Big hug!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Then I will recommend you go to Isaira Tours - Dominican Republic He now has 12 one bedroom apartments in Sosua. He is away from the late night activity but a short walk to the beach.. He will pick you up at the airport as well.

His prices are quite reasonable too and he will offer prices for extended stays. The places all have full kitchens and everything you need.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Then I will recommend you go to Isaira Tours - Dominican Republic He now has 12 one bedroom apartments in Sosua. He is away from the late night activity but a short walk to the beach.. He will pick you up at the airport as well.

His prices are quite reasonable too and he will offer prices for extended stays. The places all have full kitchens and everything you need.

Here's a picture Martin sent me:

48eo13k.jpg

I'll get better ones when I'm there the first two weeks of May.

Gregg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Florie:
Not to worry about the weather...no matter what, this are different nowadays.

We can see the storms coming for days and even weeks ahead..so we can prepare. Another thing: Puerto Plata is on the North Shore and there and in Sosua, there are houses that are many decades old. In POP thee are 100 year old houses..made of wood....SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, no hurricanes bother them!!
You will certainly enjoy yourself...almost guaranteed.

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just off of Pedro Clisante near El Colibri Hotel (at least I think that's the hotel around the corner).

Gregg
If it is, then it could be the building in front of Carlos Residencial, and would be 5 minutes from the beach, BY CAR !
Walking would take 20 minutes.

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
FireGuy - The Sousa Horizon Apartments look like the right choice and about my price range. Thank you!! One more question, I would like to visit for at least one day Haiti, where will be the best area (town) to cross over that will be interesting to spend one day (no over-night).

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
FireGuy - Thank you for the recommendation. Sosua Horizon Apartments looks great and at the right price range for me. One question, I would like to cross to Haiti for one day. Where (town) do you suggest I should cross? Only during the day, no over-night.

Sep 19, 2005
. Thank you!! One more question, I would like to visit for at least one day Haiti, where will be the best area (town) to cross over that will be interesting to spend one day (no over-night).

VISIT HAITI????

and you were worried about a hurricane???????????

bob

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Let's ask the question - why do you want to go to Haiti? Do you know how far that is? do you know how expensive that will be? Do you know what it is like there? Do you know how dangerous it is?

G

gary short

If it is, then it could be the building in front of Carlos Residencial, and would be 5 minutes from the beach, BY CAR !
Walking would take 20 minutes.

20 min walk to the beach!!! NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO you'll die or shrivel into something indescribable or actually stretch the muscles out during a short enjoyable walk to the beach.......

Sep 19, 2005
20 min walk to the beach!!! NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO you'll die or shrivel into something indescribable or actually stretch the muscles out during a short enjoyable walk to the beach.......
the law of averages pushes getting run over by a motoconcho ladrone into the red zone when you walk that far on the road... ha ha ha ha

heck it almost takes 20 minutes to walk Sosua beach alone!!!! ha ha

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.