First Time Writing

Gia

Apr 9, 2007
We are hoping to purchase a condo, probably in the Punta Cana area. We chose this area because we would prefer to be on the Caribbean Ocean, calmer for us and for visiting grandchildren. We expect to stay a few months a year and hope to rent it the rest of the time.

I have many questions, but I'll start with a few. Will we be able to manage, food shopping, dining, etc. with out speaking Spanish (hope to learn) and with out renting a car?

We looked at condo in Cocotal Golf Course community and possibly White Sands. We felt a gated community with use of a beach club is an advantage for rental purposes and since we initially will be using it as a vacation property.

We will probably rent for a month in July while looking. We're looking for something reasonably priced, not in the exclusive Capa Cana range.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Gia, welcome to the message board.

I don't know Punta Cana nor the complex you mentioned, but as for your question about shopping, dining, etc., without being able to speak Spanish, no problem. Remember there are thousands and thousands of non-Spanish speaking people coming here every year. Stores and restaurants are accustomed to people speaking other languages, and many Dominicans speak at least some English.

With respect to a car, it will depend on where you are living and what you want to do. My wife and I have been living in the DR for 20+ years without a car and go everywhere by public transportation. We live within walking distance of the stores in Sosua, so carry our purchases from the supermarket home in canvas bags with a shoulder strap. If we lived further away, we would probably do most of our shopping once per week and take a taxi home with our purchases. Previously when we lived on a sailboat and were living aboard in Venezuela, Trinidad and elsewhere, this is how we did our weekly shopping.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i don't know anything about sosua.......but, from 20 years experience in the booming real estate world of Key West, FL and 15 years of being a higher end landlord in Santo Domingo i can only add that you should not count on any income from rentals, you will get some but, they are usually only around certain holidays and very peak season. if i got 6 weeks income in Key West it was normal. SD is a little better than that. be wary of salespeople who tell you they will have it rented out often, unless it's the most desirable, penthouse, on the beach, best unit in the whole place, etc...............

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
isn't Punta Cana still the Atlantic Ocean? or at least the Mona Channel? If you want the Caribbean sea you need to go to the South Coast. I agree re rentals. In Juan Dolio you can probably rent in the high season - Jan- April but after that probably not, and if you want to use it yourself it is more of a problem. Most rentals here are for 2-4 months not just by the week

Feb 7, 2007
In Punta Cana (Bavaro - where your listed properties are located), you probably won;t be able to live without SOME transportation. There are few supermarkets (but don't count on WalMart Superstore, Kellog, Safeway etc.) these are mom-and-pop "supermarkets" (usually not more than few isles). There are some bigger markets under development in Veron area, but as far as I know Bavaro itself has few of these supermarkets. There is one bigger supermarket at El Cortecito (just about 3 kms from Plaza Bavaro). The prices, in general, are substantially higher than in other parts of country.

To do your shopping, and go out dining, etc, you will need some transportation. You can call a cab, but a monopoly is SIUTRATURAL and BERON TAXI and they charge double or tripple the prices that are ongoing in Santo Domingo (a medium length ride in SDQ costs you 130 pesos, in Bavaro costs you 400+). A small hop across two corners costs 5 dollars in Bavaro.

You may consider buying yourself a "passola" - a scooter, to move around, good ones (big) cost around 1500 dollars when purchased cash, can accomodate 3 persons easily, have inner storage, and front bottom storage can handle several big bags full of groceries.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and possibly White Sands.

You may be looking at White Sands II and III & maybe it is a different developer but I'll just alert you to some trouble a Spanish couple had with the developer of White Sands I, I think it was. Photo here of the ladies injuries
Diario Libre Online
It's been going on for quite some time - see date of paper
Diario Libre Online

Diario Libre Online
Now the Spanish Consul is involved in trying to get the couple's plaint heard in Court
Diario Libre Online

In brief from what I recall the Spanish couple complained that walkways to the beach of which they had use were taken back by developer for more building work, similarly part of the parking lot. They made a fuss & it would appear got a visit from the heavies. They are now trying to pursue the matter in Court. Might be an idea to check if the White Sands you are considering has the same developer, because if it does you may want to do some investigating.

I have no idea as to who is right and who is wrong in this case. All I would ask is who needs that sort of hassle?

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I would have to suggest that the south coast would be a better area for you to locate in, especially if you don't want to have to drive and also as it is on the Caribbean Sea unlike the Mona Channel which is the mixing channel for the Atlantic and Caribbean.
Easy transportation to San Pedro or Santo Domingo for shopping,more choices of where to shop, more 'sights' to see and activities to do, and also a larger 'community' of residents to network with.

Gia

Apr 9, 2007
Thanks everyone for your input. I've been going on the internet looking for information and condos in the Juan Dolio area. We know nothing about it and would like an area that is smaller and walker friendly. We will also be careful to stay in our budget and not count on rental income.

If anyone knows a good realtor in the south coast area, we'll get in touch with them to get more ideas about condo costs there.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No really good realtors here. Apts vary from on the beach at 200-250,000US$ to the other side of the beach road at 30-70,000us$ depending on no of bedrooms. 3 bed houses with pool at around 200,000US$. Walker friendly, great beach, a few restaurants, dive centres, horse riding. 11kms from local town with two good supermarkets and good bus service. 45 mins from Santo Domingo again good bus service, 20 mins airport. 2 good private medical clinics in Juan Dolio including operating theatres, xrays, laboratory etc. pm me if you want to know more

Matilda