WARNING!!!!thefts from 'locked' suitcases!!!

Tailsinlove

Apr 24, 2007
we've been back from the dom rep 8 hrs, when we got home we realised out of a party of 28, 8 peoples cases have been broken into, personal items such as digital cameras, sentimental jewellery, and MP3 players, to obtain these items our locks were sawn off our cases!!!!!this is disgusting, this is a warning to all, all these items are not covered in your insurance if you try to claim, you need to pack these items in your hand luggage because you wont get a penny back!!!!!
The only way that these items could have been located is most likely as the cases have been passed through a scanner. For example, people who hadnt got anything expensive packed, their cases were not touched. Wrapping up your items in clothes has NOT worked.
Sorry if we have caused any distress or concern due to your expectations of the Dominican Republic. Please reply if anything like this has happened to you.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
people still fly with electronic items in their checked luggage ? :eek:

shame on you. let's just say "lesson learned"....

Tailsinlove

Apr 24, 2007
hmmm

people still fly with electronic items in their checked luggage ? :eek:

shame on you. let's just say "lesson learned"....

Have you been on a plane recently???
The airport check-in staff now advise (tell) all passengers to pack electrical items so its not lesson learned at all because it is not our fault that security measures are as they are.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I never pack ANYTHING other than clothes.
I also take out insurance through my credit card for $5 per flight covering $2500 worth of stuff.

tambo'

Tailsinlove

Apr 24, 2007
I never pack ANYTHING other than clothes.
I also take out insurance through my credit card for $5 per flight covering $2500 worth of stuff.

tambo'

We did take out insurance but the problem was that because our baggage was not with us, it was fair game so to speak. Your insurance is good though.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The airport check-in staff now advise (tell) all passengers to pack electrical items so its not lesson learned at all because it is not our fault that security measures are as they are.

Are you sure?
I was in the DR in March and I carried on my i-pod, cell phone, psp, clock radio and all the chargers without any problem.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Never have had any problems..............

going to or back from the DR but...................Pearson Airport in Toronto, I have had my bags gone through and cleaned out 2 times so now if I cannot carry it with me it does NOT come. Best of luck to you.

Sep 19, 2005
I bet you didnt fly through STI.....I had stuff stolen in POP....the guy checked the luggage by hand even the grooming bag which had my colognes.....well sure enough the whole bag was gone from inside the luggage when i got back home...Jetblue wanted a reciept for everything!!!!!!!!!!! like we all keep reciepts for cologne and shaving items, and asprin ect ect...

NOW I wrap all my checked bags and then sign the outside....it costs about $6 a bag, and it is a pain to cut open later...but it is my insurance....so I know before I leave the airport that it was broken into..... they can rewrap, but my writing wont be on the outside any more.

bob

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I've packed electronics before in my checked luggage and have never had any problems.

And like Ricardo I bring my electronics on board. DVD player, iPod, cell phone, chargers etc...

Can you please tell us what airport you flew out of and flew into?

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I just returned Sunday from POP and carried all my electronics and valuables in my carry on bag. Clothes are much more easliy replaceable. Sorry for your loss. Lesson learned.

curlyq

questions

The original poster still has not said which airport and what airline.

we've been back from the dom rep 8 hrs, when we got home we realised out of a party of 28, 8 peoples cases have been broken into, personal items such as digital cameras, sentimental jewellery, and MP3 players, to obtain these items our locks were sawn off our cases!!!!!this is disgusting, this is a warning to all, all these items are not covered in your insurance if you try to claim, you need to pack these items in your hand luggage because you wont get a penny back!!!!!
The only way that these items could have been located is most likely as the cases have been passed through a scanner. For example, people who hadnt got anything expensive packed, their cases were not touched. Wrapping up your items in clothes has NOT worked.
Sorry if we have caused any distress or concern due to your expectations of the Dominican Republic. Please reply if anything like this has happened to you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
TSA does not permit locks on the bags unless they are TSA approved and they can open them.

I am also patiently waiting to hear the airline and airport.
Me thinks someone is not revealing the entire scenario and it happened at the resort.

tambo'

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
definitely sounds fishy. they wouldnt need to saw off any locks unless they were not TSA approved as someone else said. If they are TSA approved they have the keys so there would be no need to saw them off.

I have on several occasions put expensive electronics in my luggage going through both POP and STI and never encountered any problems with missing items. I have been asked for money and gifts but never been outright robbed.

I will be reconsidering putting anything electronic and valuable in my checked luggage from now on though.

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
Lots of bad news tonight. i'm still stunned by the five pound dog murder.
both are very wrong and disheartening. I'm sorry for all parties loss....

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
You can still get inside a locked suitcase with zippers with no problem. I know people have mentioned this already but never ever put electronics in your bag when you are going to a 3rd world country. I had my sneakers stolen out of my bag 2 years ago in Puerto Plata, damn I miss them shoes!!!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
definitely sounds fishy. they wouldnt need to saw off any locks unless they were not TSA approved as someone else said. If they are TSA approved they have the keys so there would be no need to saw them off.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think only the security inspectors have the keys, not the luggage handlers.

I've had my TSA approved locks sawed off.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The airport check-in staff now advise (tell) all passengers to pack electrical items ...
What airline are you flying on? Which airport are you flying from? I've never been advised to check electronic items.