Resume Samples...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovbabies

Apr 16, 2007
Hi,

I would like to know if any one could direct me towards the correct format of creating a resume in Spanish... I know it is completely different from the format we use in the US and I would like to find employment as a teacher in Santiago. Any help or advice anyone?

Thanks

OV Babies

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
All I know is they don't even call them resumes here. They're curriculum vitae (I'm not even sure of the spelling). Maybe a search with those keywords would help?

Not much help, I know. Good luck!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A resum? (US) or a CV (GB) is known simply as a "Curriculum" in the DR. I haven't checked, but maybe employment sites like Aldaba have formats.

Mine is set out like this:
(Name)
Nacionalidad: (nationality)
Residencia: (country of residence if different)
Lugar de nacimiento: (place of birth)
Fecha de nacimiento: (DOB)
Direcci?n: (address)
Tel?fono: (tel no)
Celular: (cel no)
E-mail: (e-mail)

Resumen de experiencia profesional:
(A very brief para describing yourself and your experience.)

Educaci?n:
(Educational qualifications - high school, degrees, etc.)

Experiencia profesional:
(list of employers, job titles, dates)

Idiomas:
(languages)

Referencias:
(2 references, one professional - ideally your present or last employer; one personal/academic)

Inform?tica: (IT skills and experience if not the main area of expertise).

Informaci?n adicional: (other personal information that might be relevant. Some put hobbies and interests, travel.)

Actualizado: (last updated)

Hope this helps!

L

LarrySpencer

A resum? (US) or a CV (GB) is known simply as a "Curriculum" in the DR. I haven't checked, but maybe employment sites like Aldaba have formats.

Mine is set out like this:
(Name)
Nacionalidad: (nationality)
Residencia: (country of residence if different)
Lugar de nacimiento: (place of birth)
Fecha de nacimiento: (DOB)
Direcci?n: (address)
Tel?fono: (tel no)
Celular: (cel no)
E-mail: (e-mail)

Resumen de experiencia profesional:
(A very brief para describing yourself and your experience.)

Educaci?n:
(Educational qualifications - high school, degrees, etc.)

Experiencia profesional:
(list of employers, job titles, dates)

Idiomas:
(languages)

Referencias:
(2 references, one professional - ideally your present or last employer; one personal/academic)

Inform?tica: (IT skills and experience if not the main area of expertise).

Informaci?n adicional: (other personal information that might be relevant. Some put hobbies and interests, travel.)

Actualizado: (last updated)

Hope this helps!

And don't forget to include a 2X2 photo with your CV. You may also simply print the photo on the top-left of the cover page.

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Hello.. when applying for employment in DR can a US version of a resume be used?? Or is a spanish resume a must?

J

joerusso

Hi,

I would like to know if any one could direct me towards the correct format of creating a resume in Spanish... I know it is completely different from the format we use in the US and I would like to find employment as a teacher in Santiago. Any help or advice anyone?

Thanks

OV Babies

Go to Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com they have great formats as well as if you want to post your resume there as well. That site is great!! in finding the right job for you. Hope this helps some, Joe

P.S a direct link to there resume services.

http://resources.monster.com/resume-writing-services/?msource=NAV_POSTRESUME

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
U.S. format can be used & may grab more attention (for better or worse) than a typical Dominican c.v.

The format Chirimoya posted above is very typical of what you see in DR. It will include things that U.S. employers "can not" ::wink wink:: consider in hiring decisions such as age, nationality, and physical appearance(the little foto), etc.

::ugh:: suckered into responding to an ancient thread by JRusso :tired:

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
question

I am not from DR so my past emplyers would aslo no be in DR...would the employer in DR still contact them?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Possibily

Depending on what kind of position they might/could contact your old employer.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Your 'curriculum vitae' is fine here for applying god testing jobs. Resume is equally as good. What you send in depends on the school, Americans are pretty droidlike when it comed to things like this but .English, English teaching is slightly more relaxed on approach and in the job itself.
Just my experience but find out where you are applying and send in accordingly.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
It's funny that I came across this thread this morning. Just yesterday I found a book, which I ended up buying, titled "How to Write in Spanish; Correspondence Made Easy, from Personal Letters to Business Documents" by Ligia Ochoa.

The book is written for English-speakers who would like to write various letters for both personal and professional reasons. It covers the do's and don'ts of writing emails, curriculum vitae, responding to official documents, filling out forms, etc. In the introduction the author writes, "This book is organized into eight units that present the types of written documents with specific communicative purposes most frequently used in Hispanic society today". The author also writes, "Writing in any language requires a certain involvement in the culture of that language. A good writer wil try to become familiar with the ways things are seen, done, and said int hat culture; he or she will learn what is important in that society and understand its norms of behavior, particularly those that affect written texts".

It contains sample letters and forms along with appropriate salutations (always a problem for me) and signatures, the proper way to write a street address on a letter, etc., etc., etc.

Another interesting, and beneficial in my opinion, perk of this book is that, in each section, it provides typical vocabulary and acronyms you are likely to encounter on a form or document. One very simple example in the book is a typical deposit/withdrawl slip for a bank. Vocabulary includes importe/ingreso (deposit), consignation (deposit slip), retiro (withdrawal), firma del interesado/del representante/del alumno (signature of the interested party/representative/student.

The book caught my eye in the book store yesterday. My husband needs to rewrite his resume in Spanish and after browsing through the book I decided to buy it. It's an easy read. Of course, it's not geared towards the DR or any other country in particular but it's a good starting point.

This book brought back memories for me. I worked for the airlines for many years and on every international flight we spent countless hours assisting passengers as they attempted to fill out local customs/immigration forms. Most had no idea what aduanas/fecha de nacimiento/apellido and so forth meant. For anyone considering moving to a Spanish-speaking country this is a great resource.

Note that I have absolutely no monetary interest or anthing else to do with this book. I just happened to come across it at Barnes and Noble yesterday. It's the first time I'd seen a book like this. Worth taking a look at. By the way, the publisher is McGraw Hill.

Reactions: waytogo
B

brad12

I have some different question , i.e I've heard employers don't bother reading cover letters, so aren't they just a waste of time?:surprised

Reactions: waytogo

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
I was always told that a cover letter is actually MORE important. It is supposed to 'summerize' your resume and it's where you can easily show that you're qualified.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I was always told that a cover letter is actually MORE important. It is supposed to 'summerize' your resume and it's where you can easily show that you're qualified.

It is also important to spellcheek any document you send to a potential employer!

Alvasin

Sep 30, 2011
Selecting your resume format is a major strategic decision. Real and compelling differences characterize the two most common formats, which have impact on the receptivity employers have to your initiatives.No universally "right" format is appropriate for all people. Your review of your own objective and background will be your most effective guide to selecting the best format for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.