any more news about the boat that sank off MC?

Sep 19, 2005
I read it yesterday afternoon...they think it had 34 , and picked up 2 survivors . If any one has any more ENGLISH information, Id love to read it.

bob

C

Chip00

Man that is really bad news and since it left from PP I guess we can assume that most were foreign tourists.

Does anybody know the cause like high seas etc?

Sep 19, 2005
Man that is really bad news and since it left from PP I guess we can assume that most were foreign tourists.

Does anybody know the cause like high seas etc?

chip, I doubt there were any tourists on that boat...what kind of fishing boat serves 30 plus tourist in the DR? I doubt they have party boats like they do in america.....

I think the hint about the fishermen was that they are being called "fishermen" when it is believed they may have been trying to illegally enter another country somewhere else....

Has any one ever heard of a PARTY fishing boat in the DR?

bob

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In this article they also mention they were fishermen.

Why would the media say they are fishermen for this story, but for every other story where the passengers were illegally trying to enter PR, they always mention that they were trying to illegally enter PR?

For now, I'll take the media's word at face-value, since they are the first to say illegal immigrants in these types of news.

-NALs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They WERE All Dominicans!

The "OIL SLICK" is still coming ashore in Sosua!

"Paleeeeeeeeeez"? They were not fishermen!

I was sitting in "Casa Manolo" in Santo Domingo a few years back. I was wearing black pants,a black "Turtleneck",and a black suit jacket. One of the new "Hostesses" said to an "old Hand", "What is a "PADRE" doing in a place like this, drinking and talking to all the girls!
She answered,"That is "Cris Colon",he IS a Padre,a "Padre de Ninos"!
Point being,anyone who knows ANYTHING about the DR knows that "Cris Colon" is NOT a "Catholic Priest",and that 30 people in an overloaded boat that sinks off the coast of the DR are not "Fishermen"!!!!

CCCCCRIS COLON
What were they using for "BAIT"? I always use 500 bills notes! when I go "FISHING"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 19, 2005
actually Nals i think I read it first on DR1.... and that they had FISHERMEN in quotations.....which to me is a tounge in cheek way of saying...the author doesnt believe it.........

I am open and honest as far as i know....I shoot from the hip...but it is based on real life...not preco-nived notions.....

has anyone else seen a domincian fishing boat with 39 hands aboard before?

for that matter has anyone seen many NON immigrant boats sink with lots of people on them????

fair to say that if a boat sinks with a bunch of people on it...it almost always if not is always a boat loaded with people trying to leave the country

bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
If you look at the pictures of the boat, you can clearly see the name painted on the bow, Yola.

The name of the boat was "Abracadabra" (like in the 1001 nights tale of lore). According to reports, the boat was a "mother boat" filled with smaller boats ("yolas") and their respective crews, which were supposed to be unloaded at an altitude (altura) (probably Banco de La Plata, close to Turks and Caicos) where the small boats by themselves could not reach. A wave tipped the mother boat with all the smaller boats inside and crews into the sea.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
actually Nals i think I read it first on DR1.... and that they had FISHERMEN in quotations.....which to me is a tounge in cheek way of saying...the author doesnt believe it.........

I am open and honest as far as i know....I shoot from the hip...but it is based on real life...not preco-nived notions.....

has anyone else seen a domincian fishing boat with 39 hands aboard before?

for that matter has anyone seen many NON immigrant boats sink with lots of people on them????

fair to say that if a boat sinks with a bunch of people on it...it almost always if not is always a boat loaded with people trying to leave the country

bob

ob;
As a matter of fact, the fishing boats from Manzanillo frequently have that many and more.
A few years back, one of theboats was swamped while being towed by another and 30++ fishermen died when the disabled boat capsized.
The "Captain" of the towing boat claimed he didn't know the tow-rope had parted, leaving the other boat at the mercy of the heavy seas.
They had been poaching in Bahamian waters and had engine failure while returning with a full load.

Texas Bill

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The initial newspaper reports in the El Caribe questioned the veracity of whether they were really fishermen or not..

However, what other poster have mentioned makes very good sense, especially after reading some of the first interviews.

A mother boat with smaller shells to fish off of reefs?
Hyummm

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I talked to the U.S. Coasties today and they were still seeking survivors. Persistent bunch of young lads they were. They had counted 20 as of about 10 this morning, but maybe the 22 # is right, don't know. I just know they have 2 Falcon jets and a helicopter refueling and going out again and again since the thing sank. US tax dollars at work. Seeing these guys reminded me how young our 'military' members are, being a shallow-water sailor myself in a previous life. I think I'm having a flashback, like the mushroom guy..wowww duude, like I'm still floating at sea.
But in all seriousness, some Dominicans did sadly lose their lives in this episode and the USCG is on it like white on rice, as if it were off the Florida Keys.

C

Chip00

I talked to the U.S. Coasties today and they were still seeking survivors. Persistent bunch of young lads they were. They had counted 20 as of about 10 this morning, but maybe the 22 # is right, don't know. I just know they have 2 Falcon jets and a helicopter refueling and going out again and again since the thing sank. US tax dollars at work. Seeing these guys reminded me how young our 'military' members are, being a shallow-water sailor myself in a previous life. I think I'm having a flashback, like the mushroom guy..wowww duude, like I'm still floating at sea.
But in all seriousness, some Dominicans did sadly lose their lives in this episode and the USCG is on it like white on rice, as if it were off the Florida Keys.

God bless them Coast Guards - it really makes one proud.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
On a Mission

They seemed to be totally on a mission come hell or high water. Very serious types. Semper paratus (sp) I think their moto is. I'll dig out the scrapbook maybe.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Today's press says that the captain of the vessel was rescued near Tortugue off the north coast of Hait?.

He reported told the CG that there were more nearby.

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Anyone in Puerto Plata who wants to check whether these people are/were fishermen or yoleros can go to the Marina de Guerra HQ at the port where the families have been for days waiting for news. A relative of our cleaning lady is still among the missing. His occupation is fisherman.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And if, by the way, someone thinks of suggesting that the three fishermen from Barahona who were on board were really planning to go to Puerto Rico or the US, please be aware that there are many fishermen in Puerto Plata who originate from Barahona. The fish stocks off Barahona got depleted so they make their way to other ports where they might pick up work to feed their families. More here:
El Nuevo Diario

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The search has now been called off. Clearly some devoted and hard working rescuers but there comes a time when more would be fruitless and it seems as if the families recognise that now. Looks like 21 fishermen were rescued alive, leaving 16 or 18 (reports vary) missing. Tragic. For those of us who have a god let's remember them & the bereaved in our prayers.