Emergency powers to deal with drug crime

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In DR, it would be worthless, as it is the government, the military and the police who leads the drug trade... Giving them more power would be just a way to eliminate competition from other drug-lords...

The drug economy is much much bigger than tourism, zona franca and all other combined, so this is no wonder why everybody and their cousin wants to be part of it...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The drug economy is much much bigger than tourism, zona franca and all other combined, so this is no wonder why everybody and their cousin wants to be part of it...
Are you sure about that?
I'm not saying it's not big biz, but bigger than all the others combined?
I really don't think so.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well....that would explain all the "yippetas", porche, ferrarri's,BMW's etc that you see at the beach on weekends.
Also explains how a little colmado owner from San Pedro can by a US$600,000.00 villa in Metro.
If one looks at the display of wealth that is in evidence compared to 8 years ago............................
Lots of drug money for sure!
Also lots of evidence of drug use. I can watch the dealers dealing from my kitchen window and take a walk down the street on weekends to that fancy restaurant on the beach and you'll see a little house nearby that gets lots of traffic. Most of us in the area know of four or five locations where drugs are available and we're not even users! It's that blatant.........
So....given the number of tourists in our area this past winter I'd say drugs are a bigger 'industry' than tourism in our small 'zona touristica'.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"en boca cerrada no entran moscas...."

In DR, it would be worthless, as it is the government, the military and the police who leads the drug trade... Giving them more power would be just a way to eliminate competition from other drug-lords...

I would not argue that it is not bigger "than tourism, zona franca and all other combined", however, it is definitely more pervasive. The drug economy touches all establishments of DR society. Myself, known as someone who has "no tiene pelos en la lengua", has been warned in more than subtle ways, to stop my nosiness, for example, a high police officer mentioning off-the-cuff the combustibility of my thatched roofs in Azua.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
As Squat mentioned, the military and police, to a certain extend, doubtless control the drug trade in DR.
With some exceptions, they have been on "the take" since time immemorial.
If the lower ranks can shake you for a bribe, what's to prevent the higher ones from getting their percentage for allowing the drug trade to flourish?

Since this is the case, what would "emergency powers" to Leonel actually accomplish? Absolutely nothing!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Have anyone here noticed that Per? is a heavily corrupt country too?

I wonder what Peruvians are thinking about crime and drug in that country. Hm, maybe the Peruvian military and police are in the deal too and if they are, it speaks volume as to how emergency powers can actually help deal with drug crime, even if some members of the law enforcers are also in the drug trade.

Also, the Dominican economy has been growing at a swift rate since the PLD took control. What does that mean?

It simply means that the GDP of the country has been growing quite fast and the GDP is measured by collecting financial data of the largest companies in the various sectors of the economy in the country, comparing such data to the previous fiscal year and adjusting the results for inflation, etc.

Hm, maybe that has something to do with increasing affluence? Economic growth has that tendency and economic growth is what has been occuring in the DR during the PLD's rule.

-NALs

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Going after $$$.

[

Hm, maybe that has something to do with increasing affluence? Economic growth has that tendency and economic growth is what has been occuring in the DR during the PLD's rule..

-NALs[/QUOTE]

Maybe DR, because is wealthier, is becoming a destination rather than a transfer point for drugs. But then, who's rich enough to buy? It seems difficult to imagine anyone there that can support such an expensive habit.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Maybe DR, because is wealthier, is becoming a destination rather than a transfer point for drugs. But then, who's rich enough to buy? It seems difficult to imagine anyone there that can support such an expensive habit.

It is widely known that one of the reasons drug use began to grow internally is because locals started to get paid in drugs, thus having to sell to the local market. The other ways that people are supporting this habit is through muggings, home invasions, theft of all kinds, etc...It is destroying the country.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
It is widely known that one of the reasons drug use began to grow internally is because locals started to get paid in drugs, thus having to sell to the local market. The other ways that people are supporting this habit is through muggings, home invasions, theft of all kinds, etc...It is destroying the country.

Sounds like DR Gone Wild............ For those that read the news

Joe makes videos of ...........Girls gone wild

Of course 2 were underage...The judge sez settle.....He sez Judge gone wild

He makes $30 million per year

And was just bailed out

Wendy"s is on the block...........Cheeseburger in Paradise

Hienz57@frenchfriedpotatoe

Have a great week all..............Jerry Jones

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I posted the link because..............well a 60 day MASSIVE purge would be possible. I'm not talking small fry - they'll kill each other over puntos anyway. I'm talking Presidential purge (via decree) of Public Ministry, Judiciary, Armed Forces higher echelons, Police (DNCD has started but has it netted all?), Senate and lower chamber. Presidential because we don't think he's involved personally in the industry, do we? Although maybe he has looked the other way sometimes or more likely been 'prevented' from seeing. Course ruling only by decree could bring all sorts of dangers but what's the alternative?

The people who need to go are the ones who protect the small fry. If some of us have noticed that some, for example, judges' decisions are suspect, or some Fiscals, then this isn't exactly a secret. Gringos will be the last to know, so if we've rumbled then the President must have too. Or maybe we should do a name and shame list?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
In my opinion legalizing and regulating drugs will do much less harm than is currently being done by the war on drugs.

You know I used to think that way too, but more and more I realize that unlike let's say alcohol, drugs just get a hold of the person in such a manner that the user will do whatever to whomever to get that next fix. Thus legalizing it will get rid of some of the problems such as killing for control of certain puntos, since companies will control the distribution, but you will still have the junkies who will shoot you dead for a couple of pesos to go and buy it at the colmado.

Anyhow, drugs won't be legalized In the US or The DR in my lifetime as there are very powerful interests making sure it stays the way it is. Since this is not bound to happen we would be better off going to the other extreme and have zero tolerance, such as Singapur has done.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I reported in another thread a while back that street prices of the most common drugs are selling below those of alcoholic beverages. My informants are now reporting that prices have fallen even further. The only reason for this dumping of drugs in the DR most be part of a machiavelian campaign to poison youth and corrupt the authorities.

I have just read an article from the prestigious research organization Centre for Research on Globalization. Here's an extract....

"Soaring Afghan Opium Production

The United Nations has announced that opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan has soared. There was a 59% increase in areas under opium cultivation in 2006. Production of opium is estimated to have increased by 49% in relation to 2005.

The Western media in chorus blame the Taliban and the warlords. Western officials are said to believe that "the trade is controlled by 25 smugglers including three government ministers." (Guardian, op. cit).

Yet in a bitter irony, US military presence has served to restore rather than eradicate the drug trade. Opium production has increased 33 fold from 185 tons in 2001 under the Taliban to 6100 tons in 2006. Cultivated areas have increased 21 fold since the 2001 US-led invasion.

What the media reports fail to acknowledge is that the Taliban government was instrumental in 2000-2001 in implementing a successful drug eradication program, with the support and collaboration of the UN.

Implemented in 2000-2001, the Taliban's drug eradication program led to a 94 percent decline in opium cultivation. In 2001, according to UN figures, opium production had fallen to 185 tons. Immediately following the October 2001 US led invasion, production increased dramatically, regaining its historical levels.

The Vienna based UN Office on Drugs and Crime estimates that the 2006 harvest will be of the order of 6,100 tonnes, 33 times its production levels in 2001 under the Taliban government (3200 % increase in 5 years).

Cultivation in 2006 reached a record 165,000 hectares compared with 104,000 in 2005 and 7,606 in 2001 under the Taliban

Multibillion dollar trade

According to the UN, Afghanistan supplies in 2006 some 92 percent of the world's supply of opium, which is used to make heroin.

The UN estimates that for 2006, the contribution of the drug trade to the Afghan economy is of the order of 2.7 billion. What it fails to mention is the fact that more than 95 percent of the revenues generated by this lucrative contraband accrues to business syndicates, organized crime and banking and financial institutions. A very small percentage accrues to farmers and traders in the producing country."