Ah, things are better. OR ARE THEY?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Here it is a Sunday morning and I?m feeling bright and chipper and I venture out to the back yard to take in the fresh air. While looking around I see my neighbors doing their daily routines and I think back to 9 years ago when I built this house. Nothing has really changed in all those years other then the house construction that was started behind me 5 years ago now has about 5 courses of block up. From all indications I estimate that the house may be completed somewhere around 2015 give or take a year, but will be occupied in about two years.

My next door neighbor has her tire rim mounted on three metal legs,(wood or coal burning stove), filled with a mixture of both wood and coal and has just poured an amount of gas on the fuel and she quickly jumps back as she throws a lighted match on the improvised stove. Her daily ritual includes the preparation of the meal for her extended family and this stove is what she uses to cook with every day. She had just returned from the little colmado across the street with a plastic bottle partially filled with this gas, kerosene mixture. Such a versatile product as it is used as a fire starter, ant killer and I have seen it used as a medical remedy for arthritis pain. There are probably other uses for this product but off the top of my head I don?t know what they are. As I watch this animation of fire starting I am reminded of my early days in the Boyscouts of America and how I was taught to take a stick of wood or two and shave slivers off and use it as kindling wood as it has a tendency to ignite rapidly and easily and therefore needs no other help other then a match, friction or sparks. I have seen this antiquated fire starting procedure even used out in el campo where the availability of acquiring this fuel is even more difficult. Of course I?ve also seen them use a small container to take a quantity of gas from a motor for this purpose. Being a smoker I am aware of the price of matches and the price of them has increased dramatically. As gas too his increased in price I would assume that the price of the gas, kerosene mixture has also. It is with those thoughts of prices that the thought occurs to me that if a person were taught how to properly start a fire then sales of this gas, kerosene mixture would maybe plummet and savings to the populace would increase. Hey, but I?m no financial wizard and I may be just talking out of my hat. But I digress.

In the process of reading the DR1 news of 18 April I got down to item 8 whereas a poll was conducted and 59% think the government is not efficient in its spending and seven out of every ten Dominicans felt that economic conditions were bad. On top of that 70% of those polled felt that the country was on the wrong road. I had to laugh at the figures only because of how they contradict a lot of what our DR expert has to say about this country.

Item number 9 would have brought merriment if the figures weren?t so true and to the point as to the situation faced by the average Dominican here. The fact that several basic items that Dominicans depend on to live, like milk, beans, garlic, sugar, plantains, bread, water and cooking gas have gone up anywhere between 52% to 200% since the PLD took power. Here is an article that discusses this issue.

Hey expert, what?s that you say about the economy here???? Are we really on a roll???? Darn, I get the impression that it must be that 11%, (the rich?), who said things are good and the 17%, (middleclass?), who said things are okay that might be in agreement with you. As 55% of those polled said that their economic situation is bad or very bad and as 55% is more then half the population here then I would venture to say that you are living in a fantasy world as to the true situation here.

Just for the heck of it let?s see if we can throw a monkey wrench into this whole equation. According to this article there is 30%, or more, of the population without legal documents that even say they are Dominican. It would appear to me that if a country doesn?t even know how many true citizens it has then any speculation concerning numbers can?t be anywhere near to being correct and therefore are more then likely that things are a lot worse then what is being published.

Rick

Last edited:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
And whose fault is it that things are overtly expensive? The gov? The agricultural growers? Or the enterprising distributing bandits that steal big time from the poor by hiking up prices with impunity?
As I mentioned in one of my posts, there's no logical reason for a tomato costing more in SD than here in MD!
I can understand petroleum derivatives selling for what it does. We have to import that commodity. But what about produce that is locally grown? There's no import tariffs, no sale taxes or any other additional costs to justify the astronomical prices! some must be getting extremely rich by exploiting the poor.
Perhaps I don't know enough to make judgments on why prices should be what they are. Somebody enlighten me.... Please.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Supply and demand...... isn't that what capitalism is all about? Prices are reflected by the willingness of the consumer to purchase the product and when the collective consumer no longer can afford to purchase the product then it is either taken off the market or the price is reduced to an affordable level.

But does that work here in the DR where I've seen merchants sit on inventory for what seems like eons waiting to eek out that one Peso rather than turning the product and keeping the cash flowing?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No Longer So

I am told that there was a time when the inspectors of the price control agency (yes, it exists) used to go out of their offices and do their WORK....
Good ol' days.

m'frog

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Head lice killer...

This to the OP:
For your information, kerosene also works to kill head lice infestations! I have seen my Domincan mother-in-law wet her grandchildren's head with kerosene, wrap their heads with a kerchief or a plain rag, and after an hour or so, voila!, no more lice! A wonderful, inexpensive remedy! Who knew?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And whose fault is it that things are overtly expensive? The gov? The agricultural growers? Or the enterprising distributing bandits that steal big time from the poor by hiking up prices with impunity?

Well, the government is certainly squeezing the businesses tax wise. It appears 3386 businesses closed last year; those were the ones with telephones so probably others closed which didn't have a phone..........
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=123298&guid=9F5CAF22B9914A3A9B9BB687E8FC3697&Seccion=69

And now there are rumours that E. Leon Jimenez group might be thinking of moving to Costa Rica with loss of another 3000 jobs..........:ermm:
Desde Dominicana

Then there's the World Economic Forum putting DR in last place among Latin American countries for attractiveness in private investing in infrastucture:
World Economic Forum - Latest Press Releases

Then there are the prison figures: of a prison population of 14,434 some 10,500 are on remand (i.e. not sentenced)

Then there's the Banco Central debt as more and more certificados are emitted. And I haven't even got to crime and drugs yet. ;)

So in answer to are things better................. maybe for the super rich, I wouldn't know. Certainly not for the average Josefina. And worryingly, very worryingly, the gap between the haves and have nots appears to be widening. On the one hand massive glitterati type investments by Trump & Co, the Hazourys and others. And on the other, for the average citizen no apparent right even to the crumbs from the top table. Coupled with no Government net to fish up the indigent and the recently unemployed.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This to the OP:
For your information, kerosene also works to kill head lice infestations! I have seen my Domincan mother-in-law wet her grandchildren's head with kerosene, wrap their heads with a kerchief or a plain rag, and after an hour or so, voila!, no more lice! A wonderful, inexpensive remedy! Who knew?

Warning: Smoking can be hazardous to your health.Studies show may cause cancer. And for those smokers that use kerosene for shampoo be sure to have large bucket of rinse nearby.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you Lambada for those links. Those that I have read I've found very interesting and as I continue to read it looks like it will be a bit late when I finsh.

Rick

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The more things change the more they remain the same. With that said I don't think many things are now better and in fact are worse. In the 11 years I've been here my impression is that despite what advances have been made, the quality of life here has declined. I've said this on other posts and now I'm having more and more of my Dominican friends at all social levels saying the same thing. One even wished we'd return to the Truillo years with the law, order and overall societal well being that his dictatorship maintained. How I wish this decline weren't so as after these years here, I can't help but identify with my Dominican friends and have compassion for the tribulations they are subjected to by continued governments that have absolutely no thought for the well being of their people. And when a Dominican really opens up and exposes his real feelings, the despair and hopelessness of "more of the same," an existance that does not bode well for them becomes readily apparent.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
How I wish this decline weren't so as after these years here, I can't help but identify with my Dominican friends and have compassion for the tribulations they are subjected to by continued governments that have absolutely no thought for the well being of their people. And when a Dominican really opens up and exposes his real feelings, the despair and hopelessness of "more of the same," an existance that does not bode well for them becomes readily apparent.

I absolutely agree. So will it be dictatorship or revolution? Some days I almost feel like I almost have a responsibility to get one started.......... I know, that's not tenable, being a gringa and all, but...........you lose patience.
Politicos here are not going to ameliorate peoples lives (that includes all parties). So what will?

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
I absolutely agree. So will it be dictatorship or revolution? Some days I almost feel like I almost have a responsibility to get one started.......... I know, that's not tenable, being a gringa and all, but...........you lose patience.
Politicos here are not going to ameliorate peoples lives (that includes all parties). So what will?

I agree wholeheartly that the government needs to step in and give some relief to the people. The question is where do they start?

Here's a hypothetical situation.. Let's say the Juan and Juanita live in the campo somewhere in bfe DR. They have 12 children and neither adult has a regular monthly paid job. Neither one is literate and Juan gets by by selling fruit and veggies when he can and does odd jobs when they become available. What do you do to give them hope for the future?

Where do you start?

In the 1930's Teddy Roosevelt started a massive public works project in the United States. The plan worked. I think that something along these lines would work here as well. It would put people that want to work to work and at the same time build a proper infrastructure in the country that would allow the private sector to thrive.

Why hasn't this idea been raised and where are the leaders in this country and have a vision of the future.

Would a giant works project help Juan and Juanita?

I don't think that the DR has the ability to impliment something of this kind because of the culture of corruption that exists. Also, there seems to be a culture of indifference here from the rich and political when it comes to the poor. It just seems strange that a country that is professed to be so intergrated with the church that it doesn't do anything about greed.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
The solution is as clear as a sunny day in Santiago!

This is what needs to be done:

1) Invest all the surplus revenue, the gov has already collected, in building two 800 megawatt generating plants.

2) Eliminate taxes across the board for foreign industries willing to invest heavily in manufacturing and assembly of consumer goods.

3) Eliminate each and every encumbrances that retards exportation.

4) seek to establish a trade pact with the European Union.

5) Improve existing seaports by expanding its capacity to expeditiously ship out products and produce.

5) Embark on a 10-year plan to be self-sufficient in ethanol production.

6) All motor vehicles will need to run on a 90% ethanol, 10% gasoline mixture by 2020.

Our only solution to what ails us today is to emulate China. If they were able to become the awesome economic superpower they are today, so can we.

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
This is what needs to be done:

1) Invest all the surplus revenue, the gov has already collected, in building two 800 megawatt generating plants.

2) Eliminate taxes across the board for foreign industries willing to invest heavily in manufacturing and assembly of consumer goods.

3) Eliminate each and every encumbrances that retards exportation.

4) seek to establish a trade pact with the European Union.

5) Improve existing seaports by expanding its capacity to expeditiously ship out products and produce.

5) Embark on a 10-year plan to be self-sufficient in ethanol production.

6) All motor vehicles will need to run on a 90% ethanol, 10% gasoline mixture by 2020.

Our only solution to what ails us today is to emulate China. If they were able to become the awesome economic superpower they are today, so can we.

I agree with all of your points exept the one about China. I do a lot of business with China and have for the past 15 years so I've seen the economic 'rise' of China. China now has over a billion people and over the past 15 years the majority of the population has grown poorer and poorer. There is a new economic powerhouse in China however it is artificially surrounded by Shanghai, Beijing, Dalian, Qingdao and now Hong Kong. China has the worst enviromental record of any country in the world.

What's happening in China now is almost all social services have been eliminated, this includes healthcare and schooling. Most of the manufactuing plants in China employee young women that come from the country, work in the factory, sleep at the factory and send ever Yuan home to their family.

I think we're more likely to head in the direction of Brazil, but still we don't have the manpower/population to really compete internationally with these countries.

We need a niche market, something that can be produced here cheaply and exported. It's got to be something that other countries are not doing and something that we'll do better and cheaper than them if they start to copy.

Any ideas on what we have that the other countries don't?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Any ideas on what we have that the other countries don't?

I can give you a list, but, if the government impediments to doing business are not removed, nothing will be wildly successful, or big enough to build an economy on.

Just a few things .. we can grow things .. vanilla, coffee, cacao, noni (in sand at the ocean's edge) and a host of other exotic tropical fruit and veg that are becoming main stream for other tropical countries. Any idea what you pay for a star fruit (Carabola) in the US?

We have semi precious stones .. a little mining, a little polishing and hey presto. In my country we had tourist tours to the different polishing plants and tourists could buy their stones and have something made on the spot... Nice outing!

We are of course a tourism destination, but besides the few big ones with lots of investment capital, we're making quite a mess of that asset.

One thing that I know will work .. if government hackles are removed and investment is allowed to flow, is simply dried fruit, i.e., take the fruit and veg that is being produced now, and take the next step. Can it, dry it, process it ... non-destructive processing, keep it organic and keep the processing healthy. Do you know how much rice grows in the DR? Have you ever seen wild rice grown? Do you know what the prices are for wild rice on the market or on the shelf? Is there any hope in hell that someone could grow organic wild rice and export it without the Government taxing the process to hell and gone? No!

I investigated bringing in a small distilling plant to make essential oils. I did not do it. Why? The market is not conducive for doing business.

Sorry .. have to run so the next bit is a long sentence...

Remove the hands stretched out for handouts, encourage a growth oriented business market, create some focus groups that have something between the ears and can creatively look at what is there, what can be done with it and take it to market ... and things will look different. Branding .. create a brand .. Jamaica, what comes to mind? Jerk Spice and Seasoning and Dreadlocks .. not just to me, but to everyone that has ever heard about the country. What is our brand? What is our tourism brand? Nothing! (I'll quickly answer my own question here ... Batchata, Beer and Chicas) That is why business does not flow and job opportunities will remain for low class workers, e.g., free zone or hotel serving class.

I've just investigated an organic farm that processes their own products .. farm is small. I can walk around it in about an hour. But, they are sweetly profitable. Sometimes I look at the DR and I want to cry at the wanton waste of people's minds and the resources.

consulting bill for all these ideas to follow

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Chris--a little confused on where you saw the farm.(Hope this info doesn't set off the meter for consulting fees)
john

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Not in the DR johne ;)

I wrote the previous post too fast .. needed to add a little capital investment as well! And I'm off topic as well. Let me just say, things could be better!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
And some new press ..

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=23738

"Washington.- Dominican Republic occupies, next to Bolivia, last place in the preference of investments in infrastructure.
The data is from a report of the World Economic Forum, titled "Benchmarking for Attractiveness of Private Investment in Latin American National Infrastructure," published by the magazine Latin Business Chronicle, in its Monday, April 30 edition."

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
And some new press ..

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=23738

"Washington.- Dominican Republic occupies, next to Bolivia, last place in the preference of investments in infrastructure.
The data is from a report of the World Economic Forum, titled "Benchmarking for Attractiveness of Private Investment in Latin American National Infrastructure," published by the magazine Latin Business Chronicle, in its Monday, April 30 edition."
Errrrrrrr Chris?.............. see post #7. Wasn't that the one that Lambada mentioned?? Obviously Dominican Today have some catching up to do!! :cheeky: ~ Grahame.