Impressions of the DR on DR1.com

On average, how do you feel about the DR after reading a few threads in the forums?

• Very optimistic

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Cautiously optimistic

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • Neutral

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Cautiously pessimistic

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Very pessimistic

Votes: 13 12.9%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
On average, how do you feel about the DR after reading a few threads in the forums?

A) Very optimistic
B) Cautiously optimistic
C) Neutral
D) Cautiously pessimistic
E) Very pessimistic

-NALs

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
A quien te refieres?.....

I gather you are asking "Newbies" or members who have NOT visited the DR often (or yet), correct?.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I gather you are asking "Newbies" or members who have NOT visited the DR often, correct?.
Everyone. I'm more interested in getting an idea of what many members think of the DR when reading the various threads, regardless if they are "experienced" with the DR or have never been to the DR.

It would be even more interesting if people would post the reason for why they may feel optimistic or pessimistic after reading the threads. Maybe the crime threads causes them to think twice about the DR or maybe they are not shaken by opinions and simply take them into consideration along with other info.

-NALs

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Dime que no, por favor!!....

Camarada, are you sure you want me to voice my opinion?.

PLEASE, I BEG YOU, say NOOOOOO!!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Aqui va'.....

Go on... give it your best shot! :cheeky:

-NALs
Ok, you want it, here it goes.

It's my OPINION that this site is, perhaps, the BEST DR site on the whole web (numbers don't lie).

But, let me tell you, there are SOME characters here, ay papa', para que te digo!!.

When I came back from my little "hiatus", when I logged in, I couldn't believe what I was reading. It thought to myself, "what's the F, when did DR1 bacame AntiDR.com". It seemed that MANY threads were started just to discredit the Dominican Republic and it's people.

A Dominican farted, a thread was started. A Dominican robbed someone, a thread was started. When a member had a bad experience ANYWHERE in the DR, a thread was started.

I mean, what's a newbie to think then they read such garbage. SOME of these people, rather than look for a solution to a problem, "le tiran gasolina al fuego". I am not a Saint and I, at one time or another, have been guilty of such also.

On the same token, there are a BUNCH of members that you can see, by reading their posts, that they TRULY care about the DR and it's people!. Their love for the "patria", even if not their "patria", is demonstrated in their posts.

Those members are the one who post something like this: "yes, there are hookers in Sosua, but the whole town is NOT like that, how dare you say all women in Sosua are hookers, you prick!".

Those same members DO NOT try to "cover the sun with one finger". They praise the DR but at the same time are NOT blinded by the fact that the DR is NOT all fun, beaches, Presidentes, easy women and a 24/7 "Party Paradise".

Not to make "The Rock" Sosua's next President, but I am yet to see/read a post where the man doesn't come to Sosua's defense when someone says/posts something negative about Sosua. Because the man is objective is the reason I enjoy reading his posts so much! (Schit, now I am doing a "Rick Snyder", lol).

I just don't see the point, AFTER making the DR your home, why look for every single negative thing about the country and then make a thread about it. It's not like the things that happens in the DR doesn't happen anywhere else!.

Don't get me wrong, there are negative things about the DR that should be told (and to be honest, it bothers me less if told my a Dominican, yes, even if the non-Dominican have lived there 100 years!.), of course, BUT ABOUT EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING, come on!.

And when they generalize, a mi madre, NI SE DIGA!!. SOME of these people don't know how to write "SOME", "NOT ALL", "A LOT", "A FEW", "MOST", "MANY", etc, even if their lives depended on it!!.

Hey NALs, are you sorry now, for asking for my opinion?.

Well, you know what they say about opinions.......

BTW, ALL of you:

The above is MY OPINION. It's NOT to be debated. Post yours without quoting my post, unless you are ready and can take more of mine, gracias!.

If you are NOT a "BigBoysAndGirls" club member, DON'T BOTHER!, hehehe.

Last edited:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
If I may. Although I haven't been back in four years, I have kept abreast of what's going on from various sources including a brother who lives there permanently.
He complains about much of the same things that talked about in this forum. However, he says he'd rather live there than the US in spite of all the difficulties.
There are intangibles that make it tolerable; He's also giving it a "ten" for the climate, good beer and chicas. plus he doesn't have to work for a living anymore. He's having the time of his life. Wish I lived there too!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know that Miguel is not looking for debate or, I presume, support. But I'll force a little support on him and say that I see it pretty much as he does.

My credentials include having lived here 21 years and a poster on this board for many years.

C

Chip00

Re Migueliticos post:

As my 4 year old would say "Y yo tampoco" (she really means tambien!)

Good one primo - I agree. I have lived here one year with the Mocana and I already like it better than back home - really because I like the Dominican genial attitude and have such a good time when I go out talking to the general public and acquaintances.

I like being able to go into a business or whatever and say "buenas tardes" and expect people to make notice and respond back "buenas tardes". (of course that is where the customer service ends haha)

I like being able to smile at children and say "Dios te bendiga" and pat them on the head - and guess what - they usually smile back.

I like that I can load up the family for a road trip and a "cold one" and no one cares(ok maybe somebody does but I have 200 pesos and my cunas Police Capitano card for that, wepa!)

I like that I can smile at people and they will smile back and nobody thinks I'm weird or something.

I love the weather - I went to the States for two weeks in Florida and SC and I couldn't wait to get back!

I don't like what the politicians are doing with my already beloved country(remember I have Quisqueyan roots so I am Dominican, ya!) but I have a plan for that:

Vote pa' mi - el gringo cibaeno!!!!

Believe it or not I already have supporters!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Miguel's "Dominicanismo" Is Showing

I have said it before,and I will say it AGAIN!!!!
Dominicans have a VERY THIN SKIN!!! They NEVER accept criticism of ANY KIND! To them it is ALWAYS "someine else's fault"! "Worse" everywhere else.etc.,etc., etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They don't realize that in order to "FIX" a problem,you FIRST have to recognize that you have a problem!

Newspapermen have a "Saying", "If It BLEEDS,It LEADS"!!!
Same goes for DR1! Haw many people would log on to DR1 to read posts about the "Flower Show" at the "Jardine Botanico"????
Dr1 is boring enough,(Ever read the "SAME" never ending posts on "Mars "Penis"????)
As far as "DOMINICANS" on DR1 are concerned in regards to Negative Posts, "The Emperor Has NO CLOTHES"!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I am in BOSTON,Why is EVERYTHING so Clean here???????

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
couldn't help myself- must correct u

Vote pa' mi - el gringo cibaeno!!!!

Believe it or not I already have supporters!!!!!

unless you really meant to say "vote pa' mi", lol
but if not it should be....

VOTE POR MI.......or VOTE POI MI, lol:cheeky:

C

Chip00

unless you really meant to say "vote pa' mi", lol
but if not it should be....

VOTE POR MI.......or VOTE POI MI, lol:cheeky:

Thanks! I figured I'd warn them up front that I was a gringo to prepare them for my Spanish which sometimes sounds like I'm choking on something!hahaha

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Dime otra vez....

I have said it before,and I will say it AGAIN!!!!
Dominicans have a VERY THIN SKIN!!! They NEVER accept criticism of ANY KIND! To them it is ALWAYS "someine else's fault"! "Worse" everywhere else.etc.,etc., etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They don't realize that in order to "FIX" a problem,you FIRST have to recognize that you have a problem!

Newspapermen have a "Saying", "If It BLEEDS,It LEADS"!!!
Same goes for DR1! Haw many people would log on to DR1 to read posts about the "Flower Show" at the "Jardine Botanico"????
Dr1 is boring enough,(Ever read the "SAME" never ending posts on "Mars "Penis"????)
As far as "DOMINICANS" on DR1 are concerned in regards to Negative Posts, "The Emperor Has NO CLOTHES"!!!!!!!!!

I am in BOSTON,Why is EVERYTHING so Clean here???????
That my "Dominicanismo" is showing, you say, well I guess you missed a few of my posts, out of the "Mars, Penis" forum, as you call it.

It's pretty simple, if I am moving to a country and all I am going to do is complain about said country and be miserable, then why move there?.

Or as DR1 member, ZEUS, so diplomatically says:

Whomever don't like the country, GET THE F*** OUT!. As simple as ABC.

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Warts and all,

is how I appreciate DR1. As a newbie preparing for my first trip to the DR last January, I read and read. Yes, some info was scary. If anyone has traveled outside their home country boundaries, then they should know how to extrapolate the appropriate information. The forum information was invaluable to me and accurate to boot. As you see, I'm still reading and still learning in prep for next January's trip. Cautious at first yes, but ready to lock and load that suitcase.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As Long As Pretty Young "Dominicanas" .."Give IT Up" For 400 Pesos...

I will stay here forever!!!
The rest of the place "SUCKS"!
Well,the girls do too,so I guess that ain't ALL BAD!:cheeky:

Sep 19, 2005
I will stay here forever!!!
The rest of the place "SUCKS"!
Well,the girls do too,so I guess that ain't ALL BAD!:cheeky:

hey ccccc didnt anyone ever teach you how to jerk off??????:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

you cant make a life of chasing tang...

even if you are retired and tired ha ha ha h

if you cant take my advice, at least send pictures ha ha ha

bbbboby

Sep 19, 2005
Nals, it is almost impossible for anyone who has been here any length of time to vote in the poll. Because no "few threads" will carry any weight . And those who are new may have only read specific forums......

I think that opinions can be formed based on what people read on this forum, but it really needs to be more than a few threads.

There is a good balance here though.....you can pull way more information from these pages than the standard sterilized news you read in the various DR papaers.

Id say that i would vote for very pessimistic. I cant even think of ignoring all the issues even if i am laying on some fantastic beach with my GF....I have to GET back to her house somehow.....and therein lies just the beginning of the issues. Safety, gas, road conditions, civil unrest, lose domestic animals ect ect. doesnt look to improve soon...even if it is 85 degrees with a great breeze and we have a cooler full of cold drinks and my woman has that look in her eyes, that she wants to try and break me in two again...:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is entirely possible to criticize DR and yet live here. it's just common sense speaking when gringos whine about this place....
should i see dr1.come BEFORE i came here i would not have come. i would miss on being with minovio and meeting a bunch of good people.
yes, the view of DR on dr1.com is pessimistic, i think, but one has to LIVE here to see that some things are in fact better then described (and some things are worse).
i am still not entirely happy in here but i do not tear my hair out in despair that i came here....