Getting back from Barahona

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Hello folks...

Got back from our 9 day trip to Barahona a few days ago and will soon be posting some photos of the trip.

Our biker group will be arriving in Dominicana on June 2 and we'll be there until the 12 of this month.

Had a great time as always

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello folks...

Got back from our 9 day trip to Barahona a few days ago and will soon be posting some photos of the trip.

Our biker group will be arriving in Dominicana on June 2 and we'll be there until the 12 of this month.

Had a great time as always
Look forward to seeing the pics.
Been way too long since last going out that way, and anxious to go back.
BTW: The country is called the Dominican Republic or the DR for short.
A Dominicana is a female Dominican.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Sorry Rocky... I was using the term not as a typical English language user would use it. Throughout Latin America and the Caribbean we use the word "Dominicana" not only to refer to the ladies of our neighboring island but also as a shortened version for the full name for the country.

The first set of photos have already been realeased. These cover the portion of road 44 from Barahona to Oviedo and back.

Larimar Coast Photos

I also did a small video showing the enigma of the Polo Magnetico. Quite funny this place. Anyone have any ideas?? Polo Video

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sorry Rocky... I was using the term not as a typical English language user would use it. Throughout Latin America and the Caribbean we use the word "Dominicana" not only to refer to the ladies of our neighboring island but also as a shortened version for the full name for the country.

The first set of photos have already been realeased. These cover the portion of road 44 from Barahona to Oviedo and back.

Larimar Coast Photos

I also did a small video showing the enigma of the Polo Magnetico. Quite funny this place. Anyone have any ideas?? Polo Video
Super fantastic pics.
I luv'em.
Any chance you could tell us where some of those hotels are located, for future travelers?

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
The Apartahotel Pontevedra is right off highway 44 about 7 clicks out of Barahona due south. It is before you get to Bahoruco. It is amall and cozy basically consisting of 10 small cabins that are basically small studios.

I will try to get their internet address and put it up for you later.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The Apartahotel Pontevedra is right off highway 44 about 7 clicks out of Barahona due south. It is before you get to Bahoruco. It is amall and cozy basically consisting of 10 small cabins that are basically small studios.

I will try to get their internet address and put it up for you later.
Kool.
That's my favorite area, just South of Barahona, along the coast, before the road turns in for Pedernales.
The water there is simply different and beckons you to dive in.
It's what tropical dreams are made of.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Motorcycler, sure loved your hat! Did you know that many unwary travellers going down the road to Polo, and stopping at the place marked "polo magn?tico" (there are at least three spots), experience symptoms of nausea, confusion or disconfort, akin to motion sickness?. My own speculation is that the gravitational anomaly of the "polo magn?tico" is related to our own "anomalous" neurological configuration, more specifically, to our own primitive brain processes that produce visual perceptions. The study of human perception and consciousness is still in its infancy, and most scientists until know have avoided it like ancient mariners avoided the Sargasso sea...

C

Chip00

Motorcycler, sure loved your hat! Did you know that many unwary travellers going down the road to Polo, and stopping at the place marked "polo magn?tico" (there are at least three spots), experience symptoms of nausea, confusion or disconfort, akin to motion sickness?. My own speculation is that the gravitational anomaly of the "polo magn?tico" is related to our own "anomalous" neurological configuration, more specifically, to our own primitive brain processes that produce visual perceptions. The study of human perception and consciousness is still in its infancy, and most scientists until know have avoided it like ancient mariners avoided the Sargasso sea...

They have a couple of these in the States. You are right Mirador, what most people don't realize is that these are just optical illusions. If anybody doubts that just have a surveyor go out there and establish a "benchmark" lower that the road then take "elevation" shots along the road and compare them. One will find out that the elevation of the road from the "starting" point will gradually decrease even though it looks like it is going uphill.

Actually, a much simpler test can be done with a cheap hand level and a pole or a long stick.

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
Wow beautiful pictures motorcycler:
I have a dominican friend that has been here in Canada for 6 years and he is from Bahrona so I am definitley going to show him these great shots of his home. Next trip I am going to have to take some time to explore this beautiful country some more!! Thanks again for sharing.

Lizzard

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
These are fantastic pics, can you tell me exactly where the waterfalls are that you have shown

Ladybird I am uploading the map of the stretch of road that we traveled. Find Barahona then follow route 44 south until you find San Rafael. There are your waterfalls.

To be exact you have two waterfall areas. One public...(photo 294) which you basically run into as you pass it on the highway and the other is called Villa Miriam (photo 56). Villa Miriam is found taking a right turn on the next road after the San Rafael waterfalls. It is private and for a minimal admission fee you can delight yourself in icy cold spring fed mountain water. Icy for us Tropicans that is...

481486111_7839b968d0_b.jpg

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com

The hat is sacred Mirador:bunny: I picked it up a few years ago on my wanderings in the island of Antigua and is always ready to travel anywhere and everywhere.

I definitely gather from your post what most signs point to...an optical illusion. But is is funny what conclusions one can arrive at with a fertile mind. In june when we return we will make another video of the polo but this one will be a comedy...still working on some ideas....

I don't know if you caught it but we used two different places to shoot the scenes which are about a quarter of a mile from each other. The third I have yet to find.

Take care and if you are in Barahona in june maybe we can meet and chat a while. We'll be staying at the hotel in front of Cafe Melo...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I also once had a "magic" hat. I would dare not drive without it. I was totally convinced that by wearing it I would avoid any kind of trouble, including accidents. Then one day I parked my SUV by a river and decided to take a dip. When I returned to my automobile, I noticed it had been broken into. I had left my clothes, revolver, tools, etc., etc., inside. Everything was there, except my hat!!!

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Pop, still trying to work out the details on my end, but I think I can manage a trip down to Santo Domingo towards the end of the year. Let's plan on a little side trip down to Barahona. I barely remember that area and the pics from Motorcycler look awesome.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
I also once had a "magic" hat. I would dare not drive without it. I was totally convinced that by wearing it I would avoid any kind of trouble, including accidents. Then one day I parked my SUV by a river and decided to take a dip. When I returned to my automobile, I noticed it had been broken into. I had left my clothes, revolver, tools, etc., etc., inside. Everything was there, except my hat!!!

Nyooo!!! talk about it being magic!!!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Great pictures, Motorcycler! Are the roads in as good a shape as they appear in the photographs? How long did it take you to drive to Barahona?

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Thanks. The roads are very good no troubles navigating them. I didn't understand the question on the time it took to drive to Barahona. Do you mean how long did it take us to go from Barahona to Oviedo and back? or How long did it take to get to Barahona from Santo Domingo?