Are you a Latino "Wannabe"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I came across an article discussing the many "Latino Wannabes" in the US, who not only learned spanish but incorporated the Latin culture with their own. The article referenced Beyonce a/k/a "Bianca" has SIX spanish tracks on her new album (Ahh dio, what is this world coming to?). Also, it has come to light that she is on the cover of People en Espanol and is officially "Los 50 Mas Bellos 2007" Did you know that Marc Anthony was named after a Puerto Rican Wannabe?? Marco Antonio Muniz

There are many others, so, are you a Latino Wannabe??

Inicio|People en Espa?ol
Beyonce is not alone in pulling a Latin act - Latino - NY Daily News

C

Chip00

That reminds me of when we used to live in Orlando and my wife was telling some lady at the salon that I only speak Spanish with her, eat rice and beans everyday and even had a Dominican flag on my car. The lady turned to me in a heavily accented broken Engish "I see dat ju are a Dominicano wanabe, jes?" That was the funniest thing in the world!

In response to the question I would say "yes". I felt it more comfortable in Orlando and wherever in the States to "play" hispanic. Who knows, maybe because there my wife is considered black, but being Hispanic people couldn't try to impose their own values on us. Also, for the most part, most gringos and some Hispanics thought I was Hispanic too.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Madonna started the Latino-wannabe trend years ago.

A few months ago The Kid was at a popular Salsa club in H-town and the best Salsa dancer around was a Vietnamese chick - she had flair and was hot to boot.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, Beyonce learned Spanish not because she's a "Hispanic wannabe", but for business purposes. The same reason why Jennifer Lopez produces albums in English and Spanish, all for business.

However, earlier this year Beyonce bought a multi-million dollar villa in Casa de Campo, so perhaps she learned Spanish to become better acquainted in her new vacation spot and such move simply allows her to expand her market size as well.

There are/have been some famous Dominicans who were wannabes of other countries. For example, for a time Charitin Goico used to say she was Puerto Rican and Andr?s Garc?a to this day wants to believe he's Mexican. Those people make such claim not for business purposes, but because they were/are "wannabes".

At least Charitin now acknowledges her Dominican nationality, but the same can't be said of Andr?s Garc?a.

There are plenty of others whose name I can't remember right now.

-NALs

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
If you do it because you honestly like the culture and want to immerse yourself in it be my guest. You want to do it because its trendy or fashionable you are a fool and definitely a wannabe.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.