Panama Question

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My nephew in the US Navy just got an assignment in Panama City Panama, and will report in 45 days. He doesn't know squat about it, and speaks no Spanish. Does anyone know of a BBS for Panama similar to DR1?

TIA

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Although I do not know what BBS means, this might be of some help:
http://www.panama-guide.com/

m'frog

I think that one gives the 'real estate vendors perspective', if you get my drift. ;)

Personally I prefer the alternative, tell it like it is, English language press in Panama. For example Eric Jackson's Panama News
Passionfruit flowers blooming on a fence in Panama
and Okke Ornstein's Noriegaville News:
The Noriegaville News

Both of these guys have been threatened, sued and worse for telling it like it is. And there are some very interesting lessons for example the case of Toni Grossi-Abrams.
Learn the lessons from a crime that's giving Panama an unflattering image

So my conclusion for your nephew, cobraboy, would be to be careful over the choice of expats with whom to hang out................

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think that one gives the 'real estate vendors perspective', if you get my drift. ;)

Personally I prefer the alternative, tell it like it is, English language press in Panama. For example Eric Jackson's Panama News
Passionfruit flowers blooming on a fence in Panama
and Okke Ornstein's Noriegaville News:
The Noriegaville News

Both of these guys have been threatened, sued and worse for telling it like it is. And there are some very interesting lessons for example the case of Toni Grossi-Abrams.
Learn the lessons from a crime that's giving Panama an unflattering image

So my conclusion for your nephew, cobraboy, would be to be careful over the choice of expats with whom to hang out................
He's Navy doing some serious security stuff. He's a big, strapping lad, well trained, but hasn't been out of the country much except on a carrier in Japan.

I doubt he'll hang around ex-pats.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks for the links. Can't find a BBS (message board), though.

Apple718

Apr 24, 2007
My nephew in the US Navy just got an assignment in Panama City Panama, and will report in 45 days. He doesn't know squat about it, and speaks no Spanish. Does anyone know of a BBS for Panama similar to DR1?

TIA

Most American soldiers that are stationed in Panama don't speak Spanish. I was stationed in Germany and I don't speak German, I got along just fine. It will be a good experience for your nephew. Maybe he might learn a second language. A lot of Panamanians speak English, I was there training for one month and found that to be true. I also found that the majority of soldiers that are stationed there love Panama and didn't want to leave when their time came up to leave. And don't worry, the soldiers that are there will teach him the ropes.