North Coast Market Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelkid

Jan 21, 2007
I know that this information has probably been discussed, but I was hoping to get some up to date information. I will be staying in Cabarete for the summer and was curious as to what two people should expect to pay each week for groceries. Any info would be great, and if not, I will just find out when I get there.

Thanks

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I know that this information has probably been discussed, but I was hoping to get some up to date information. I will be staying in Cabarete for the summer and was curious as to what two people should expect to pay each week for groceries. Any info would be great, and if not, I will just find out when I get there.

Thanks

A lot of variables of course... rice & beans? filet mignon?

I'm not an expert, I only stay for about a week at a time, and don't buy a lot of groceries. But what I have bought at the Supermercado in Sosua seems to be slightly cheaper then what I pay here in New England. Sosua is right down the road from Caberette.

And no haggling in the supermercado - fixed pricing...

Hope that helps a little...

cork

Aug 23, 2003
food budget

Thanks

My wife and I allot US$100 (RD$3200.) per week for groceries, and we don't go without our comfort foods. This does not allow for alcohol or dining out.

What you spend will depend on what you find that you will eat. The best prices are in Puerto Plata at Tropical and Jose Luis, but Playero in Sos?a is reasonable and is doing a wonderful job of obtaining US branded foods.

frankreyes3rd

Jan 15, 2007
Yum, Yum

Depends what you eat. If you try to eat north american, you can pay a lot, if you get someone to cook you/ teach you Dominican food, you will be eating great food and paying bugger all.
Half decent cheese slices are expensive as are non-controversial hotdogs. The things that are both bad for you and wonderful to stuff your face with over the sink at 2 in the morning, are expensive in my humble experience. Things that are good for you and are nice-ish, cost very little.
You have to cook them though.
Eating out is probably cheaper than eating North American at home.:glasses:

Caz

May 15, 2004
North coast market prices

As you are in Cabarete, Janets supermarket on the carreterra at the east end of town is the cheapest in the whole area - reasonable stock too but they don't carry a big range of imported foods. Mostly they have the basic ingredients and canned goods, fresh fruit and veg too.

travelkid

Jan 21, 2007
Thank you everyone, I will be mostly buying fish, vegetables, chicken, rice, etc. What about a case of Presidente at the market?

travelkid

Jan 21, 2007
Which market would be better: Janets or Super Marcado in Sosua? I have been to Super a few times, but it has been a while

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The big supermarket in Sosua is Called Playero, right on the highway, much bigger, cleaner, and better selection, especially of imported products, but not necessarily cheaper than Janets.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
If you are staying at Nanny's Estate, Janet's is very close to you and on the same side of the road. Maybe 3 or 4 hundred feet from Nanny's Estates.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you are staying at Nanny's Estate, Janet's is very close to you and on the same side of the road. Maybe 3 or 4 hundred feet from Nanny's Estates.

This is not correct. Janet's and Nanny Estates are on opposite ends of town, about 1/2 mile apart. Rosa's is the closest market, towards town on the opposite side of the street. Productos Sosua/Supermercado Cabarete is is a little farther, is on the same side of the street as Nanny Estates, but quite a long walk away, just after Ocean One.

Maybe you're thinking of the little supermarket/colmado that was in front of Bahia Arena - it's closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.