Say it ain't so, Big Papi

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Report: Ortiz not sure if he took steroids - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Report: Ortiz not sure if he took steroids
May 8, 2007

BOSTON (TICKER) -- It appears Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is not sure if he has taken steroids.

Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that (expletive) up," Ortiz told the paper. "I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it. You've got to be careful.

"I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

However, Ortiz, who hit a club-record 54 home runs last season, made light of the situation, joking that he should try steroids just to see what all the fuss is about.

"I should use steroids just to see what's going on," Ortiz joked to the Herald. "Nah. I have a good family. I want to see my kids learn and develop. I think I'm having an OK career. So, I take a lot of Advils, but I think I'm going to stop taking them. They say it (expletive) your liver."

Ortiz spent six non-descript seasons in Minnesota before signing with the Red Sox before the 2003 season. He has quickly become a Boston icon and one of the most popular players in baseball.

In 2004, Ortiz anchored a Red Sox squad which won the franchise's first World Series in 86 years - highlighted by a shocking comeback against the rival New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

The Red Sox became the first team in baseball history to come back from a three-games-to-none deficit to win a playoff series.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
When will they all come out of the anabolic closet? Clemens, Jeter, A-Rod, Nolan Ryan, Pujols, Soriano, Pudge, Bagwell, Sosa, Big Papi...

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
steriods aren't taken by big guys only...skinny pitchers take them too, for recovery and stamina and bone density build up...the reason why players look big with steriods, is because they follow it up with HGH to stay in the gym longer, and the combo of both makes the ballplayer more massive..

C

Chip00

steriods aren't taken by big guys only...skinny pitchers take them too, for recovery and stamina and bone density build up...the reason why players look big with steriods, is because they follow it up with HGH to stay in the gym longer, and the combo of both makes the ballplayer more massive..

When did Soriano start throwing them from the mound??????:)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Talvez.....

Hey Toney, I wonder if Ortiz is coming "clean"(of sort because of his MAYBE), because he feels a "wind" (rumor) coming towards him.

I hope that's not the case.

Btw: I have a better tittle to your thread:

"Big Papi, say you ain't Sosa", haha.

Hey Chip00:

About Soriano taking or not taking steroids, there's an old Dominican (actually, Spanish) saying that goes:

"No metas tu mano en candela por nadie"......

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Ortiz's comment is a defacto confession, as far as i am concerned...just like big Mac crying was a pure confession.

There is an industry out there designing ways to take that stuff and hide it.

I watched a movie about the runner Steve Prefontaine....and when i told a runner at work that I saw it, we talked about why he probably came in fourth in the olympics....and he said that it was because the finn who won the gold doped his blood....and he explained...they took his some of his blood 2 or 3 months before the race... and by the time the race came his body had replenished its own supply...then right before the race they gave him a transfusion of HIS OWN blood....no added chemicals.....just lots more blood to hold the oxygen he needed...

there was nothing to detect that wouldnt normally be there when he was screened for drugs afterwards

the europeans were experimenting back in the early 70's with stuff like that...what do you think goes on now days!!!!!

bob

citygrl

Apr 27, 2007
Hey Toney, I wonder if Ortiz is coming "clean"(of sort because of his MAYBE), because he feels a "wind" (rumor) coming towards him.

I hope that's not the case.

Btw: I have a better tittle to your thread:

"Big Papi, say you ain't Sosa", haha.

Hey Chip00:

About Soriano taking or not taking steroids, there's an old Dominican (actually, Spanish) saying that goes:

"No metas tu mano en candela por nadie"......

I kind of think it was just a slow news day yesterday... after all that oh so exciting hoopla we had here in DC about the Queen's visit. Seems the press just latched onto the story kind of quick. They were probably just bored to tears discussing cucumber sandwhiches and white ties. Mysterious protein shakes from DR, much more interesting.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
GNC in the DR ?? they make non-FDA approved products outside the US ??

didn't know that Big CryBaby.....

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Earth to something... - watch a baseball game. Soriano on steriods - hahahaha - give me a break! That guy is a stringbean! The MLB website says he is 6'1' and 180 - that's pushing it to say the least.

You are correct: I do not watch games (I do not watch TV), but I go to the games at beautiful Minute Maid Park, and when the roof is open, it makes for a magical evening, especially if the Cinci Reds are in town, or Barry Bonds, or the NY Mets.

And as an almost-senior citizen, I probably forgot more about baseball than what most folks here presently know, with the possible exception of Bostonian Cleef.

So, Chip, I believe daddy1 answered you perfectly, and so has Bob.

Remember, la televisi?n--como el pl?tano y la yuca--embrutece.

-The Kid

are you sure?

And as an almost-senior citizen, I probably forgot more about baseball than what most folks here presently know, with the possible exception of Bostonian Cleef.

something of the night - are you sure your statement above is accurate? There are plenty of us who read these threads who you don't know at all. We just might know a fair amount of baseball. Whadya think Cleef?

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006

something of the night - are you sure your statement above is accurate? There are plenty of us who read these threads who you don't know at all. We just might know a fair amount of baseball. Whadya think Cleef?

Steve, you are correct. And that's why I said "most folks." And I say that based on the comments by posters, most of which are based on emotions. Also, some posters think that because they are Dominicans, they are an authority on all things baseball. Emotions, if you ask me.

C

Chip00

Steve, you are correct. And that's why I said "most folks." And I say that based on the comments by posters, most of which are based on emotions. Also, some posters think that because they are Dominicans, they are an authority on all things baseball. Emotions, if you ask me.

Speaking of emotions - why would blaming Sammy for using for steriods without any evidence be any different?

None of the arguments for Sammy using steriods would ever have a chance in a legal environment - which is based on reason and not "gut feelings".

We Americans have turned into a bunch of armchair judge, jury and executioners IMO. Thanks goodness our courts at least have some semblence of reason left(not a whole lot granted).

C

Chip00

Reason, you say? Have you read your own posts on other subjects?

Hahaha! That's funny from a guy who was asking about "atheist" groups in one of the most Catholic countries in the Western Hemisphere. Ay papa - deje de comer tanto platano, si siga asi solo le faltaria un guineo pa' ser mono! Waha me me joke!(how am I doin' Miguel?)

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Hahaha! That's funny from a guy who was asking about "atheist" groups in one of the most Catholic countries in the Western Hemisphere. Ay papa - deje de comer tanto platano, si siga asi solo le faltaria un guineo pa' ser mono! Waha me me joke!(how am I doin' Miguel?)

Wow! You walked right into that one. I'm actually surprised it worked so well. But I can't take all the credit. Or... can I?

please don't

Chip00 - I am American, and I don't think you have the right or privilege to include me in your statement that starts with - We Americans have become..........

Also - regarding Sammy Sosa - in a previous post, I asked you to please tell me what you like about him. What makes him worthy of your praise? Please tell me. It's obvious that you like him very much.

C

Chip00

Chip00 - I am American, and I don't think you have the right or privilege to include me in your statement that starts with - We Americans have become..........

Also - regarding Sammy Sosa - in a previous post, I asked you to please tell me what you like about him. What makes him worthy of your praise? Please tell me. It's obvious that you like him very much.

Anytime somebody starts a phrase with "We Americans" or "We whatever" it is generally understood that the speaker is speaking in general terms. Obviously you don't fit into this category - nor do I - but many Americans do unfortuanately.

I like Sammy mainly because of the homerun derby, his attitude, he is fun to watch, and he is Dominican. I see no REAL reason not to like him. Steriods - chisme in my opinion. Corked Bat - bad decision but very Dominican and I believe him and forgive him. Quirkyness - maybe.

I do remember a story from an older gentleman who had the pleasure to witness one of the all-time baseball greats play when he was a young kid - Lou Gherig. After the game he hppoed on the dugout and asked Gherig for an autograph whereupon he responded to the then 10 yr old kid: "Hey kid get the phuck of the dugout!" Lesson - nobody is perfect - also I doubt Sammy would EVER say that to a kid.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
""I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

I wonder if he really called it "The Dominican". Dominican what???? hahah