Any advice for a SD newbie?

havoc999

May 8, 2007
Hi everyone. I recently moved to SD from the US and will be working here for the next few months. I've already been here several weeks and have seen a bit of what SD/DR has to offer. So far so good, the people are great and living here is about what I expected.

I really just wanted to introduce myself and say hello and ask the folks who know this place a couple of questions. I did a lot of research about DR before I took this assignment but is there anything specific I shouldn't miss while I'm here? Or anything I should watch out for/be careful of?

Thanks!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1, and to the DR. Your questions are too general... what are your interests/area of work/residence? That would help us guide and advise you. DR1 contains plenty of information if you search on the terms you're interested in: culture, sports, nature, entertainment, travel, adventure, love, politics, food, drink, social issues...

Also, if you want to meet a motley assortment of expats and Dominicans, next time there's a DR1 reunion in Santo Domingo you might like to join us. Watch this space. :)

Sep 19, 2005
while there check out everything you can in the colonial zone and anything that has to do with the old settlers they have the oldest church in the western hemishpere there...as well as s the theoretical tomb of christopher columbus.

be carefull of police corruption( wanting bribes)

if you dont really need to, dont wear your jewelry alot, and dont carry your purse loosely. dont walk so close to the road that a motorcycle guy can drive by and grab your purse.

Id suggest it with a friend for sure, but take a drive for the day down the shoreline to the west of the capitol...all the way to the border, or at least close....it is really a nice drive.

They have two Concert venues in the capital check them out, some of the biggest names that visit the DR do so at those places.

watch here for DR1 get togethers and indulge in the huge amount of info you can filter out of them

have fun

bob

havoc999

May 8, 2007
Thanks folks...Im a guy, 30, living near sarasota ave (seems like nice area).
I'm into live music, hanging out at the beach, bars, etc.

I will be working some night shifts and am a little worried about the cops -should I be?