Shopping - Markets

*kingpin*

May 7, 2007
All my family are from the caribbean and they have been requesting that I bring them back various items like aloevera sorrel ginger soursap green banana plantain spices etc.

Where can I get these items in Punta Cana ??

C

Chip00

All my family are from the caribbean and they have been requesting that I bring them back various items like aloevera sorrel ginger soursap green banana plantain spices etc.

Where can I get these items in Punta Cana ??

Do what I do - just stop by you're local bodega wherever you live and load up before you get to the house - it works every time.

Also, when I return to the DR, I stop by El Pola to buy products from "NY" for the family here and nobody is the wiser! :)

C

Chip00

yea.... but seriously

Sorry - I don't live in Punta Cana but maybe I can help as I live in Santiago and one shouls be able to get the same stuff there.

First of all what is sorel and soursap in Spanish?

Also, aloe vera may be able to be found in a nursery - see link to the nurseries in La Romana:

Paginas Amarillas (List)

And finally is the last item "green banana plaintain spices" one item or three? FYI one can't bring back fresh ffruit or vegetables from other countries to the DR as I understand it.

*kingpin*

May 7, 2007
Thank you for your considerate response.

The items you mentioned above are all different.

I intend to take these Items home with me , not to bring into the DR

C

Chip00

Thank you for your considerate response.

The items you mentioned above are all different.

I intend to take these Items home with me , not to bring into the DR

Whoops - I meant to say that you I don't think one can bring fruits and vegetable into the US with your luggage. Please check with your airline about this.

Also, the spices will be easy to find throughout the DR.

I still don't know the Dominican names for sorrel nor soursap.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are in Punta Cana, go to Veron and go to the supermarket there.
Platanos are green plantains (do not slice them)--Unless you live far from a metropolitan area, these are available in many supermarkets in the US
Aloe vera is savila and grows all over.
Soursop is the guan?vana fruit and you cannot take it back no matter what.
Ginger is genjibre and is widely available at the supermarket there in Veron or in Cortecito.
Sorry, I have never heard of sorrel except as a horse color.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hacienda Lucas Perez, which supplies all sorts of leafy vegetables like spinach and rucula to Nacional supermarket and others, produce sorrel. I doubt they reach the Punta Cana area, though. You could try Jumbo supermarket in La Romana but it's a bit of a way to go just on the off chance!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
When I left Santo Domingo the last time I was there-- in January my suit case was sent through this machine--very high tech -- checking for fruits and veggies. They had a HUGE sign in English and Spanish telling you what you could and could not bring into the US. It even included parsley!!!

It will be confiscated if you are flying through SD. If you land in Miami they have dogs that sniff out fruits and veggies too.

If they find them and you haven't reported them you will be fined. They are very serious about this because insects are brought into the country. They wind up wrecking havoc with the plant life here-- if we don't have them

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
You have a point. But I guess it's good info to have any way if I assumed incorrectly.

My luggage was checked even before I walked into the airport. I can't remember if they asked my where I was flying to. They just demanded it. The machine is outside the doors on the sidewalk at Las Americas.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Pretty embarrasing

Two or three times I have been in an airport when one of the sniffing dogs was circling the airport and stops at a piece of luggage and starts barking.
The person holding the luggage is like a deer caught in the headlights of a car.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Two or three times I have been in an airport when one of the sniffing dogs was circling the airport and stops at a piece of luggage and starts barking.
The person holding the luggage is like a deer caught in the headlights of a car.
Jajajajajajajajaja.