Marriage Visa for Dominican Girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

GH10ad

May 12, 2007
Hi I am a 31 year old British man. I met a 22yr old Dominican girl via an international dating site. We have talked 3 hours+ every day on msn or phone for 4 months then I went to visit her for 2 weeks.

All went well. She never asked me for money at any time. I went to her parents house twice. They accepted me well, we drank Brugal and they gave me Sanchcho. I took a gift of a bottle of Scotch whisky for her father and a gift for her mother. I also translated a letter into Spanish for her parents to read which explained the situation and that my intentions were good.

Throughout the whole visit, there were no negative vibes. In fact, her mother was extremely careful in that she was advising her daughter constantly to be careful for my safety(for example I was on buses a few times, some ok for me, some a big no-no).

They took me to pizza hut on a saturday night with the whole family! I offered to pay but the father said no. But the appreciated the gesture.

At the end of the holiday, the father offered to drive me from Santo Domingo to Punta cana free for my flight but I said it was ok i had a transfer paid for. There are too many little things to mention here but my opinion of them was good.

Ok. I have had months to think about the situation, the girl is a nice girl. I know there are bad ones around but I know where she works, where her father works, he is a taxi driver for a 5 star hotel. I can verify addresses as I posted an item to her work and she recieved it. Her father showed me the hotel and the security guard knew him. The family are all nice. I even had coffee with the grandmother.

When I left, her father gave me 3 little bottles of brugal and a t-shirt like one he was wearing, his favoutite singer, JL Guerra on it.

My girl said she was lookin gfor a foreign man because Dominican men are extremely unfaithful and she has been hurt several times. Having met Dominican men, i know exactly what she means. She was not bothered what country a partner was from.

Sure she might want a better life, sure there is the chance she wants to marry and get half my money when we divorce. maybe true, maybe not.

She could not possibly keep up such an act for so long though I feel. Face to face questions were asked, and every day on webcam faces are studied.

She is genuine. I have let her know though that I am heavily in debt, I have nothing to take because my last british partner took half and i am in the sh!t money wise. I have repeated this again and again to get it deep into her mind that I have no money and explained my debt in terms of pesos which she was amazed at.

By the way, she speaks excellent english as does her sister and uncle. Also, during the holiday, she left her celphone with me by mistake. Normally I would not check text messages bt I did because I need all the info I can get. I read and translated with a traductor and all were ok, all innocent.

There are only 2 things i worry about of I marry this girl. One, she might marry for money and divorce but if she wants half of zero then that is zero as I have no money. I can only afford to go to her country by working weekends.

Two, all might be fine, she is genuine, but she gets homesick and wants to leave. This is a real worry.

Here are the important questions now. She says her father will not allow her to stay overnight with a man because she is not married yet. She says coming here on a fiancee visa might also be a problem because if it does not work out, then she will return 'having lived with a man, not married'. Frowned upon. Is she saying this to pressure me into marriage or is it feasible that the culture is like this, strict fathers, religion etc, old fashioned values?

Ok, supposing I wanted to marry in her country and then apply for a wife's visa, how do I go about this? How long will it take in weeks or months? I know all I need to marry over there, I asked the Dominican embassy in London. What I don't know is what I do once we are married?

Do I have to prove I talk to her all the time? Do I have to have known her for a certain amount of time? And show this proof for the visa?

Will the UK immigration think it is a marriage of convenience?Are there any companies who will deal with all this for me if I pay them a fee(getting her a visa)?

I will ask more questions as we go along.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ok, this is what you need to prove for a UK resident visa.
1. Be married
2. prove that you have married for love - copies of phone records, emails, correspondence
3. Proof that you can support her - wages records, bank statements, mortgage papers, rental agreements
4. Copies of wedding photos
5 Copy of her birth certificate
6. photos of her as described by embassy
7. complete visa form - download from ukvisas.gov.com I think
8. her passport
9. copy of your passport

Think that is about it. Most important thing is that you married for love and you can support her. She takes everything above to the embassy, all well organised, gets interview appt in 2-4 weeks at moment, has interview and should find out next day if yes or no.

matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Here are the important questions now. She says her father will not allow her to stay overnight with a man because she is not married yet. She says coming here on a fiancee visa might also be a problem because if it does not work out, then she will return 'having lived with a man, not married'. Frowned upon. Is she saying this to pressure me into marriage or is it feasible that the culture is like this, strict fathers, religion etc, old fashioned values?

Very feasible. When we first moved here from UK nearly 15 years ago, 'nice' girls were chaperoned on the first few dates (a brother, friend of the family, another couple etc). This might be dying out a bit now, but in many ways the thinking behind it hasn't. My partner and I have occasionally acted as chaperones when we have introduced a young Dominican woman from a good family we know to a foreign friend of ours. I don't see anything odd about her father not allowing overnight stays.

And well done to you for having your eyes open and asking the right sort of questions.

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
the best advice i can offer is download the the application forms for spouse and visitor visa and make sure you bolth can meet all the criteria asked in the application form .

first i would get your girl freind to apply for a tourist visa for the uk then you can spend up to three months together and if it works for you bolth move on

good look

whisky lee (uk)

GH10ad

May 12, 2007
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Some more questions. I met her on an international dating website. If I tell the embassy the truth on the visa, will this go against us?

It is perfectly acceptable in my eyes to meet someone on a dating site. A few years ago, no, now is ok. If I met a british girl on a dating site, no problem so if I want to marry a foreign girl from a dating site that is up to me. Any thoughts?

If we don't say this, we will have to lie they will know and if you lie you don't get visas.

I know someone who has a Thai girlfriend and the UK has a real problem with LOTS of Thai women coming here marrying for money. In their culture they are the breadwinner, a daughter gets sent off to the city to work in bars and get western men to give them money for their family. It is difficult to get a visa for these women. I take it, because Britain has no particular problem with Dominican girls, it should be easier bringing a Dominican girl here than bringing a thai girl here - getting a visa I mean?

I have e-mail records from the beginning and now we use skype because it has a history and duration of calls. I think I can print this for record but I am not sure. I can prove when I visited her country, I can prove I bought her flowers at valentines day. I have text messages on a dominican celphone and more.

How long do we need to know each other for the visa people to accept the relationship as real?

If I got my family to all e-mail or sign letters giving their blessing would this help too?

My friend says for thai women, getting a letter of support from your local politician - member of parliament - is a big help. If they will do this for you and say they support your cause.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.