Monte Plata

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
I posted this over in the east coast thread but it may be better answered here in the central thread:

I'll be in the DR for 10 days in a couple of weeks and I want to drive to Samana from Punta Cana. It looks like I can head west out of Punta Cana thru Higuey and then to Monte Plata. My intent is to stay over night in Monte Plata and then head north to Samana and stay there for a couple of days before heading to Caberete.

Not sure if this is the right section but can anyone suggest a decent hotel in Monte Plata? And also, any comments on my planned journey? Thanks in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A good hotel in Monte Plata?? What is with that place anyway? There are no good hotels there!! It is the sticks, the boonies fer goodness sakes!!

Get to Santo Domingo and spend the night....

HB

Feb 7, 2007
Hey

There ARE decent hotels in Monte Plata. There is a hotel right off Caribe Express on the main street, it is a decent hotel run by foreigners.

Thereare also new cabanas that opened recently at the entrance to MP from Santo Domingo direction.

Price range about 500 pesos per night, both.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I stand corrected! Go to Monte Plata, the Next Great Destination!! Ho Ho Ho!!!

I guess I had better explore that outpost of civilization before I rip it.....

HB

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Well, let me tell you that sometimes a look at the outskirts of civilization can be a thoroughly interesting experience. The results might differ but interesting- yes indeed. In my early days I saw this way spots that might be normally will be well shadowed to the regular visitor in every case. Among rat-infested places that dared to call themseves "hotel" with a crazy lady laughing all night long in the open space/room next to us to the flowing creek in the reach of my hand that was used as as a bathroom. Uh---the good old days...marvellous

Hey

There ARE decent hotels in Monte Plata. There is a hotel right off Caribe Express on the main street, it is a decent hotel run by foreigners.

Thereare also new cabanas that opened recently at the entrance to MP from Santo Domingo direction.

Price range about 500 pesos per night, both.

Your kidding me right???? This is the campo no matter how you put it. I have been there and theres not much to see unless of course you have family or friends to visit.

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
Not sure what map you are looking at. My Rough Guide waterproof, fold-out map has lead us well on several trips.

The road from Higuey to El Seibo to Hato Mayor is considered a main road and good. But Hato Mayor to Bayaguana is a much smaller - probably dirt, definitely not well marked - road. Bayaguana to MP is probably a better road. MP is a small town and probably has some accomodations. How is your Spanish to be able to ask around?

Then from MP towards Semana - north - the roads look very mountainous and small. Not a lot of services on these roads.

Makes more sense to drive from Punta Cana to Boca Chico or Santo Domingo for the night. Get up early the next morning, take Duarte Highway, and the Semana turnoffs and you will be there in less time.

Good Luck!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
See? Even ?nneeoakland agrees with me. If you have a great 4 x 4, you might, just might make it from Monte Plata to Sanchez. Yes, It Would be Exciting. And take at least a day or two.
I could do it, and probably have some fun, too.
You would be going through some interesting places but Cevicos would be your intermediary destination, then on to Cotu? and San Francisco de Macor?s.

BUT, why? Unless you are on an Adventure Tour, have good Spanish and knowledge of the land...

Punta Cana-La Romana-> Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo-> Saman?..simple and safe.

Alternative: Punta Cana-> Hig?ey->El Seibo->Hato Mayor->Sabana de la Mar and take the "ferry" across to Saman? and then local taxis and guaguas to wherever you want to go...

HB

Feb 7, 2007
Your kidding me right???? This is the campo no matter how you put it. I have been there and theres not much to see unless of course you have family or friends to visit.

No I am not kidding you. Why should I be kidding you?

The OP asked about hotels to SLEEP IN Monte Plata. He did not ask to see an amusement park in MP or go to a mall in MP or see the historic landmarks in MP. He asked about OVERNIGHTING there on his way to the North. He asked and he GOT his answer about STAYING THERE AT NIGHT

Nobody is disputing it is a campo, so what is your deal about my post?

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
Thanks everyone for the info. I was looking at the map and it only made sense to me to cut across the middle of the island rather than go south to go north. But after reading all of the commentary regarding me going this way I may change my plans.

My only concern is that I hear that its about an 8 hour drive from Santo Domingo to Samana, is this true? How far along is the new highway that is being built from SD to Samana? I've read that the new highway will go thru or by Monte Plata so that little town may not stay little for long.

I hope to enjoy my vacation in the DR regardless as to which route I take to my destinations.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a four-hour drive from SD to Samana. From Punta Cana, if you factor in traffic in the capital, the trip takes about eight hours.

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
How far along is the new highway that is being built from SD to Samana? I've read that the new highway will go thru or by Monte Plata so that little town may not stay little for long.

I hope to enjoy my vacation in the DR regardless as to which route I take to my destinations.

The new highway is being built from each start point (near SD airport and Samana) with the plan to meet in the middle. I was on the southern part of the new highway last month - its coming along, but it has not yet reached the city of Monte Plata. I think the road is about 20-30 miles into the Province of MP. Its primarily flat and wide on that part.

I'm sure you will have a good adventure and lots of sun! :bunny: :bunny: