Gay Committment Ceremony

The Byron

Jul 17, 2006
My boyfriend and I are headed to Las Terrenas next weekend. We would like to exchange some vows and express our love in a very, very small ceremony on the beach. Do you know where we could find an offciant who could perform this ceremony in Spanish and English?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My boyfriend and I are headed to Las Terrenas next weekend. We would like to exchange some vows and express our love in a very, very small ceremony on the beach. Do you know where we could find an offciant who could perform this ceremony in Spanish and English?

Since I know absolutely nada about the laws/ customs regarding such a ceremony you are seeking information on I would like to know the following:
1) When you ask to find an "officiant" to perform.. In what way (in the DR) does he officiate?
In the DR does he hold some legal power to "legalize" this union?
2) what made you decide to have this ceremony in the DR?
3) what country are you living in now or coming from?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'll be surprised if you find a legitimate Dominican "officiant" who is willing to preside over the "marriage" of two men

But then, for enough money, you can get almost anything here.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
still interested

I'll be surprised if you find a legitimate Dominican "officiant" who is willing to preside over the "marriage" of two men

But then, for enough money, you can get almost anything here.

Ken-even for "enough money" what do you get for your money ie; is the "marriage" 'legal' in some fashion in the DR?
Moderator-maybe should be turned over to Legal Dept. I am interested solely in knowing what this "ceremony" gives the 2 parties.
john

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Like Johne says, "por la plata baila el mono". Be forewarned that gay "unions" are not contemplated in Dominican law. However, there are no sodomy laws on the books, and the age of consent is 18 years. Regarding possible consequences of your "gay public ceremony" you should keep in mind that public display of affection between two males is frowned upon in the DR, and may provoke a public disturbance, and maybe even arrest on moral charges, depending on the local authorities. I suggest holding the "gay ceremony" in another country, why not Jamaica?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well...if this OP is not looking for a church or "official" service....i cant see what the big fuss would be.

For real..the only homophobia i have encountered on my travels in DR has been from other tourists (usualy fat guys going there to give there pesos to the prostitutes), or expats.

But then again..i am not holding a commitment ceremony on the beach either;-)

I am not sure about las terrenas...but in juan dolio or boca chica or playa caribe, or even guyacannes i dont think anyone would bat an eyelash...as long as you kept it small and descrete.

I know quite a few folks in DR that who live a very open life with no real fear or threat (and i know many many more who are indeed active but who are very discrete).

I dont think i would be easy to find a real "offiical" to preside over such a ceremony...but since it wont be legaly recognize...who NEEDS an official!

If you have the script for your ceremony all together...i know a couple of folks that might be able to arrange something for you.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My take on this is a simple commitment ceremony.
Like a vow renewal ceremony only for the first time.
Since ther would be no "justice of the peace" or "priest" it should be pretty simple to put together a ceremony and reception for them.
Just my opinion.
mkohn

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
The DR does not recognize same-sex marriages.

The OP was not asking for a marriage...just a simple commitment ceremony. An exchange of personal vows between two people. I personaly think that the OP and his partner should just invite a close family member or friend to preside over the ceremony.

If the OP wants to PM me i know some folks that might be able to help arrange something small and simple yet special.

best of luck and Salud!

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007

Look ill do it for you for $1000us. ill dress up like the pope and recite what ever you want!
Come on guy, it's not so acceptable to hold a ceremony to express your love here! You can get around it though!!!
why dont you bring someone to speak in spanish and english , rent a beautiful home and have your ceremony in total anonymity / privacy. I do think as another responder said you can get anyone to do anything if the dollars are right...if you had the time to search and obtain a DR national, i am sure you could find someone to read a few lines for a few hundred dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you have a nice day

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Two women had a ceremony in Hotel Riu Palace, Punta Cana at the end of January 2007. El Nacional says 'Para la boda "simb?licamente" fue preparado un abogado Notario P?blico que certific? la uni?n matrimonial y varios testigos, entre ellos un abogado dominicano, que firmaron un documento. Algunos empleados del hotel dijeron que eso no les sorprend?a porque en ocasiones se celebran hasta 10 bodas de esa naturaleza en una semana'. It was carried out by a Notary Public & witnesses, including a Dominican lawyer, who signed the document. Hotel staff didn't turn a hair because sometimes they have up to 10 ceremonies of this type per week' (it says).
El Nacional, la voz de todos
The only people who raised eyebrows were some of the delegates from the Municipal Assembies shindig going on at the same time...........
A week later El Nacional had a piece on people's reactions.
El Nacional, la voz de todos

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Lambada, you forgot to add that lesbianism per se is traditionally acceptable in DR society. So two elderly ladies taking matrimony-like vows in a mock ceremony by the side of the sea would not raise any eyebrows. However, if the couple was male the situation would be frowned upon. Imagine two swishy faggots dressed in rainbow-colored speedos or thongs, holding hands and smooching all over themselves, in front of an "official" and "renewing their vows". Personally, I would find the whole thing more than amusing, and I'm definitely not Queen Victoria...;-)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Mirador, you forgot that this is the Legal Forum not Mars & Venus. I posted the info to show the OP that such ceremonies have been known to take place and that a Notary Public could be obtained to do the ceremony. I would agree that lesbianism is less likely to be frowned upon than homosexuality although 'traditionally acceptable' might be a bit of a stretch. In any event such a discussion is probably beyond the scope of this forum as indeed might be descriptions of 'swishy faggots'. You cannot assume that about the OP. They could be 2 butch bodybuilders.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
thanks lambada. Geesh...while there certainly many swishy types out there (some straight one too)...that comment was really offensive. Take a look at my mug shot...just a regular guy who happens to hit if off with other guys.

and again...i really dont find too much homophobia in DR. In the capital there are quite a few clubs (a new one on the malecon). There are gay owned hotels in the capital as well as BC and Sosua. I have hung out in the campos with my friends (well..people dont really know our business)..i stick out more there cuz i am gringo...not cuz i am gay.

Well...as usual an OP has asked an interesting question...but then has abandoned the thread.

i cant see a small ceremony creating much of stir....as long as it is at someplace quiet (not boca chica on a sunday lol) and it is done with class and dignity.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
....such ceremonies have been known to take place and that a Notary Public could be obtained to do the ceremony.

Lambada, a Notary Public cannot "do" a ceremony of any kind. Their function is to certify and register the signatures on documents to the extent that they correspond to the persons signing them. You are probably confusing a Notary Public with an Oficial del Estado Civil. The Dominican law is very clear, no Notary Public can "certify" a "matrimonial union" between two (or more, why not?) parties of the same sex.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada, a Notary Public cannot "do" a ceremony of any kind. Their function is to certify and register the signatures on documents to the extent that they correspond to the persons signing them. You are probably confusing a Notary Public with an Oficial del Estado Civil. The Dominican law is very clear, no Notary Public can "certify" a "matrimonial union" between two (or more, why not?) parties of the same sex.

I actually don't think I'm confusing anything. You are arguing against a point which I never made. Of course same sex marriage is not permitted in the DR, everyone knows that. It was referred to throughout as a 'symbolic' wedding. The notary public might have certified the ladies signatures & those of their witnesses. I didn't say it had any legal validity, that may not have been what the ladies or indeed the OP is after. It strikes me as entirely possible to employ the services of a notary public to certify signatures on a committment document which the parties themselves have produced. He would be, as you say, merely certifying signatures NOT performing a marriage.

As to the two elderly ladies, I'm sure you saw the pictures. Mountainfrog probably still has access to the pics since he posted them on a website. The ladies looked chubby and radiantly happy but elderly??? I believe one was 44 and the other 49. :)

And to The Byron, if you're the same person, congratulations about Stephanie!