Is DR becoming Multicultural?

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Someone in another forum told me that DR is more accepting of immigrants? Is it true that there immigrants from Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, El Salvador, etc? If so, are they concentrating only in Santo Domingo? I ask because I was reading the newspaper this morning and just realized that we will have a Chinatown, so I was wondering if immigration from other countries is increasing.

Thanks in advance.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Someone in another forum told me that DR is more accepting of immigrants? Is it true that there immigrants from Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, El Salvador, etc? If so, are they concentrating only in Santo Domingo? I ask because I was reading the newspaper this morning and just realized that we will have a Chinatown, so I was wondering if immigration from other countries is increasing.

Thanks in advance.

Before NALs chimes in with his usual thesis about SD and Santiago, let me add that I have met folks in Higuey from all four of the countries listed above, and they weren't tourists, but actually residents of Higuey. Also met Koreans, Chinese, Cubans, PRicans, Germans, Espa?oles...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Historically immigrants have been coming to the DR. Early 20th century saw many Arabs specially Lebanese made the DR their home. My aunt's husband's parents were of Lebanese decent. In Sosua many Jews settled there during WW2. A Jewish Museum is located there.

Last edited: