Sand Theft

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Sand theft at many of the bocas in the country is nothing new and rarely controlled. Today two helicopters from the Fuerza Aerea buzzed down repeatedly on thieves around Gaspar Hernandez and scared the shyte out of several groups of men illegally loading sand from las bocas. It is said the thieves loaded up immediately and hauled a** outta there. Hope they stay away for a while. At least a start. Congrats to the local air force and the initiative, for whatever reason it was actually done.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Sand theft at many of the bocas in the country is nothing new and rarely controlled. Today two helicopters from the Fuerza Aerea buzzed down repeatedly on thieves around Gaspar Hernandez and scared the shyte out of several groups of men illegally loading sand from las bocas. It is said the thieves loaded up immediately and hauled a** outta there. Hope they stay away for a while. At least a start. Congrats to the local air force and the initiative, for whatever reason it was actually done.

The sand acquired at the mouths (bocas) of rivers has a high saline content, and is not recommended for use in concrete structures because of its corrosiveness to steal elements, like t-bars, etc. However, unscrupulous builders will use any cheap sand available. I've heard of building collapsing during earthquakes because of the concrete mix used did not meet the legal standards...

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
So far as the article you link goes, 'the DR' has not offered such a thing.

I bet it's sand for building, or perhaps some other non-beach replenishment stuff, as it has been a wide spread activity for sometime now.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
To regulate Commerce ...among the several States

full quote:

Community leaders say they have received offers of sand from the Dominican Republic, the Turks and Caicos Islands and Mexico, the Christian Science Monitor reported Wednesday. For example, a fish farm in the Dominican Republic is offering to sell Miami Beach the sand dredged outs while digging new fish ponds.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
full quote:

Community leaders say they have received offers of sand from the Dominican Republic, the Turks and Caicos Islands and Mexico, the Christian Science Monitor reported Wednesday. For example, a fish farm in the Dominican Republic is offering to sell Miami Beach the sand dredged outs while digging new fish ponds.

Why not DR sand, if the entire DR SouthWest dry forests are being cut and turned into charcoal, bootlegged to Haiti, where it is used for 80% of it's household cooking fuel needs, and the rest exported to Aruba, Curacao, other Caribbean islands.

C

Chip00

I personally doubt the sand be stolen is for the beaches in Miami. The amount they will require would mean that a few locals filling up a pickup three times a day would have to work for three years or so probably for it to be economically viable.

More than likely Mirador is right on this one as is generally the case except for the occasional anomaly due to unforseen ramifications of a certain process he endured at la ventiocho! :)

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Palm Beach , Fla is now missing $ 2 mil worth of sand. Where did it go, that might be considered American sand and needs to be re-patriated immediately

If I was using a $2 billion war chest, to finance my campaign in Fl. I would look to sand brokers, to help restore the glory of Palm beach.

Mike

International Sand Broker

Underwater developments, such has hydrogeothermal....in the Pacific, is atopic we should explore.

Under water pipelines could exchange valuable oil, in exchange for sand..as an example

The Tar sands in Calgary might want to finance this project,

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Small Amounts?

Filling up 5-ton dump trucks by the shovel-full with 3-4 Haitian workers, all day, multiplied by 4 or 5 trucks a day at each boca on the north coast translates into some major sand removal in my estimation. Nevertheless, it's obvious and just another example of the country being raped of it's natural resources. So when a small step in the right direction is made, such as was done today, I just wanted to mention it.
I guess it's just the optimist in me, but I love small victories against injustice, not the headlines screaming 'the war is won', and today was one of those little shots of adrenalin that caused my molecular structure to feel something swell (words of Mose Allison, singer/songwriter/pianist and a hero for downtrodden schmucks).

C

Chip00

Really?

Filling up 5-ton dump trucks by the shovel-full with 3-4 Haitian workers, all day, multiplied by 4 or 5 trucks a day at each boca on the north coast translates into some major sand removal in my estimation.

Let's do a quick conservative calculation, as this is my job I do this all day long:

A. Miami beach sand need (3 miles long x 150 yards wide actual need will be a lot more):

15,840 feet long x 3 feet deep x 450 feet wide = 21,384,000 cf =792,000 cy.

B. Haitians filling 5 trucks 9 cy yard(standard) capacity daily:

Total for one day: 5 trucks x 9 cy = 45 yards/day

C. Time to meet demand: 792,000/45 = 17,600 days = 48 years

Like I said before, I doubt what these guys can get from these sand banks will be economically worth it. One must realize that this amount of sound being removed from the move of rivers will not be conspicuous.

C

Chip00

So do I. Can no-one recognize caustic humor? I guess I have to hit you over the head with it .. and maybe someone will laugh.

Apparently somebody took you seriously - and why should I not doubt it? - there is a lot more inane stuff flying around out there that people are gobbling up as if it were manna from heaven.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Miami

Your assumption is about Miami beaches. In this case I don't think it applies, but I sure do appreciate your sliderule! And the job sounds real interesting.