1st trip to the DR, advice please

gregs317

May 18, 2007
Hi, I'm interested in planning my first trip to the DR, probably sometime between Dec and March 08. I will be leaving from Philadelphia, PA or New Jersey most likely.

What i'm looking for on the DR: a town that's relatively quiet, a little nightlife would be nice tho (merengue lesson, or bars). Not too far from a beach, and would like to experience some nature (sea turles, whale watching, etc.). Someplace that i can easily get to from an airport - i won't be driving. Accomodations - i don't need anything fancy, a clean single room is ok. Please recommend which town you think would be good for me.

I've only been to Puerto Rico before - to visit relatives. i know a little bit of spanish, but i'm not fluent. Thanks, Greg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should get a flood of recommendations.

1) Whales: Only in Saman? or vicinity.

all the rest depends on that.

you can get all you want there. the dancing, the lessons, the nature walks and the whale watching...

it is one of God's Beautiful Spots. (Best Time: Mid-January-Mid-Late February)

Enjoy.

HB

gregs317

May 18, 2007
Thanks for that. The name Samana refers to the general area on that coast right? It's not a town name, or is it. For example, Las Terrenas is a town in the Samana area right? Sorry, it's just a little confusing.

So if i want to stay in las terrenas, i can get a bus from Santo Domingo airport area? Will i need to spend the first night in Santo Domingo - how frequent is the bus service? Can i get from Las terrenas to the whale watching area, what about the departure point for Cayo Levantado, i believe it's called? thanks, Greg

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Alas, the whales have left the shores of the DR for now. They are there usually in February/March, so, it may fit your time scale.

Samana is the name of the Peninsula and also the name of the biggest town on the Peninsula. So, you have Samana (the town/city), Las Terenas and Las Galeras.

Someone else should tell you how to get from Santo Domingo to Las Terenas, as I've never done it from there.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i think what chris is trying to tell you...is that if you are interested in staying in the north...then fly into either santiago or POP. If you fly in to santo domingo you will have to take a 4 hour bus ride to the north. (a great ride..so i hear...but i have never done it).

I think if it your first trip you might do some research (you have time) and come up with a better airport arrival...that is assuming you want to be on the north part of the island.

gregs317

May 18, 2007
right, thats what i've been trying to determine - the best part of the island for me. My concern was that if i stay anywhere besides the north, will i still be able to make a day=trip for the whale watching? Maybe if i stay elsewhere, there would be a bus tour for a whale watch trip? I would just like to do it one time, and i'll be happy. But i dont have any problem basing my vacation out of the Samana area, if that's what is necessary.

PS, do you know a good sight to find low cost hotels, accoms in various DR towns? thanks, Greg

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
right, thats what i've been trying to determine - the best part of the island for me. My concern was that if i stay anywhere besides the north, will i still be able to make a day=trip for the whale watching? Maybe if i stay elsewhere, there would be a bus tour for a whale watch trip? I would just like to do it one time, and i'll be happy. But i dont have any problem basing my vacation out of the Samana area, if that's what is necessary.

PS, do you know a good sight to find low cost hotels, accoms in various DR towns? thanks, Greg

If you are interested in the Cabarete area on the North coast, there is a great site activecabarete.com
Good luck with your trip-planning.