Doubts from a future newcomer

victoriac

May 17, 2007
spaces.msn.com
I'm a Venezuelan economist especialized in cost control and I decided to move to RD next july. I've been applying for some posts via Internet but I'm aware that it is easier to do it once I had settled there.

I've also been reading all the requirements for a Resident visa and a Temporary residency and I have read that to obtain the latter getting the resident visa is not an enforced requirement in some cases.

Thus, I have doubts on: How should I know if I don't need to apply for a resident visa first? What advantages does the resident visa give me? When does it expire?

In addition, among the things they ask, a financial statement is needed... Do I have to bring it made by an accountant or are letters from my banks enough? (Do I have to translate these letters since these are issued by an UK bank?) Is there any landmarks as to financial reliability the officers use to decide whether accept an application or not? Should I get a job first before applying for any of these visas or could I apply for the resident visa just based on my financial status?

Besides, I have also been reviewing the immigration law still in use and there appears to be complications for accepting single women into the country. Is it a demod? regulation inherited from old times or could I actually face discrimination based on sex?

Thanks in advance,

V.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Victoria,

Pardon me for asking, but why for Heaven's sake! would you want to move to the Dominican Republic? You are a trained professional, young, and should have no problem finding jobs in your own country, where your training is very needed, and in demand. I'm also Venezuelan (with studies from Universidad Santa Mar?a, University of Sussex, and a degree in economics from Indiana University). Please PM me for a more detailed advise regarding your plans...

Mirador

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Basically, you go about the process after you have a nice job....
Don't sweat it.

Ah, thus we see the tip of the Venezuelan Exodus iceberg.....

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Basically, you go about the process after you have a nice job....
Don't sweat it.

Ah, thus we see the tip of the Venezuelan Exodus iceberg.....

HB
I'm confused.

I thought Venezuela was becoming a Workers Paradise. Why an exodus?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
To Victoria, who posted the original question, intelligently worded about Immigration Law & proceedure, which is no doubt why she put it in the Legal Forum............ bet you're wondering why you bothered, eh? :) Not too many of these posts are geared to answering your question, I see.

I would be too embarrassed to open my mouth about Venezuelan politics on this thread a) because it wasn't your question & b) chances are you know a lot more about it than anyone else.

Work on getting a job first & as a couple of people said at the outset, worry about the residency when you get here. Good luck to you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Work on getting a job first & as a couple of people said at the outset, worry about the residency when you get here. Good luck to you.

Victoria, the experienced posters on this site, as well as the long term residents and voices of reason, will all confirm Lambada's comment. A good attorney can assist you with residency. It is a matter of getting your paperwork together and in order and the rest is not difficult, perhaps only frustrating.

I would suggest that you contact the Lawyers that answer questions on this board, Guzm?n Ariza (The Dominican Republic Law Firm: Guzman Ariza, Attorneys at Law.) to handle at least your first set of temporary residency requirements. They would have an updated list of paperwork requirements. Here is a link that is on their site on what you would need. The Dominican Republic Law Firm: Guzman Ariza, Attorneys at Law.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'd agree with the wise men (and women) - worry about residency when you get here. i hera police check can now be obtained her but you will still need your birth certificate, copy of your passport, set of photos etc.
if you have no time and patience get a lawyer to do it for you - takes few months and two trips to SD (medical exam and then to pick up papers).

victoriac

May 17, 2007
spaces.msn.com
Thanks!!!

Thanks a lot for all the advise, I'm already gathering all the documentation I need in order to get the resident visa and I'll start contacting some lawyers from here, I think is riskless this way.

rotondo

Jun 18, 2007
mirador dont you reallyknow

Victoria,

Pardon me for asking, but why for Heaven's sake! would you want to move to the Dominican Republic? You are a trained professional, young, and should have no problem finding jobs in your own country, where your training is very needed, and in demand. I'm also Venezuelan (with studies from Universidad Santa Mar?a, University of Sussex, and a degree in economics from Indiana University). Please PM me for a more detailed advise regarding your plans...

Mirador

FOR THE SAME REASON VENEZUELANS ARE MOVING TO MIAMI AND N.Y.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
I did my husband paperwork, its took time did not need a lawyer, or agency. lived in Santiago did have to go for physical in Santo Domingo and interior Policiafor carta de Buena conducta. Time about six months, less than 15,000 pesos.

omossjr

Jun 23, 2007
Visiting??

Looking at various Caribbean island in which to relocate and retire.
Planning a visit to DR in August, any suggestions????

Iris3323

Apr 8, 2007
I am a Venezuelan wanting the resident visa too

My husband and I will be going to Republica Dominicana within 2 months and just read that some of you have done the paperwork by yourselves, saving quite a few dollars.
We know we can stay with the Tourist card for 60 days.
Do you know the precise address where applicants must go to submit the documents and forms?