School equivalence/help with highschooler

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Im again going to try and get my brother in law over here to finish his high school in US. The idea is to have him come here and at least learn english, play a year of hs baseball, and college hopefully or sign. He is 6+ ft tall, 18 and last time he threw he clocked at 86 (which was a while ago) the thing is I think realistically and not many make it to major leage and im trying to set it up so that he is educated if baseball falls through. My problem is finding out how to get him here. USCIS is no real help. I just got off the phone with them and they say to contact the HS. They have no idea how to get a HS senior here. The university is different. We basically support him (father passed away 8 yrs ago). The things I "think" i know from research are:

he needs medical records
HS transcripts
i need to pay for the cost of his education here
he'll need some kind of student visa
he needs to take an engish test

things i DON'T know
what medical coverage will he have
what is the name of the visa
what forms do i fill out

Im going to contact the HS now and see what they say. Last time i did this last year no one had any clue what i was talking about. this should be fun. i realize im running short on time.

Question: I know he is a bright boy, but I know either bc of the school he's at or him, he NEVER does homeowork, never studies for test, etc. they only go to school for 4 hrs/day so im really curious as to how much/how smart he really is??? So does anybody know, or could anybody tell me what the equivalence is of a high school education at a private school in the DR (i say private meaning he pays to go to school but its hundres of pesos a mo) to a high schooler here in US? For example, should i expect him as a junior over there to be doing school work that i did when i was in 8th grade!!??? I'm really clueless. What type of math do they do? algebra/trig/precalc/calc???

If anyone has any experience in doing this i would greatly appreciate any advice/help. Thank you!

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
also, has anyone ever heard of guardian ship of a teenager being passed on to a family member in DR? is 18 considered an adult in DR?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
it takes about 2 years for a fiance visa. i would figure what you are trying to do will take at least a year maybe 2, by then he'll be 20? you might be better off helping to pay for university and then try getting him over. sorry, but that's what i had to do for my in-laws.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
oops, i didnt' see your other post on the other board, if he has a visitors visa, then get him over here NOW! sort it all out from here............

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
oops, i didnt' see your other post on the other board, if he has a visitors visa, then get him over here NOW! sort it all out from here............

this is a question i have. his visitor visa expires in july. so if he comes over here before then, whats the difference between us filing the paperwork from here or DR? why can't he just come over here on the visitor visa and we enroll him in school? He'll be in country legally but won't have a social security number?? from talking to a french teacher at school she says its EXTREMELY hard because all the ROTERY kids come here and they only give out so many visas?

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
it takes about 2 years for a fiance visa. i would figure what you are trying to do will take at least a year maybe 2, by then he'll be 20? you might be better off helping to pay for university and then try getting him over. sorry, but that's what i had to do for my in-laws.

ps. he's not my fiance, my brother in law. haha fiance visa

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
yeah, i know he's not a fiance, just saying that for something as straight forward as a fiance visa you have to wait a long time................get him over here,,,,,,,,enroll in school................i don't think he can be turned down legally for school unless he's too old, as all children have a right to education , even if illegal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,apply to INS for visa extension,once here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,explain that he has had visa for 3 years but didn't use it because, (make up good excuse)...................apply to Internal revenue service for I-10, kinda like a soc. sec. #,,,,,,,,you can open a bank account with that, get a mortgage, etc.........i have seen immigrants tied up in the system for years, the good part is they are still in the US the whole time and that was the goal anyway..............