Help...Permanent Resident

CindyB

May 14, 2007
I am traveling next week to DR and reside in Canada. I am not Canadian, but am a permanet resident of Canada. My dilema is that I don't yet have a PR card and will have to apply for a temporary travel document at the Canadian consulate in Santo Domingo in order to return to Canada. Does anyone know how long it will take to process this document? Is it issued on a same day basis in the DR as it is in other countries? I'm afraid I won't be allowed back into Canada if I don't get that card. Please advise!!::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Aren't you American? Do you have an American birth certificate/passport?

How long have you lived in Canada?

CindyB

May 14, 2007
Yes I am American and have a US passport, but in order to return into Canada by flight I must have a Permanet Resident card or a special travel document issued from the Canadian consulate in the country I visit. This is apparently the case for all permanent residents of Canada now. I'm just not sure if the consulate in Santo Domingo will issue the travel document the same day I go there, or if I will have to wait.
I tried to call them today, but the person I need to speak with was not in the office.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Where did you get this info? You are American and you can come in and out of Canada anytime.

Anyone have a different thought?

Why don't you have a PR card yet? The only thing you can't do in Canada as an American is work legally.

Why don't you check with Canada first before you leave. Many countries need that PR card to re enter Canada but not an American with an American passport

CindyB

May 14, 2007
I did check with 3 different Canadian immigration offices and the airline I'm flying with. Canada now says that ALL permanent residents must have a PR card in order to travel back into Canada on a comercial carrier. It sucks for me now. I don't know what to do......

CindyB

May 14, 2007
No thanks Frog.
I am asking for serious responses from anyone who has been through this process.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I don't know how you can get a temporary PR card but you will definitely need it upon your return to Canada. I just got back and had to show mine.

Good Luck!

Feb 7, 2007
Worst comes worst, and no commercial carrier would want you to board you, with your US passport just take a flight to USA and cross via land....

You won't be stuck in the DR don't worry

But the carrier does not know you are PR in canada. When you board a flight to Canada, just show your passport. The Canadian immigration is a different thing, though, in order to let you into Canada in immigrant (PR) status you need to show you are immigrant (same as for the USA). But this is the same regardless of whether you enter by air or by land.....

CindyB

May 14, 2007
I'm back

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I had no trouble going to the DR and only had to spend 5 minutes in immigration on the way back. But will have to get the PR card or I may not be so lucky next time.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Glad you made out ok.

For future knowledge you had to spend 5 mins in immigration in what country? Once you landed in Canada or when you were leaving the DR?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My mother-in-law left Canada without her permanent resident card and her Dominican Passport - no problemo on the way down, but on the way back AA Dominican Republic says " no way, you cant fly to Canada, even though she has all her Canadian ID, Round trip ticket with the proof that she came from Canada. OK we say, she's going to visit friends in Miami, she has a ten years American Visa, No problemo, we arrive in Miami no problems, we go to AA explain the problem show her OHIP Card, SIN Card...etc, off we go to Canada. Arrive in Toronto- Canada Customs-no problem, but now she has her PR Card.