Jatropha Curcas

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
I own some land in Sna Victor , Moca and in Ranchito Piche, Santiago. A few of my college friend and I are looking in to biulding a biodiesel refinary i nthe cibao region. Now we have the land and money to plant it but in order for a porject like this to work it must be in a large scale since the land we own cna only generate seeds 2-3 times per year. We need to get some awareness to the local farmes that projects like this would genera thme a profit. Their are some nonforprofit out their that are looking in to this type of project to combat poverty. Our plant of Choice is Jatropha Curcas(pinon de leche) this plant is having a lot of support world wide in countries like India. Would any one like to ched some light in to this type of project. We are no looking to becomoe millioners out this just get farmes to work the lands.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Ah before I forget .Sorry for any typos. I am a renoun bad speller. So I hope no one gets ofended. Please perdonemen

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Jatropha Curcas is an excellent biofuel crop which has many other advantages over existing crops.

Jatropha - Grown as a biofuel / biodiesel crop

The biofuel yield of various crops has been measured, and is usually given in barrels of oil per square mile per year. Corn is a common biofuel crop in the USA, but it yields under 200 barrels (per square mile per year). Rice for example yields almost 1000 barrels, however it is an essential worldwide food crop as are most of the other potential biofuel crops.
It is simply not viable to use good quality arable farmland for growing biofuels, biofuel crops need to be grown on marginal land if we are to benefit from them. This is where Jatropha scores highly. Not only does it have a great yield of well over 2,000 barrels of oil per square mile per year, it also increases the fertility of the land on which it is grown so that it can potentially be used for food crops in subsequent years.

Jatropha is perennial which can grow in arid conditions (even deserts), on any kind of ground, and does not require irrigation or suffer in droughts. Therefore unlike the common biofuel crops of today (corn and sugar), they are very easy to cultivate even on poor land in Africa providing great social and economic benefits for that region.

Jatropha is fast growing and it begins yielding oil in the second year and for the next forty to fifty years. Optimal yields are obtained from the sixth year, and spaced at 2 metre intervals, around 2500 plants can be cultivated per hectare. Jatropha absorbs large amounts of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and therefore earns carbon credits.

Find out more about Jatropha and its use as a biofuel here with our guide to the facts and figures about Jatropha.
this is formation was provided from REUK website.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
We are looking into begin our plantation process of the first 150 tareas in the area of San Victor ,Moca later in June. This week were are preparing a green house to germinate seed to create a nursery for the jatropha plant.
This land is not currently being used for agriculture. It was used before for coffee plantation due to it mountainous nature. The farm is located near the Cafeto part of Moca.
We expect to plant 2500 plant in the fist stage and do so until hitting this year goal of 25,000 p[plant of jatropha.

We hope this thread can help me get a feel of what intelligent and environmentally friendly people need to say about this project.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is certainly an interesting plant. It used to be known as a weed and as kids we knew not to mess with the seeds. Here are some pictures of what it looks like.

Biodiesel SA

Also, I believe that it does not act agressively as an 'invasive species', but kinda stays around where it is planted. It apparently does well on marginal soil and if the soil is well managed, the soil quality improves after planting.

Uhm... may the DR government be kind to you and I hope this is a success.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Jatropha

The importation of foreign species into a new eco-environment is always fraught with dangers. Remember what the introduction of the species Neem, also imported from India, did to the DR climate?, increasing aridity in many areas where it was used intensively in reforestation projects after the devastatation caused by hurricane David and Tropical storm Frederick in 1979.

A quick googling on the above ref species produced warnings like the following...

"...Due to several different toxic principles including a lectin (curcin), phorbol esters, saponins, protease inhibitors and phytates, neither the seeds nor the press cake nor the oil of Jatropha curcas can be used for human or animal nutrition; even if the plant is not intended for human consumption, its toxicity might represent a problem, especially if grown in areas close to food crops plantations... (24).

(24) Trabi, G.M. G?bitz, W. Steiner, N. Foidl: Toxicity of Jatropha curcas seeds. Developed from the Symposium "Jatropha 97" Managua, Nicaragua February 23 ? 27, 1997."

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
The importation of foreign species into a new eco-environment is always fraught with dangers. Remember what the introduction of the species Neem, also imported from India, did to the DR climate?, increasing aridity in many areas where it was used intensively in reforestation projects after the devastatation caused by hurricane David and Tropical storm Frederick in 1979.

A quick googling on the above ref species produced warnings like the following...

"...Due to several different toxic principles including a lectin (curcin), phorbol esters, saponins, protease inhibitors and phytates, neither the seeds nor the press cake nor the oil of Jatropha curcas can be used for human or animal nutrition; even if the plant is not intended for human consumption, its toxicity might represent a problem, especially if grown in areas close to food crops plantations... (24).

(24) Trabi, G.M. G?bitz, W. Steiner, N. Foidl: Toxicity of Jatropha curcas seeds. Developed from the Symposium "Jatropha 97" Managua, Nicaragua February 23 ? 27, 1997."

"This is so true. Is never s good practice but after further research we found that plant is as much a native to this land as the Platano.
Furthermore we are dedicating this plantation to the production of bio-fuel

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
I will try to put some links later this week so you guys cna see the land and where we are looking to make this project.
Mil gracias a esos que estan leyendo esta informal explicacion de nuestro projecto.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
.... but after further research we found that plant is as much a native to this land as the Platano,

Plantain is not native to this island. When Christopher Columbus "discovered" Hispaniola (known as Haiti or Quisqueya by the aboriginal Taino population), the plant was unknown. Plantain (and all its related varieties) originated in Asia, India and Malasia to be exact, then it entered Africa through Zanzibar and Madagascar. It would have been a blessing if Dominicans were never brought into contact with Platano. Didn't you know that plantain (musaceas) contains a substance, known as "brute?na" that has the capacity of lowering the intelligence quotient (IQ) of people who ingest it?

Do you know that if errant goats, cows, or other farm animals feed on your Jatropha plants and die, you could be liable? Do you need insurance?

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
I know this about the Platano I was trying to make a point in regards to effect on the land. Now in regards to animals eating the plant . well its original purpose was a natural fence since animal don't like to be near the plant. Its a private property and will be well label as such. Any liability in regards to animal death will be something that my attorney will take care in the case of such incident.
As per my research this is tropical pant it is not native of India.

I had this conversation with a rep from Sanidad Vegetal in regards to the toxicity level of the plant and we have a site visit later on in June so she can inspect the farm to see if this represent any harm to local farmers.

Where can i get a full copy of the report you sited so i can speak with them and see what truly happen in their case study?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I know this about the Platano I was trying to make a point in regards to effect on the land. Now in regards to animals eating the plant . well its original purpose was a natural fence since animal don't like to be near the plant. Its a private property and will be well label as such. Any liability in regards to animal death will be something that my attorney will take care in the case of such incident.
As per my research this is tropical pant it is not native of India.

I had this conversation with a rep from Sanidad Vegetal in regards to the toxicity level of the plant and we have a site visit later on in June so she can inspect the farm to see if this represent any harm to local farmers.

Where can i get a full copy of the report you sited so i can speak with them and see what truly happen in their case study?

Chola, the purpose of my comments (of course, some said mostly in jest...;-) was to make you realize that there are many concerns and implications, besides the obvious economic ones, in every projects. I assumed you were considering introducing a new species in the environment. Actually, I know very little of botany, farming and related fields. Google is a tremendous source for information. I wish you good luck and success in your project.

Dag

Jun 4, 2007
Beyond the more altruistic benefits of promoting biodiesel production, there's the fairly recent passage of law 57-07 in the DR which provides substantial tax breaks to encourage projects such as this. I've been researching the idea of a similar project though things are very much still in the concept stage. Reducing the consumption of imported fuels while promoting viable cash crops and reforestation are all noteworthy endeavors and if one can turn a profit doing so, all the better.

Have you researched the altitude issue at all? Jatropha grows all over the place but it seems from a study done in India that elevation affects oil concentration in the nuts. If your goal is simply utilizing fallow land this is not as much of a concern but from a commercial viewpoint one would wish to maximize productivity. The land for planting most easily available to me is at an altitude similar to your Piche site but it would appear this may be higher than ideal. Any thoughts?

regards,

Dag

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Beyond the more altruistic benefits of promoting biodiesel production, there's the fairly recent passage of law 57-07 in the DR which provides substantial tax breaks to encourage projects such as this. I've been researching the idea of a similar project though things are very much still in the concept stage. Reducing the consumption of imported fuels while promoting viable cash crops and reforestation are all noteworthy endeavors and if one can turn a profit doing so, all the better.

Have you researched the altitude issue at all? Jatropha grows all over the place but it seems from a study done in India that elevation affects oil concentration in the nuts. If your goal is simply utilizing fallow land this is not as much of a concern but from a commercial viewpoint one would wish to maximize productivity. The land for planting most easily available to me is at an altitude similar to your Piche site but it would appear this may be higher than ideal. Any thoughts?

regards,

Dag
Wao I appreciate that information in regards to altitude. The San Victor and Piche locations are around 400 metros above sea level they are not all the way up in the mountain but ill ask the agronomist this questions and ill post their response. please PM so we can share ideas that can help you move alone with your project.

1Tech

Apr 6, 2008
Seeking Bio Diesel & Jatropha potentials

Good day
I am an engineer working on development of a Bio Diesel plant on the eastern shore VA USA.
I am currently in the DR on Business/pleasure trip and seeking information on potential land to grow Jatropha.
Also any other insights relating to Bio Diesel production.

Our project has good intent and a viable location to produce and ship Bio Diesel and would like to share any useful information on the DR & Haiti as potential croppers for Jatropha and more.

Kind Regards
Alan Andrews

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Contact GTZ

The German NGO GTZ has a Jatropha project running on the Haitian border by Jimani. I had a long interview with them and they are not optimistic about this plant. They say that globally this fuel is not yet productive - mostly really because the stoves are not fuel efficient. It takes more energy to extract the fuel from the plant than it produces. Also it is grown in desert soil, in soil that really is no good for anything else. If your land is good for anything else--- like coffee, as you stated it was once used for, it would would certainly be more useful for that. You might make an appointment with GTZ altough I warn you, they are German, a bit abrupt, not very enthused about the entire product..... In Haiti, it may prove to be a life saver since they are looking to replace charcoal .... and the stoves may be improved soon....