Don't want to start a fight...but

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
I am confused about the basic differences between the main political parties. I don?t want to start a riot, but would like to hear some points of view about each. Is that possible?

(By the way, I did look through the article titles and ran a search, but did not see it specifically addressed. If I missed it, please let me know.)

C

Chip00

PRD - Partido Relajo Dominicano - Leonel's Party

PLD - Partido de Ladrones Dominicano - Pe?as and Hipolitos party

Reformista - Balaguer's party - in cahoots with the PLD

Party goals - take as much money as one can get in four years - hey kids need education at Yale, and the house at Punta Cana is too small not to mention the 2006 Land Rover Special edition is getting old and one deserves to retire after four years of "hard" work!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Somebody had this explained this before better than I can do, but here is the gist of things: Dominican politics is nothing alike American, Canadian or European politics. Terms like 'liberal', 'libertarian', 'left', 'right' have not equivalent here.

Basically you had Balaguer, somebody that could have been loosely described as rightist but was not afraid to say no to the US and opened up to Cuba.

You had somebody like Hip?lito, who hails from a party who could be loosely described as center-left who was afraid to say no to the US.

And somebody like Leonel, heir of the farthest-left party in the country (with any chance of winning) who was raised in the US, and is very pro-US, but is much closer to the Europeans than any other president.

I am not a political analyst, I don't play one on TV and I stayed in a Holiday Inn once in 1999, for what it's worth.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I am confused about the basic differences between the main political parties. I don?t want to start a riot, but would like to hear some points of view about each. Is that possible?

(By the way, I did look through the article titles and ran a search, but did not see it specifically addressed. If I missed it, please let me know.)

PRD

PLD

PRSC

Let's start with the obvious similarities, with the letter "P", which stands for Predators, Predaceous, Plunderers, Prevaricators, Prostitutors?

Shall I go on? ....

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Somebody had this explained this before better than I can do, but here is the gist of things: Dominican politics is nothing alike American, Canadian or European politics. Terms like 'liberal', 'libertarian', 'left', 'right' have not equivalent here.

Basically you had Balaguer, somebody that could have been loosely described as rightist but was not afraid to say no to the US and opened up to Cuba.

You had somebody like Hip?lito, who hails from a party who could be loosely described as center-left who was afraid to say no to the US.

And somebody like Leonel, heir of the farthest-left party in the country (with any chance of winning) who was raised in the US, and is very pro-US, but is much closer to the Europeans than any other president.

I am not a political analyst, I don't play one on TV and I stayed in a Holiday Inn once in 1999, for what it's worth.
Ahem, to go back to the topic.

Balaguer = PRSC = Partido Reformista Social Cristiano
Hip?lito = PRD = Partido Revolucionario Dominicano
Leonel = PLD = Partido de la Liberaci?n Dominicana

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Ahem, to go back to the topic.

Balaguer = PRSC = Partido Reformista Social Cristiano
Hip?lito = PRD = Partido Revolucionario Dominicano
Leonel = PLD = Partido de la Liberaci?n Dominicana

Pib, didn't you know that Balaguer passed away a few years ago?, and Hip?lito Mej?a is now living on his farm in Gurabo, province of Santiago, growing yucca, practically away from any political activism?

Actual party leaders are:

Amable Aristy Casto = PRSC = Partido Reformista Social Cristiano
Miguel Vargas Maldonado = PRD = Partido Revolucionario Dominicano
Leonel Antonio Fern?ndez Reyna = PLD = Partido de la Liberaci?n Dominicana

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Miguel Vargas Maldonado = PRD = Partido Revolucionario Dominicano
But we know nothing about what they would do if in power. So we have to base our judgment on what their parties have done in the past.

Well, we do know what they'll do, but we don't know how they would go about it.

C

Chip00

Is that the guys real first name?

If so it would make sense, sort of....from what I remember the time I went to the capital a few months ago and there was bus after bus after bus with his face on them on the highway from Santiago going to his convention and the people were really having a good time - do you think they were happy to go see "Amable" or maybe it was the RD250 they were paid, a day off from work, free food, free music, free tshirt(and probably free booze) hmm.....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
But we know nothing about what they would do if in power. So we have to base our judgment on what their parties have done in the past.

Well, we do know what they'll do, but we don't know how they would go about it.

Pib, you are very cute, so naivete doesn't become you ...;-). I'm sure you have noticed that our politicians lack imagination and creativity. They know they don't have to change their ways, if it worked before it will also probably work in the future. Unless, of course, the rules are changed by outside pressure or imposition, say like the DR-Cafta treaty....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Is that the guys real first name?

If so it would make sense, sort of....from what I remember the time I went to the capital a few months ago and there was bus after bus after bus with his face on them on the highway from Santiago going to his convention and the people were really having a good time - do you think they were happy to go see "Amable" or maybe it was the RD250 they were paid, a day off from work, free food, free music, free tshirt(and probably free booze) hmm.....

Let me correct the spelling, his name should read Amable Aristy Castro.

He's considered the richest politician, of course, after President Leonel.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
He's considered the richest politician, of course, after President Leonel.

At a meeting of the super-rich:

One of my cousins from Higuey was hanging out with Amable in his yacht in one of the small islands off the coast, and when Jacobo pulled up in his own yacht, Amable was told about it, and then replied, "Jacobo is not even worth 300 million dollars, so I ain't wasting my time with him."

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Here's and interesting tidbits on the current political infighting...

President Leonel is pressuring the Electoral Authorities (JCE) to allow PLD member to vote in the PRSC presidential candidacy primaries, with the intention of skewing the primary results toward a win by Eduardo Estrella. The PLD is afraid that a PRSC presidencial candidacy by popular Amable Aristy Castro will force a second round of voting. Political chatter among reputed analyst suggests that Amable Aristy Castro will ally with PRD's Miguel Vargas Maldonado for the second round voting, to prevent a win by current reelectionist president, Leonel Fern?ndez.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Pib, you are very cute, so naivete doesn't become you ...;-). I'm sure you have noticed that our politicians lack imagination and creativity. They know they don't have to change their ways, if it worked before it will also probably work in the future. Unless, of course, the rules are changed by outside pressure or imposition, say like the DR-Cafta treaty....
Hence the second paragraph. Maybe it was a bit too obscure, I thought it was obvious.

However, since I don't claim to possess psychic abilities I don't know what style those two gentlemen would have in power, if they ever get to 'terciarse la ?o?a'. You have to admit that even neither of these politicians I listed can be considered saints (understatement of the week), they all had different styles of governing. Don't you think?

I think you are looking for a disagreement that is nowhere to be found.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hence the second paragraph. Maybe it was a bit too obscure, I thought it was obvious.

However, since I don't claim to possess psychic abilities I don't know what style those two gentlemen would have in power, if they ever get to 'terciarse la ?o?a'. You have to admit that even neither of these politicians I listed can be considered saints (understatement of the week), they all had different styles of governing. Don't you think?

I think you are looking for a disagreement that is nowhere to be found.

No disagreement, more like an attempt at humour, gone bad ...;-). Actually, I believe our politicians are extremely clever and creative. I'm always astounded at their imaginative ways to fleece the population, and get away with murder.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Personally, my preferences are 1. PLD and 2. PRSC and its only based on how the economy has functioned under the governance of those two parties, better under PLD than PRSC, but still acceptable under PRSC.

Regardless of all the gossip and speculations, etc, the PLD will no doubt win the next elections. In fact, the moderator(s) can make this thread into a sticky until the elections next year and I'll come back to add the words "I told you".

The PRD... well let's just say 'no lo quiero ver ni en pintura'. They are only good at bringing the country down to its knees while simultaneously strangle it to near death. They have not managed to kill the country during the two times they were allowed to govern because the people vote them out of power. Then the country pays the price for letting those lowlifes "rule" for four years by being subjected to the forsaken IMF and all that implies. Namely tax hikes, budget cuts in health, education, you name it; elimination of subsidies left and right, etc. It happened in the 1980s when the PRD ruled for the first time, it happened in the beginning of this decade when the PRD ruled for a second time, if history is worth anthing one can assume that it will happen the next time the PRD takes power.

-NALs

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
. It happened in the 1980s when the PRD ruled for the first time, it happened in the beginning of this decade when the PRD ruled for a second time, if history is worth anthing one can assume that it will happen the next time the PRD takes power.

-NALs

Which party won in '62 and '78?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...Regardless of all the gossip and speculations, etc, the PLD will no doubt win the next elections. In fact, the moderator(s) can make this thread into a sticky until the elections next year and I'll come back to add the words "I told you".

I very much doubt you will be let out of that Connecticut farm, even as an outpatient, to come back to your country and tell us "I told you"...;-)

Your twisted historical speculations are absurd to the average Dominican voter. The consensus on the street is "estabamos mejor con el loco", and a recently unpublished poll by the government party shows that Leonel's popularity is currently standing in the low 30s.

If you are so damned sure LFR will win the next elections, then I propose you go find a front man in SD to place a bet with me. I'm willing to wager US$100.000 on Miguel Vargas Maldonado. Are you willing to play?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Which party won in '62 and '78?
Well yes, technically the PRD won in '62, but they were out of power a year later due to coup! What type of rule is that!

The '78-'86 reign of the PRD was problems on top of problems which included some extras such as a presidential suicide and a virtual economic collapse. At a point inflation actually surpased 100%.

We all know what happened during the 2000-'04 period, problems problems problems!

The PRD has never been any good.

-NALs

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
If you are so damned sure LFR will win the next elections, then I propose you go find a front man in SD to place a bet with me. I'm willing to wager US$100.000 on Miguel Vargas Maldonado. Are you willing to play?
If you change that bet to something non-monetary I am game (I don't bet money as a matter of principle).

Darn, I should be working!