How often can a person return to the DR?

GH10ad

May 12, 2007
Hi,

If I visited for a week then wanted to visit again within 1 month, is this allowed? Is a tourist card valid for a set period of time, if so how long and how long must I wait in another country before I can get another tourist card for the Dominican Republic?

Thanks.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
You can come and go as you please, you'll have to purchase a tourist card everytime you arrive in the DR.

C

Chip00

Hi,

If I visited for a week then wanted to visit again within 1 month, is this allowed? Is a tourist card valid for a set period of time, if so how long and how long must I wait in another country before I can get another tourist card for the Dominican Republic?

Thanks.

It won't be a problem.

The tourist card is valid for 30 days - if it expires just buy another one for peanuts - US$10.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Couple of corrections...

I seem to recall that the Tourist Card is only good for two weeks - if you overstay this timeframe you pay a small penalty when you leave.

That's why the overstay fines start at 15 days:

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

Also you must also pay a departure Tax of $20US on departure (for most US airline tickets it's prepaid in the taxes section of your airline ticket).

Gregg

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
It won't be a problem.

The tourist card is valid for 30 days - if it expires just buy another one for peanuts - US$10.

Chip,

They collect the Tourist cards after you clear customs, you no longer have to hold on to them until your departure. Upon your departure, they will ask you how long was your trip and apply a fine if you stayed longer. You can't buy another tourist card, I believe you will just have to pay the fine.

C

Chip00

Couple of corrections...

I seem to recall that the Tourist Card is only good for two weeks - if you overstay this timeframe you pay a small penalty when you leave.

Also you must also pay a departure Tax of $20US on departure (for most US airline tickets it's in the taxes section of your airline ticket).

Gregg

Not quite....I live in Santiago as a non resident and traveled to Florida last month after staying here for more than 6 months and I only paid RD500 - I put it in my passport and gave it to the guy at the counter and said I was just a little late, hahha - thanks CC!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Not quite....I live in Santiago as a non resident and traveled to Florida last month after staying here for more than 6 months and I only paid RD500 - I put it in my passport and gave it to the guy at the counter and said I was just a little late, hahha - thanks CC!

The proper fine for 3 - 9 months IS $500RD...

Gregg

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I thought you said it was US20????

Even so I still paid too much - I want a refund!!!!! :)
Chip, ...... you normally read better than this. Are you on a golfing bender right now?? Fireguy said (post 6) RD $500 fine for 3 - 9 months overstay, BUT he added (quite rightly) that there is also the US $20 DEPARTURE tax to pay!! i.e. old son, RD $500 fine PLUS US $20 for the normal departure tax!! ~ Grahame.

C

Chip00

Chip, ...... you normally read better than this. Are you on a golfing bender right now?? Fireguy said (post 6) RD $500 fine for 3 - 9 months overstay, BUT he added (quite rightly) that there is also the US $20 DEPARTURE tax to pay!! i.e. old son, RD $500 fine PLUS US $20 for the normal departure tax!! ~ Grahame.

You mean I paid less than I was supposed to? You made my day Grahame! That's a cold presidente next time on me at Las Aromas! :)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've done 3 trips in the last 5 months and 12 trips within the past 18 months..they ask me for my dominican passport :laugh:

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Just a small comment ... i don't know why you guys don't become resident here, it is the easiest country in the world ..... A Dominica stays over time in your home country and he won't be allowed in anymore.

On top of it the people who stay over their tourist card because they live here or whatever even think they have some rights here when something happens.

Think about it guys .......

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Customs

Customs has nothing to do with collecting the $10 fee entering or the $20 fee leaving.....at least not in POP airport. You pay the $10 'tourist visa' entering, to a private company that has the concession from the government by the way, and if the $20 departure tax is not included in your ticket upon leaving, you pay the $20 going out at a counter in the departure lounge, an airline rep collects it on behalf of the government and it is strictly controlled and audited by headcount. Immigrations agents only collect any fines due when someone overstays their 2-week 'visa'. And that rarely goes anywhere except to the agent's pocket. Just like when Customs agents charge a 'fee' for goods brought in that they kind of arbitrarily decide should be 'taxed'. Government doesn't really have a good handle on that yet......what a surprise. This is the POP airport. How it works at Santiago, SDQ, and the others are 'supposed' to be the same......but..........you know. And as for the OP, yes, you can come and go as many times and as much as you like, as previously stated.