Trip to Barahona

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
This is not a trip report, just a short detail of my last trip to Barahona, the Pearl of the South:

I just came back from Barahona and we stayed at Pontevedra, it was great as ever; the A/C in my friends room was not working and they were moved immediately to another room.
Menu:
Dinner was a choice of Pork chops, Steak with Onions, fried fish or fried chicken served with papas or tostones and boiled vegetables, it was really good especially the steak with onions.

For breakfast we had mangu (mashed plantains Dominican style), toast, cheese and/or ham omelette, coffee and juice.

Saturday night we went dancing at El Manantial disco in la Cienaga and had a great time, came back to the hotel around 1AM and went in the pool until around 2:30 AM, the night was wonderful. Sunday morning we had breakfast and left to go around Enriquillo lake --long trip, done it like 6 times already and always say is my last one-- went to Polo Magnetico then to Jimani where we had a great time shopping at the Haitian border, bought plenty of Banbacourt (sp?) Haitian rum and Carolina rice at $10 pesos a pound, a bargain.

We then went around La Descubierta, stopped at every natural spring (Las Marias, Las Barias) and stopped at Lago Enriquillo, took a dip at the natural pool of sulphur waters which are supposed to have healing powers (for skin conditions and so) but the smell was too strong so I got out. Next was Las Caritas, also called Enriquillo's Throne, legend says rebellious Indian leader Enriquillo camped here when fighting the Spaniards. The climb is very steep and I didn't make it to the top, it was just to hot but my friends did. If you go to Lago Enriquillo and do not visit Las Caritas you're missing out on a great educating experience.

Check out the pictures, the quality is not as good as those posted by Motorcycler, but you can appreciate how much fun we had:

Barahona, Lago Enriquillo - a photoset on Flickr

PS: I am the one with the blond hair

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Good One For Sure!

Hey it looks like you had a load of fun, that's what it's all about. Liked your pictures in particular some of the views of San Rafael at the beach level and some of the Caritas.

I keep finding more caritas than ever. Even ran across a smiley that I am sure neither Enriquillo or any of his descendants had the chance to carve.

Great! I am returning in July with a bunch of bikers and we're going to visit all these places. I know what you said about going around Enriquillo. It is a chore but it is also so much fun.

TFS...-= Luis =-

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Hey it looks like you had a load of fun, that's what it's all about. Liked your pictures in particular some of the views of San Rafael at the beach level and some of the Caritas.

I keep finding more caritas than ever. Even ran across a smiley that I am sure neither Enriquillo or any of his descendants had the chance to carve.

Great! I am returning in July with a bunch of bikers and we're going to visit all these places. I know what you said about going around Enriquillo. It is a chore but it is also so much fun.

TFS...-= Luis =-

I will be in Barahona in July for at least 4-5 days, mainly in Bahoruco where we will be fixing up a little house by the beach. Let me know when you will be in the area and maybe we can meet up and I can cook for you (or have someone cook) some pescado con coco (DR style) and "arroz con gandules" (PR style).

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Marilyn we will be in Barahona from the 7th - 14th of July. I hope we can meet and we will reciprocate by giving you a ride on the bike. Boy and you even mentioned food, now that's a quick way of getting a biker's attention.

Thanks...-= Luis =-