antony santos at this year's montreal merengue fest

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Super!-

First of all Jasper thank you for keeping those of us who are interested informed well in advance. Planning is required in order to enjoy the weekend. I have been following silently and I am especially curious about the program. According to the website Rubby P?rez received the most votes but I don't think he will perform at the show.

Regarding Anthony Santos:

I think having Anthony Santos perform in Montreal is inevitable and I know this has been brewing for a while. The show promoters have done a great a job about keeping it quiet and rightly so! Bachata artists and performances come and go. However, Anthony Santos is one of the pillars of the genre regardless what some of the toughest critics have to say about bachata music.

From a historical perspective it carries a stigma, however, over the past decade the genre has become known via an international popularization of all forms of bachata. Ranging from the pop forms of Aventura to the contagious and melodic beats of Frank Reyes however, Anthony Santos is in a category of his own without a doubt. Categorically defined as bachata del pueblo, this is the kind of bachata that is indicative of its roots. No matter how artists of today fusion rhythms to create a more "acceptable" style of bachata IMO it always comes down to the roots of where it began which is m?sica del amargue.

I have always been taught to appreciate music of all kinds but especially anything that originates from the Caribbean. I do appreciate tropical music and make an earnest effort to understand the roots of each genre and its wonderful acoustic composition. Bachata is no exception.

Due to the type of repertoire Anthony has his performance will be an absolute treat for all his fans. I suspect he will close the show on the Sunday evening and I anticipate a tremendous performance. The songs he will play is anyone's pick. He has so many good ones. Voy pa'lla, Me quiero morir, Ay de m?, ay de ti, Coraz?n culpable, and his colossal hit of all time P?game tu vicio.

Anthony Santos Montreal welcomes you. I'll be there.

-LDG.

Last edited:

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Thanks Jasper!

Thanks so much for letting us know that Antony Santos is coming to Montreal.
OK, I was hoping for Frank Reyes, but this is super! I never thought Antony would come here! And he wasn't even on the list to vote for.
I will be there for sure and I will bring my family along.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I am SOOO there. The tickets haven't gone on sale yet, next week. His show is the sunday at 8pm ; )

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I have called the numbers supplied to get VIP tickets. The first time a got a "live" person who told me to call the other # and leave a message. I did this twice. No response.
The website is under re-construction.

Does anybody know what is going on?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
The person I spoke to told me they did not go on sale until later this week but I haven't called back yet. I have never bought tickets in advance for merengue fest even for Aventura. But this is Antony Santos, and I know how much Dominicanos in Montreal love El Mayimbe ;)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
RE: The V.I.P Tickets-

I called on Monday of this week which was the first day the tickets were supposed to go on sale and the guy on the phone who was a perfect gentleman told me that there would be around a hundred tickets or so. I am not interested in getting V.I.P tickets I just wanted to be sure that we could buy tickets on the day of the show, which he did confirm. If you don't want V.I.P tickets pay the entrance fee to the park and you are covered for the day.

Just an fyi Parc Jean-Drapeau is big and for dancing outdoors it's wonderful. Last year the turn out for the Tito Rojas show at the close was excellent. Lots of people, GREAT sound and salsa pa' los rumberos. However, given how bachata is well-liked in Montreal (Que viva Montreal!) be prepared to even dance on the grass. Don't say I didn't tell you.

-LDG.

BTW- that remake of Spanish Girl by Amarfis on the home page is quite good! My goodness it reminds when I heard the first remake of that song in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I enjoyed that version but this one is even better. I will have consider listening to the rest of the album.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
You are getting me super excited :bunny: I can dance on grass where ever the music will keep me moving no matter whare I am :) I can't wait!!

I called on Monday of this week which was the first day the tickets were supposed to go on sale and the guy on the phone who was a perfect gentleman told me that there would be around a hundred tickets or so. I am not interested in getting V.I.P tickets I just wanted to be sure that we could buy tickets on the day of the show, which he did confirm. If you don't want V.I.P tickets pay the entrance fee to the park and you are covered for the day.

Just an fyi Parc Jean-Drapeau is big and for dancing outdoors it's wonderful. Last year the turn out for the Tito Rojas show at the close was excellent. Lots of people, GREAT sound and salsa pa' los rumberos. However, given how bachata is well-liked in Montreal (Que viva Montreal!) be prepared to even dance on the grass. Don't say I didn't tell you.

-LDG.

BTW- that remake of Spanish Girl by Amarfis on the home page is quite good! My goodness it reminds when I heard the first remake of that song in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I enjoyed that version but this one is even better. I will have consider listening to the rest of the album.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
What exactly does the VIP get you?
Does anyone know the price of the entrance ticket?
I think I paid 15$ or so last year...

There will definitely be dancing going on in the grass.
My only complaint is the setup for the toilets, ?a pue!!! And there are not enough :speechles The line can get real long...

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the tip, I will remember not to drink too much water or ice tea sends me to the potty quickly lol ;)

What exactly does the VIP get you?
Does anyone know the price of the entrance ticket?
I think I paid 15$ or so last year...

There will definitely be dancing going on in the grass.
My only complaint is the setup for the toilets, ?a pue!!! And there are not enough :speechles The line can get real long...

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
The website is now functional but.....according to the site the headliners are monchy y alexandra!!! What happened to el mayimbe?

It's impossible to reach anyone at the #

Anyone got the low-down?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
OK it also says Antony Santos, so when is monchy y alexandra?
There website doesnt exactly tell much...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hey I'm gonna go see Antony Santos on Saturday. My friend is dragging me there, she loooves him. So I'll be with the Domyorks dancing to Antony Santos. :paranoid:I hope they all behave.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Hey I'm gonna go see Antony Santos on Saturday. My friend is dragging me there, she loooves him. So I'll be with the Domyorks dancing to Antony Santos. :paranoid:I hope they all behave.

I was going to go to see him at Sandbar in Jersey City on Sunday but didn't want to be out so late before work. Where will he be on Saturday and do you know any other times places he will be in NJ/NYC?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I was going to go to see him at Sandbar in Jersey City on Sunday but didn't want to be out so late before work. Where will he be on Saturday and do you know any other times places he will be in NJ/NYC?

Its a concert at Rose Castle, 380 flushing Ave, BK, NY
(718)573-3296

If you listen to La Mega you will hear of places he might be going to.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This thread is about Antony Santos coming to Montreal Canada.

Don't mess it up and confuse everyone. If he's coming to the US please start your own thread.;)

Music or Lesley when is the date for this festival in Montreal?

yes I'm a crump

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
The Montreal Merengue Festival is on Sat July 21 and Sun July 22 2007!
Anthony Santos will be performing at the festival! :)

This thread is about Antony Santos coming to Montreal Canada.

Don't mess it up and confuse everyone. If he's coming to the US please start your own thread.;)

Music or Lesley when is the date for this festival in Montreal?

yes I'm a crump