Wtf????

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
"La Rep?blica Dominicana es un estado haitiano que ocupa algo m?s de los dos tercios orientales de la isla de Santo Domingo o La Espa?ola, en el Archipi?lago de las Antillas."

IN ENGLISH:

"The Dominican Republic is a Haitian state which occupies a little more than the eastern two thirds of the island of Santo Domingo or Hispa?ola, in the Antilles archipelago."

Can someone know when did the Dominican Republic became a state of Haiti?

Who is the person behind such erroneos comment?

Click here to read the entire article -- created by a wishful pro-Haitian individual.

--Given the large number of people, there is a good chance someone might know something about whose behind this or be able to help in correcting such erroneous articles or comments.

-NALs

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Perfect example of why it's not good to rely on Wiki.

Last year, members of the Colbert Nation updated Wikipedia: the elephant population had tripled in the last six months.

C

Chip00

Nals

Someone posted a similar thread yesterday which was summarily shut down quickly.

It had to do with the English version of the Dominican Republic on Wikipedia. The author stated that the Trinitaria was a secret racist society and stuff about how the Haitians were the real benefactors of the Dominicans.

I have already contacted the Ministry of Culture and Tourism and let them know that the webpage was being vandalized and the damage that it could do to their image. I also let them know there is a way for a webpage to be "locked" to prevent further vandalism.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Hmmmmmm .... perhaps this will be a warning to you not to cite the internets as the sole source of reference material ... get a library card also. :glasses:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Its a Wiki Nals ... go in and edit it. Also, if you click on 'historial', top of page, you can see the editing history. Wiki's are of course not reliable information.

Go and edit the thing and fix the silly-ness already.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hmmmmmm .... perhaps this will be a warning to you not to cite the internets as the sole source of reference material ... get a library card also. :glasses:
When was the last time I cited Wikipedia?

BTW, how can someone eliminate a myth that is unprovable?

Hm, I guess all the people who studied an area of expertise and post on DR1 didn't really study such in college. I guess they simply are copying from wikipedia because what they say is there.... silly argument, no?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping someone "in the know" was a member of this site and be able to help in correcting such information. It's hard to edit a page that is edited back to its erroneous comment by a person with some sort of anti-Dominican agenda.

That's not the only flaw in that article.

For example, the Taino section has had its title modified with the word capital T in Taino being changed to a minor t.

In the demographic section it mentions that 51% of the population is mulatto, 46% black, and 2% white; when in reality the actual percentages (once one takes into account the estimated Haitian population in the country and assuming at least that 99% of them are blacks) are closer to 70% mulatto, 20% black, and 10% white.

The most changes has been done in the english version of the article.

But, anyone who fixes the incorrect information being presented there will find their efforts to be in vain since its quickly replaced with the erroneous comments by the same individual - a quick glance at the historial reveals this.

All in all, this is more evidence of the existance of the anti-Dominican crowd who are becoming increasingly noisy lately.

If they only had a sound foundation to support their agenda, but they don't and that's the scary part.

-NALs

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Well, I read some comment on a newspaper, that in the Haitian constitution it states that the Island is theirs.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I was hoping someone "in the know" was a member of this site and be able to help in correcting such information. It's hard to edit a page that is edited back to its erroneous comment by a person with some sort of anti-Dominican agenda.
-NALs

I had success with editing a wiki piece for a customer of mine. It was like chewing stones and took more than a year, but we hung in there, kept citing our edits, and eventually the writers of the original wrong stuff just plain gave up. We also became friends with the wiki moderator of that section. If you're committed and willing to follow it through over time, it can certainly be done.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
When was the last time I cited Wikipedia?

BTW, how can someone eliminate a myth that is unprovable?

Hm, I guess all the people who studied an area of expertise and post on DR1 didn't really study such in college. I guess they simply are copying from wikipedia because what they say is there.... silly argument, no?
It wasn't directed at you specifically, rather, at everyone who cite wiki as their "authenticated" source.

You answered your question, if a myth is debunked, it's no longer a myth, otherwise, it'll remain a myth for people who believe in myths (or crap).

Wikipedia or encyclopedia ... hmmmmm ... "experts" shouldn't cite wikipedia.

C

Chip00

It wasn't directed at you specifically, rather, at everyone who cite wiki as their "authenticated" source.

You answered your question, if a myth is debunked, it's no longer a myth, otherwise, it'll remain a myth for people who believe in myths (or crap).

Wikipedia or encyclopedia ... hmmmmm ... "experts" shouldn't cite wikipedia.

Not really - there are many "non volatile" topics that are very accurate and informative and run little chance of being vandalized. However, one just needs to be aware that "controversial" topics on Wikipedia run the greater chance of vandalism.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
They are actually under the allusion (illusion) ;) that they have a real government too for sure.

I believe the perpetrator is probably from the Haitian community in the US that are increasingly pushing an agenda to have the DR viewed as a racist society and for sure are receiving some support at least from racist elements in the US.
Yes, there is a great conspiracy by all Haitians to launch an invasion of Hispaniola in three wooden ships then return it to the Caribs and Arawaks. :)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Before this thing gets shut down I figure if a bunch of us take a turn every day to do some editing in Wiki. We probably can exhaust this guy.;)

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006

Using the internets as a sole source of reference material is like getting your news from FAUX-TV and CNN. That's why The Kid relies solely on Comedy Central for his fake news.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
"Nals: In the demographic section it mentions that 51% of the population is mulatto, 46% black, and 2% white; when in reality the actual percentages (once one takes into account the estimated Haitian population in the country and assuming at least that 99% of them are blacks) are closer to 70% mulatto, 20% black, and 10% white. "

I can't help but comment on the audacity of some individuals upset about exagerrated comments made from a certain individual then turns around and make erroneous statements about haitians. If haitians are 99% black then dominincans are 99% mulatto. Please take heed to your own words and stop exagerrating because it does nothing for your stance on this issue.

I am shaking my head in disbelief of the state of mind of certain folks in this forum. The xenophobia towards haitians has nothing to do with nationalism as stated rather the mis-education/lack of knowledge of many dominicans towards haitians.

Chip, one can not compare the USA's segregated society no more than 50 years ago where whites and blacks lived completely different lives/experiences(By law) in the same enclaves which still, today, haven't consciously accepted interracial couples. Dominican republic did the exact opposite where interracial relationships were encouraged. Thus, you being white having a black/mulatto wife is seen as the norm.

What several posters are writing here in this thread is no different from what the individual wrote, exagerrating the circumstances.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Cleaning the mess.

In the demographic section it mentions that 51% of the population is mulatto, 46% black, and 2% white; when in reality the actual percentages (once one takes into account the estimated Haitian population in the country and assuming at least that 99% of them are blacks) are closer to 70% mulatto, 20% black, and 10% white.

The most changes has been done in the english version of the article.

But, anyone who fixes the incorrect information being presented there will find their efforts to be in vain since its quickly replaced with the erroneous comments by the same individual - a quick glance at the historial reveals this.

All in all, this is more evidence of the existance of the anti-Dominican crowd who are becoming increasingly noisy lately.

If they only had a sound foundation to support their agenda, but they don't and that's the scary part.

-NALs

Nals, on the Spanish language version, I was the one that placed " 51% Mulatto, 46% Black." in the demographics section. Those are just my own estimates, based on my own experiences seeing DR. The definition of what is a " Mulatto" varies from person to person. To me, Mulatto definition is more strict, somebody looking like Senator Pared Perez. This is my view, since I'm of Cibae?o decent, and that population is what I considered to be the real Mulatto, not somebody looking like Sergio Vargas. Overall, the concensus is that over half the population is Mulatto. 14% black, 11% black, is too embarassing for me to say, I see that as an ammunition for these anti-dominican bigots to attack us and always accussing us of " being in denial". For me, is just a reasonable demographic estimates.

Anyways, I don't want this to be locked prematuraly because i'm discussing racial matters, so I'm moving to the point. I'm not an administrator on Wiki, and the Spanish-language is not hijacked. So if you want to add other numbers ,you can. It is what is called a neutral point-of-view.

On the other hand, on the English language Article, it is a totally different ball game. The administrator ( presumably a Haitian, based on his Haitiphilic slant and other evidences) is abusing his powers to censor any different point of view. He has blocked me several times, because i'm resisting his biased agenda. So he is like a god basically, it is a no-win situation there. That's why i brought it to the attention of this forum.

He deliveratately " cherry-picked" the source that he placed himself from Silvio-Torres Saillant that says " around 90% of the Dominicans are Blacks and Mulattoes" (again, Saillant's own estimates, but acknowledging DR's mixed-race heritage, nevertheless) and placed it as " 90% is of African decent or has African roots" , as to make DR look like Zambia, Congo. He has a problem with DR's mixed-race heritage and its European heritage all-together.

This idiot even told me that " He can't put " mixed-race european and african decent" because " That is an English-language page, and in America, mixed with Black is just Black". :cross-eye: Go figure ! and just locked the piece.

That is a far-cry from what I added on the Spanish version. Anyways, I know that Wikipedia is not taken seriously because of that, I just brought it to the attention of this site as to make people aware of anti-dominican propaganda flowing around in the internet and do something about it.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
How interesting! Now if we can just get the 'career thread hijackers' to stay off religion and race, we may have an interesting and productive result here.

asopao, I hope Nals is still reading this!

It is worth while to do battle with that admin to get the facts reported fairly. Any help I can give you, just ask.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
the issue is abuse of power to spread propaganda.

I didn't see that part of the Spanish version side about DR being " a Haitian State". must have been a newly biased addition by the abusive administrator from the English edition. From what i've seen, he doesn't know Spanish, but maybe found somebody to import his agenda on that version of the article.( explained why the entire article hasn't been twisted).

When I encountered the Spanish-version, on the History section, I did find it to have some anti-haitian slant. Yet, out of respect for the editor that place it, I didn't delete it. They were actual facts, but the way they got worded look like anti-haitian slant. The pieces that I added are in Black-bold, and the " red-highlighted " is the sections that I found to be a little anti-haitian biased.

"En busca de su propio destino y un futuro mejor, la colonia espa?ola en Santo Domingo se separ? de Espa?a en forma no b?lica mediante transacciones pac?ficas. Sin embargo, el gobernador Jos? Nu?ez de Caceres mantuvo la esclavitud y la discriminacion racial en las leyes. Esto result? en que muchos dominicanos se sintieran desemparados, principalmente en la poblacion mulata, y apoyaran la propaganda del dictador haitiano Jean-Pierre Boyer de unificar la isla, que les prometia tener mas derechos y privilegios con la constituci?n haitiana. Santo Domingo se vio cercenado con la esperada invasi?n del pa?s por el ej?rcito de la vecina naci?n haitiana.

Durante 22 a?os anexaron los haitianos territorio dominicano e intentaron eliminar el idioma y las costumbres para asimilar a los habitantes dominicanos al Estado Haitiano. Medidas positivas de la anexi?n haitiana fueron la abolici?n de los pocos esclavos que todavian quedaban y leyes que no discriminan en bases de color. El dictador haitiano Jean-Pierre Boyer orden? a publicar los documentos oficiales en franc?s y otras medidas que atentaban contra la esencia misma de las tradiciones y cultura de lo que vendr?a a ser m?s tarde el pueblo dominicano. Practicaron la depredaci?n de los grandes bosques maderables para pagar las reparaciones de guerra a Francia con la madera exportada."

Anyways, this is a " FAR-CRY" from the blatant " Haitiphilic, anti-dominican" propaganda placed on the English-language version. and the Abusive admistrator is getting away with all of it, simply because he can !!

The Spanish-language history edition is BY FAR, MORE BALANCED article of the two. DR is a country with a wide diverse political, religious, racial, and social views, and anyone should be welcome to post ALL THEIR VIEWS, WhETHER IS THIS WEBSITE, WIKI, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE.

But this abusive administrator, doesn't want that. It is like some Duvalier or a Trujillo. Something facist.

Status
Not open for further replies.