Policia Nacional

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
If there are municipal police forces, what is the role of the national police within the DR law enforcement structure? Are they something akin to state police in the US? The uniforms look pretty military.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If there are municipal police forces, what is the role of the national police within the DR law enforcement structure? Are they something akin to state police in the US? The uniforms look pretty military.
All local cops are part of the Policia Nacional, except for AMET and Turismo cops.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Okay,okay...

glad to give you guys yet another chance to vent. But I already know that the PN are widely regarded as corrupt and/or useless. That's not breaking news. What I'm wondering is what they're supposed to be doing rather than extorting money from people or taking bribes to turn a blind eye.

I'm not talking about the local cops, but rather the guys in camo fatigues who get temporarily assigned to to barracks all around the country. I met one who's been sent to Santo Domingo, Barahona and Santiago over the past eight months. He mentioned that he'd been injured in a riot in Navarette.

Since they don't appear to be tied to any specific locale, I was wondering what their official function is supposed to be. They seem almost like a paramilitary group.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
You are quite mistaken. There are no local police. There are no municipal police. Only Policia Nacional. AMET was made part of PN by Hippo.
And any police you think are municipal police are private.
Therefore your question has no answer except: "they do what police do".

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You are quite mistaken. There are no local police. There are no municipal police. Only Policia Nacional. AMET was made part of PN by Hippo.
And any police you think are municipal police are private.
Therefore your question has no answer except: "they do what police do".
I guess you only read the first post.
Reading the rest of the thread will tell you that the question was answered long ago.

Sep 19, 2005
it makes sense that there are no local police, since twice i heard of towns where the whole police force was moved because of corruption. to where ?? who knows..

The Bonao police force was moved...and recently I read that the Las Terranas(spelling correct?) was also moved.

INSTEAD of just firing the whole corrupt crew.. they just move them to some other place where the people dont know they are corrupt yet!

Bottom line is if they have SOME kind of uniform AND a weapon....you have to stop for them!! ha ha ha
bob

Jan 5, 2006
Policia Nacional are the guys in the undersized gray shirts with rusty revolvers.

Ejercito Nacional are the guys in camo. They are usually assigned as support personnel for the PN, at airports, seaports, and border checkpoints.

Anyone of them, (PN or EN) can be moved from one place to another. In the case of corrupt acts; they are usually dispersed among other locations to continue their shananigans.

Hey, it's a piramid scheme, and as long as the guys at the top get their cut, they just keep shuffling the deck. ;)