Dominican Government Question

C

Chip00

I have a question about the Dominican government system.

When a person wins the Presidential general election, what does the party have to gain? Specifically, does the whole party win all of the seats in congress? Also, what appointments does he get to make?

Also, I understand their are seats in congress available - but is it every two or four years? What appointments do the congressman get to make?

If one party doesn't by law take all of the seats, does the election method of voting facilitate this by "encouraging" the voter to go for a straight ticket?

I'm trying to understand how the politicians can care so little about their political life - they seem to be unaffected by constituent's nor the press' displeasure with them. This appears to even be more of the case with the appointments as well. For example, when the PRD won in 2000 the appointee over the airports fired a whole lot of people, including my wife who was a nurse at the time and these people had to re-apply for their same job back after the new gov't. was established.

C

Chip00

Nals, primo A. Higaldo - you guys want to help a poor gringo out and explain?

Les agradeceria mucho

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Presidential election, now every 4 years allow a party to name all of the provincial governors, the ministers and most of the major jobs. A huge payroll.

the legislative and municipal are also everey two years but different from the Presidential elections. However, there is a move to put them together again, something I would hate to see, since the interim elections of the legislators gives the people a chance to express their pleasure or disgust with the way things are going.
At different tiems, the "house cleaning" was know as the 'steamroller" or the grader....aplanadora, or rodillo.....

Written in a hurry....

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Seems to me the #1 impediment to an effective government system in the DR is lack of a true, apolitical Civil Service employment system.

How on earth would anyone expect any governmental efficiencies with basic government positions changing every 4 years?

And why would anyone NOT expect corruption in government workers if they have the REAL recognition they've only got 4 years to "get" all they can, instead of a longer view of fair employment and benefits with a solid retirement program?

Am I lacking on perspective?

C

Chip00

Seems to me the #1 impediment to an effective government system in the DR is lack of a true, apolitical Civil Service employment system.

How on earth would anyone expect any governmental efficiencies with basic government positions changing every 4 years?

And why would anyone NOT expect corruption in government workers if they have the REAL recognition they've only got 4 years to "get" all they can, instead of a longer view of fair employment and benefits with a solid retirement program?

I've noticed the same thing. The system is all set up for failure.

I hear in the street that this Estrella guy is supposed to be honest - I'm going to be paying attention to the radio broadcast to see if he is willing to address the difficult issues. The funny thing is how people make fun of the politicians in the US who won't address the issues but here in the DR the way they do it makes the US politicians look like rank amateurs.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

No, you more or less put your finger on it. The drawback for the parties is - how do they reward the party faithful without the incentives of jobs in the government?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No, you more or less put your finger on it. The drawback for the parties is - how do they reward the party faithful without the incentives of jobs in the government?
How is it done in countries where there IS a civil service system?

I'm fairly politically active in my location, but it never once occured to me that there was some direct benefit just for me by doing so.

Prolly a hard habit to break.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How is it done in countries where there IS a civil service system?

I'm fairly politically active in my location, but it never once occured to me that there was some direct benefit just for me by doing so.

Prolly a hard habit to break.
Definitely. In countries where there is a civil service system people vote mainly for principles, and to a lesser extent for any indirect benefits their party might bring them - tax cuts, improved services, etc.

There are civic programmes in the DR run by groups like Participaci?n Cuidadana - and funded by international institutions like the IDB - that are trying to break that habit but it's going to take a long time.

Part of the problem is poverty - many people see their only hope as a 'botella' - and it removes the incentive for them to work towards achieving academically, professionally or building up a business.

Of course, it happens throughout the social scale - bigwigs finance party campaigns and expect big rewards - like lucrative diplomatic appointments, construction contracts etc. I wonder if the IDB invited them to citizen awareness-raising workshops...

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I wonder if the IDB invited them to citizen awareness-raising workshops...

:laugh: Do you think it would not be a waste of time and effort? They would sit, shake heads in agreement, talk beautifully and then get out and continue doing what they were doing in the name of Jesus ...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
:laugh: Do you think it would not be a waste of time and effort? They would sit, shake heads in agreement, talk beautifully and then get out and continue doing what they were doing in the name of Jesus ...
Don't forget the "picadera".;)

C

Chip00

What about voting a straight ticket? Is it required or does the voting method promote it. It seems when one party wins their is no mention of the other parties.

Also, is their a link to the members of congress and their districts and also to the governors and mayors?