Taxi Cab Driver

relaxtime

Apr 3, 2007
My husband and I are planning to arrive at the POP airport on June 15th. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with contact information for a reliable taxi driver to drive us to our hotel in Cabarete.
Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Relaxtime ;)

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Just get a taxi at the airport. Cabarete is not very far. The taxis are in good condition and large for carrying lots of luggage and people. They tend to be the better taxis - that is how they get the airport position..

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I think that the fixed rate from the airport is about U$ 35 or $40, I could give you a number for a local taxi, that would charge half of that. But really the difference isn't that much.

relaxtime

Apr 3, 2007
If you want to pre-arrange a pick up contact Martin Espinal espinal30@msn.com and he or one of his drivers will be there.

Gregg

Prearranged was what I had in mind. When we arrive at the airport should we exchange some money right away for taxi fare? Do you suggest exchanging at the airport as apposed to some place in Cabarete?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think that the fixed rate from the airport is about U$ 35 or $40, I could give you a number for a local taxi, that would charge half of that. But really the difference isn't that much.

You are way off on your guess. The official rate is $20 from POP to Sosua, I believe the last time I looked the official rate from POP to Cabarete was $25.

There is no reason not to take a Taxi Turistica from the airport, the rates are posted on a large sign and they will not rip you off if you confirm the rate before embarking.

A "local" taxi is not allowed to do airport pickups, only drop offs.

Cheers,

tambo

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Tambo,

I live in Puerto Plata and ALWAYS call a local taxi to pick me up. They cannot wait for fares from arriving tourists, but if called, can enter the airport to pick up a client.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
You are way off on your guess. The official rate is $20 from POP to Sosua, I believe the last time I looked the official rate from POP to Cabarete was $25.

There is no reason not to take a Taxi Turistica from the airport, the rates are posted on a large sign and they will not rip you off if you confirm the rate before embarking.

A "local" taxi is not allowed to do airport pickups, only drop offs.

Cheers,

tambo

I was talking about the rates posted on the sign, I think that's what they are, and yes I know it's a rip off. Personally I take the guagau for $20 pesos, I like the local colour!

mspattya

Oct 2, 2006
Offer 20.00 Us and be firm you will get one of them to take you .They will take us currency so dont worry about that. Once you are in Cabarate there are 2 banks you can use to change money, both on the main road. I usually use my debit card at the bank atm instead of changing dollars, but my bank only charges 1% for the fee yours may be different. If you spend us dollars with the local merchants they may give you a lower exchange rate, they make a few extra bucks this way so try to use only peso when shopping.
Always ask for a cash discount some will give it some will not but it is worth the ask.