Jose Francisco Pena Gomez

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
So far from what I've heard about him I'm a fan of him, even though he's dead and long gone, but I really don't know all that much about him and I don't want to be one of those people that talk out of their asses. I would like to know some facts about his campaign, what shape its in now, and I would also like to hear some person opinions about him. I would also like to learn about Leonel Fernandez's past, history, his campaign, his policies, and some personal opinions about him. I live in DR and I still dont knwo **** about him lol but alot of people seem to complain about him.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A picture is worth a thousand words...

Here's a picture of Jos? Francisco Pe?a Gomez around the time I met him. He was very close to me and my parents. I knew him personally and worked for him during his tenure as Mayor (S?ndico) of Santo Domingo. He died from cancer in 1998.

61x118k.jpg

Jos? Francisco Pe?a Gomez (1937- 1998

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
From what I know about him, once again what IIIIIII know about him, he seemed like he would ahve become the greatest president if not leader this country could have ever had. Pretty messed up how he lost the elections though.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
On the contrary, Jos? Francisco Pe?a Gomez would not have made a very effective president, maybe a good religious person... Pe?a Gomez was overtly sentimental, and during his tenure as Santo Domingo Mayor, I personally witnessed that he did not have the heart to jail several of his associates caught in delinquent behavior. Also, he was personally not very courageous person, something mercilessly exploited by friends and foes alike. Many times Pe?a Gomez believed he was hiding from Balaguer's goons, when actually Balaguer was protecting him. Politically, Balaguer played him like a fiddle, making him dance this way and that, to keep him from becoming president, albeit Pe?a Gomez' enormous charisma and popularity...

newyorkcityboy

Feb 2, 2007
i happen to think that mr. gomez to be a extremly brite person that would have been a great president here in the d.r. but i personaly feel that the d.r. to be a racist country within you will never see a black president in the d.r.especially with hatian desent. thats just my opinion.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
i happen to think that mr. gomez to be a extremly brite person that would have been a great president here in the d.r. but i personaly feel that the d.r. to be a racist country within you will never see a black president in the d.r.especially with hatian desent. thats just my opinion.

You mean like scotch-brite person? ...;-)

Actually, the Dominican Republic has seen many presidents of Haitian descent. Among the most recent, El Jefe himself, Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina) who was part Haitian (grandson of Ercin? Chevalier (Haitian). Others include Ulises Heureaux (Lil?s), Gregorio Luper?n...

By the way, (and listen carefully, while reading my lips..;-), The Dominican Republic is not a recist country.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Since All Dominicans Have A Little,"Black Behind Their Ears"

It might not be a "Racist" country,per se, but it is surely filled with self hatred!
I have never lived in,or visited for long enough to understand,ANY country that takes a persons"Color" and physical characteristics,hair,lips,nose,into such consideration!!!
Go into any bank,or other,business institution,and see what "color" the executives are. White! Tellers,receptionist,"Light",security guards,maids,"Black"!!!
In the DR,the "Lighter" your skin,the better job you can get!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Pena Gomez,was a liar,thief,Communist,who used "Drug Money" to finance his political ambitions! He didn't prosecute his "Buddies",because you don't do "That" in the DR!He was the "Ugliest" political leader ,next to Idi Amin",I have ever seen. And he married a "White" woman too!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
JFPG was a PRD member... nuff said. :tired:

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the DR,the "Lighter" your skin,the better job you can get!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
The lighter your skin, the greater the probability you come from an upper class or middle class background, which increases the probability that you will befriend other members of such classes, and being a member of such classes will increase the probability of attaining a good education or college education. The combination of good social connections and a good education education leads to good jobs, the wrong type of connections and low education leads to bad jobs.

There are always exceptions to the rule and none of those exceptions are due to "chance", but rather they networked with the right crowd and the doors that were once shut, miraculously began to open.

-NALs

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
Mirador said:
Many times Pe?a Gomez believed he was hiding from Balaguer's goons, when actually Balaguer was protecting him.
Never heard that one before.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Never heard that one before.

That's because it is not in the books, nor journals, news reports, or whatever. It will never will, and I will not talk about it in order to protect the innocent, the not so innocent, and out of respect for those that may or not deserve it. I witnessed it. I saw Pe?a Gomez in hiding, even behind a curtain in a living room. I knew the people who were hiding him. I also knew they were hiding Pe?a Gomez on Balaguer's orders. Pe?a Gomez died without realizing that some of his most cherished friends and associates were actually working for his nemesis. Pe?a Gomez was never in any danger, not even during the trying times of the failed Playa Caracoles incursion by former Col. Francis Caama?o De??. Underneath all the pretense, Dominican politics is a dance of treachery, layers upon layers of it, intertwined to the point where it becomes impossible to tell who betrays who. In the final analysis, it is the Dominican people who have always been betrayed by their own politicians...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From my point of view, Pe?a was a very charismatic personality, bred to give speeches from the top of a barricade. His party, the PRD, was the party of the "masses" and the masses identified with Pe?a, his words and, yes, his looks.
Given that there were serious doubts as to his birthplace (much like in the case of Juan Bosch), a strong case could be made against him. Mirador pointed out that his personality was more for speech making rather than leading a government, he was too weak and too idealistic. Colon CCCC pointed out the issue of drug money.
One of the things I noted during his last days was that his party seemed to use him like the Spaniards used El Cid. They trotted him out to make appearances in spite of his very bad health. His death sparked the landslide victory in the municipal and legislative elections for the PRD.
As for Peggy? (ugh.+)

HB

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
Pena Gomez was a great man, but I wouldn?t doubt his fear of Balaguer. This wasn?t only evident from his inaction during Caamano?s return but by how he let his election in the 90?s just slip?
Now, I?ve got to ask, what possible reason did Balaguer have to protect Pena Gomez? And from who?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
One of the things I noted during his last days was that his party seemed to use him like the Spaniards used El Cid. They trotted him out to make appearances in spite of his very bad health.

With respect, HB, all three parties engaged in this ghoulish practice with their ailing leaders. Balaguer was blind and frail when he 'ran' for election in 2000, and Bosch was still being wheeled out to face the public when he was completely gaga.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
True enough. But Balaguer still had his mind and he wanted to do it....and he "won" however it was done...
Bosch is another story. He never ever had the charisma that Pe?a had. He was a better party boss than Pe?a but nowhere near as charismatic.
And I have never heard anyone saying that the party killed Balaguer or Bosch. And this has been said a lot by people here about what was done with Pe?a...

But Peace to their remains....

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And I have never heard anyone saying that the party killed Balaguer or Bosch. And this has been said a lot by people here about what was done with Pe?a...
That's true, but because their deaths could not have been said to be untimely by any stretch of the imagination, unlike Pe?a's at the age of 59.
However, it could be said their parties prevented them from having a dignified old age.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
The leaders of the past

I have to agree with Mirador -- Pe?a Gomez was a great firebrand .. from the very first moment of his entry onto the historical scene with his notable radio address to the people to take the country into their own hands. Charismatic, a rousing speaker, and in many ways more "human" or approachable than the other leaders of the time. But i think he would have made a disastrous president. I think that the great leaders of that period, including Balaguer and Bosch, were all in some ways larger than life but deeply flawed leaders.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
I think he would have made a great president because he would have helped the poor, which is basically the majority of the nation. I think he would have had the sense to hire people in his cabinet to deal with economics and all that mess. I still consider him one of my heroes despite the drug money stuff. Lets face it people, not everyone is perfect. Yeah he used drug money and stuff but Balaguer killed people. Trujillo killed people and even HE did some good things for the country. So if a good man, living in an ugly and unjust world, uses drug money earned by his associates to for a good cause...then is it really so bad? Or maybe I'm just talking out my ass. I don't know. Can someone please explain to me his ideas of politics and any plans that he might have had for if he reached presidency??

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I think he would have made a great president because he would have helped the poor, which is basically the majority of the nation.

I don't know much, but I do know this: no president could EVER be considered great. Not then, not now, NOT EVER.

And they don't have to be great to be effective. But that's how the system works: greed and no real sacrifice.

The boat will always leak, and a new captain will come in and plug the hole, and in the process...

Politics is fun and stuff.