Importing

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have read many threads and spoken to many experienced people, so the following question is being posed not out of laziness:

We have opened a clothing boutique in Sosua and are stocking it with clothing (new) that I am sending down from New York. If I am not mistaken, the import taxes come to about 60% of the value of the merchandise. In reality, however, no one I speak to seems to pay anything close to the full taxes.

In order to get the first shipment down quickly, I sent it by air through a reputable company that I have used for years for personal goods. In this instance I did pay taxes which came to about 20% of the $5,000 value of the goods, or $1,000. The shipping and insurance cost $850. Total $1850.

Several companies offer comparable terms for shipping by sea - $80 for a standard size package regardless of the weight when shipping used clothing, and $200 when shipping new clothing. - taxes included.

Okay - So here I am, a 63 year old gringo who would like to operate as legitimately as possible without being a complete sucker. Every Dominican tells me "no one pays impuestos", and even the shipping companies have a completely indecipherable system for dealing with the issue. I refuse, at this stage of my life, to run afoul of the law, but I want to be realistic at the same time. Below are what I think are my alternatives. I hope someone with experience in this area can comment both from the aspect of practicality and legal exposure.

1. Bring the stuff in myself on my monthly trips through the POP airport and give the customs man $50 if I get stopped. I don't want to do this for 2 reasons, 1. It's illegal. 2. I don't want to travel like a pack horse.

2. Send by sea for $200. The downside is that it takes a month and I don't know if it's reliable. And why would there be no taxes based on value?

3. Keep sending by air the way I did. In general that seems to add about 35% to my costs, and is also mysterious in the tax dept.

I guess my questions are, am I exposed to potential punishment in any of these scenarios, and am I missing a practical and professional way of sending my merchadise?

Thanks - Danny

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i use La Union Shipping, jerome ave., bronx, door to door, BIG box, 100$, by sea, one month-so what? VERY reliable............boxes arrive unopened at my doorstep.................all clothing without price tags is used.............they will also ship refrigerators, washers, anything.......they will supply the box too.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
i use La Union Shipping, jerome ave., bronx, door to door, BIG box, 100$, by sea, one month-so what? VERY reliable............boxes arrive unopened at my doorstep.................all clothing without price tags is used.............they will also ship refrigerators, washers, anything.......they will supply the box too.

Thanks. A few questions:

How big is the box?

It's NEVER opened?

How often have you used them? - D

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
la union shipping co., 1680 jerome ave, bronx, NY 10453, 718-583-6046, sent a box just yesterday, roughly 28 X 28 X 38, over 100 lbs. i have not had one opened and have used this co. for over 4 years.