Open Letter to Leonel Fernandez, President

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
I find myself mistified that this country is in such bad shape, been here since the day you took office and it has gotten worse. The so called outopista has lights,and pedestrian traffic and motor cycles driven by fools without sence of road rules. Come on this is the twenty-first century. The crime rate is self evident, even I carry a gun and a pen knife with the largest blade possible. The bribes being paid in my town of Licey to your supporter is 200,000.00 a month. to two men, while down the road (La Reina)a bit there are street children (20-50)that go hungry, when their mothers are working in low-wage jobs at Zona Franca.
In Santiago members of your party demand a get right which violates local building codes while violating ecological standardand the right to private property, of those that live in my community. I have been to every regulatory office in Santiago and none dare to take a conplain, Now that what I call transparency. In the old days I would been called a communist, now they call me crazy. My home and property is contaminated, Health inspector confirm this as a fact, the area is not by the cement factory, You should rea "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson. I wish you were living in my area and felt the anger this type of transparency in this democracy creates. Social conscience has gone out with morality. every man should work for what he has. Repect of the individual rights of man is one of the principle of democracy, which in my case been violated.
I am going to mount and international campaign to stop any further construction in the national parks these land are national treasure left in trust for the fucture of all citezens to remain in their virgin state. Beaches are free to be used by all it is great to want torrist but not by detroying the balance in nature. In am pleading for mother nature and her wounders should be protected from greeady , unethical development. the hills in the mountains over La Vega shows what can happen.Trucks come down those hills and no one dare to stop them. I want to know, No, I a Citizen demand it.
A copy of this shall be send to Greenpeace International. I already send them a complain related to beach development. Since cement dust will destroy all that it come in contact and my fellowman chooses to act without social conscience.
La Duena de la flace "El burro que se pone ropa "

Que no pa'lante que vamos
que gatiando que estamo
con la rodia pella que estamo
tutuniando en la oscuridad de la noche que vivamos
que no es pa'lante que vamos
con la rodillas pela que estamos.

While the word is in the twenth-first century we are supporting corruption and claiming transparency remember that those others citizens do have rights too.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Will it cross his desk?

I would be interested in knowing the opinions of informed people what the chances are that LF would get a copy of this letter.
john

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
keep on writing..and try to find e-mails

if you write it they will listen...if it reaches enough people it will land in somebodys lap that may have influence..I can also read your pain and feel it as well. I went threw that in D.R. myself...but I took the high road and thank God I Did!!!!

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
As a Dominican, I can say that DR is just one big mother****ing ghetto with gangsters running the place gangbanging anyone who doesn't like it their way. The only to get rid of these gangbangers is to form a counter gang just as corrupt to gangbang them the way they did to everyone else. Just like bloods and crips, folk nation and people nation, etc.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
I feel your pain, Maria. But what can we do?
We can complain and protest but nothing will get resolved unless we can find an influential/big gun/potent/persuasive person to do our talking for us.
Is there anyone there that fits the bill and cares enough to salvage our nation?.....

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Interesting (no) ex pats comments

So what do do you think about the OP postings??
Don't be bashful---

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think that I have seldom seen such passionate and clear and to the point talking from a Dominican... You Go Girl! (if it is Maria .. and if it is Mario .. Go get 'em Cowboy!)

C

Chip00

As a Dominican, I can say that DR is just one big mother****ing ghetto with gangsters running the place gangbanging anyone who doesn't like it their way. The only to get rid of these gangbangers is to form a counter gang just as corrupt to gangbang them the way they did to everyone else. Just like bloods and crips, folk nation and people nation, etc.

I agree with yoiu about the corruption but I don't agree that the solution is to be as bad morally as they are.

If the people here could actually realize that their vote counts there could be sweeping changes...really.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
"the people here"

surely you are talking about a person that HAS a vote. You're not talking about most expats - are you?
john

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
American by birth, Dominican by choice. Was it a bad choice? Probably.
I voted for LF thinking virtually anything would be better than el burro. I have not regretted it. Had I known LF would support and push for the big ditch I may have voted another choice, but certainly not el burro. At least with LF there is a semblence of maintenance in the public sector.
When I think of the ditch, I think pork barrel in the US. And this entire mess with the coal fired generators is ludicrous considering the ever changing terms of the deal.
Transparency and an end to corruption? Laughable, you can still buy what you want. Adhere to building codes? Why, it's easy to buy your permit after contruction and if you don't want the property line setbacks, just pay a little extra after the fact.
I admire the new jeepetas PN has. They need something decent to cruise in because it must be so boring to sit and do nothing. Now they can ride and do nothing. And Politur? A pure waste of money. Very similar to the air force. Maybe i'm just picky, but a northern command without planes seems a bit odd to me. Maybe add a few more generals to sort out the problem of too many generals.
AMET is a different story. They actually do something constructive (excluding the lady AMET that sleeps by the Texaco in Sosua). Now if they would just enforce the existing laws. For instance, stopping instead of looking at the person that ran the red light by Playero when I was coming home this afternoon.
I'm glad my life is transient.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
If the people here could actually realize that their vote counts there could be sweeping changes...really.

Votes don't really count in this country. Political connections, wealthy background, etc. does. And even if everyone does vote, they'll be still be voting for some crooked ladronazo comokiera.

C

Chip00

Votes don't really count in this country. Political connections, wealthy background, etc. does. And even if everyone does vote, they'll be still be voting for some crooked ladronazo comokiera.

I can see you have the typical Dominican attitude and it is really just a shame.

If only people could think out of the box there could be change with the current system.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I can see you have the typical Dominican attitude and it is really just a shame.

If only people could think out of the box there could be change with the current system.

Aguakateyplatanotolodia is stating it as it is, not how he thinks it should be. He does not idealize Dominicans, and is aware that we are a very conservative lot. Our educational system does not teach us how to think outside of the box, and our politicians don't even suspect there's a box. On the contrary, they insist on implementing outmoded and obsolete formulas, which may have been successful in other lands, but are inadequate for the DR, considering our own particular situation, conditions, and requirements. Then why do you think we have a President who's vision is to turn Santo Domingo into a Nuebayol Chiquito by building a Metro, while abandoning the more basic and immediate needs of the population?

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Aguakateyplatanotolodia is stating it as it is, not how he thinks it should be. He does not idealize Dominicans, and is aware that we are a very conservative lot. Our educational system does not teach us how to think outside of the box, and our politicians don't even suspect there's a box. On the contrary, they insist on implementing outmoded and obsolete formulas, which may have been successful in other lands, but are inadequate for the DR, considering our own particular situation, conditions, and requirements. Then why do you think we have a President who's vision is to turn Santo Domingo into a Nuebayol Chiquito by building a Metro, while abandoning the more basic and immediate needs of the population?

It is so funny. I was talking to a lady that was a teacher in DR and she was telling me she thinks they should teach everyone English in DR. I told her that what good would that do. they should first teach people how to think.
basically how to develop a thinking process... leave that antiquated way of thinking behind.

With that said... I ask.... what can a president do about people not having enough to eat? should he set up a welfare system?

I think he is doing as much as he can considering the DR's lack of forward thinking individuals.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It is so funny. I was talking to a lady that was a teacher in DR and she was telling me she thinks they should teach everyone English in DR. I told her that what good would that do. they should first teach people how to think.
basically how to develop a thinking process... leave that antiquated way of thinking behind.

With that said... I ask.... what can a president do about people not having enough to eat? should he set up a welfare system?

I think he is doing as much as he can considering the DR's lack of forward thinking individuals.

And what is that? (Doing as much as he can..) BTW it's very difficult to do any kind of thinking, let alone, "forward thinking" when you are living day to day just to eat. I seem to recall from my grade school Health class 101 it has something to do with brain cell loss.
\

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why are people always looking to a political leader to solve their problems?

Why do people bring children into the world they cannot feed?

The DR has one basic problem: too many people, not enough resources.

Funny how people don't complian loudly when food goes up. But let beer go up, and folks practically take to the streets.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Why are people always looking to a political leader to solve their problems?
... 'cause they created the problems - corruption, self interest, ... et al.
...Why do people bring children into the world they cannot feed?
... 'cause sex is 'free', this should be taxed.
...The DR has one basic problem: too many people, not enough resources.
... 'culling' could be the solution, but be aware it doesn't work - e.g. in Europe between 1939 - 1945; Cambodia; Rwanda ... et al.
...Funny how people don't complian loudly when food goes up. But let beer go up, and folks practically take to the streets.
... No more beer for those barbarians.

There, no more problems CB.

C

Chip00

The solution isn't to create a welfare state ala Venezuela, it will eventually fail and besides that the DR doesn't have the resources.

The solution is to quit paying the worthless politicians more than the US president and get control over Aduanas and start investing the money in the police, judicial system and infrastructure. Also, the labor laws will have to change as well in order to be competitive.

What will happen with a working police force, clean streets, dependable water and electricity and competative labor laws is that tourism and foreign investment will grow. At some point in the future real investment would be made into some necessary social services as well.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Take what Chip said and add: REAL education improvement and some semblence of serious, affordable healthcare, along with a food-care "welfare" system...job-training (including ENGLISH lessons...necessary to compete in the global economy today)...and serious commitment to alternative/sustainable energy initiatives.... there's plenty of money to pay for all this...but most of it's in the politico's mattresses, or off shore bank acounts...or safes...not sure where corrupt Dominicans keep their payola these days...

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
They spend it on their luxury cars, women and in fancy expensive restaurants. As long as this country is ruled by people who do nothing useful, lie, steal, take advantage of others while going to church every Sunday and looking innocently into people's eyes and lying to them at the same time - nothing is going to change. Where do they learn how to deceive, pretend and lie like that??? They do it so well and teach everyone else around them to do it. It is like they fantasies become reality or something. Absolutely amazing!