finding customs tariffs for imports

RBartschat

Jun 4, 2007
Greetings,

I have been reading with great interest many of the posts in this forum section about doing business in the Domenican Republic.

I seek to find out what the % of customs tarifs (arancel, impuesto) would be for our particular products that we seek to import into the Domenican Republic. (Protein Drinks and Food Supplements for Bodybuilders and people doing Sports)

Where can I find this kind of information?
Reading in this forums it seems as if customs brokers would be the individuals to ask.
For the initial purpouse of finding out the % of tarifs who could I approach please?

Your help is most welcome

Greetings from Europe

Bartschat

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
They put whatever tax they want. No guidelines. However, if you pull up the govt. web site for customs you may be able to get some info.

RBartschat

Jun 4, 2007
They put whatever tax they want. No guidelines.

I must admit this confuses me.
How am I to calculate final end user prices if I don't know the applicable duty percentage ?
The information I get from lawyers sofar is only unusable textbook quotes.
Does anyone have real life experiencing importing foodstuff into the Domenican Republic?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I must admit this confuses me.
How am I to calculate final end user prices if I don't know the applicable duty percentage ?
The information I get from lawyers sofar is only unusable textbook quotes.
Does anyone have real life experiencing importing foodstuff into the Domenican Republic?

It's very frustrating. I'm importing clothing and am learning the costs after the fact. My shipper gives me an estimate and then when the products clear customs he gives me the actual price. I'm hoping that after a few times the tarriff will become more accurately predictable. Of course there is the pilferage factor as well.

Different shippers claim and are said to avoid taxes, or have different price structures. I think the only true answer to the problem comes through experimentation - trial and error. - D

RBartschat

Jun 4, 2007
ok I found the complete tariff code for the dominican republic online

Some very intelligent _________ (insert favourite curse here) decided to put it online in flash format.

Here is the link: Direccion General de Aduanas - DGA (To make it worse it works only with M$IE, not with Firefox)
Arancel 4ta enmienda 2007

Now reading this documents more questions arise.
Appendix I states these formulas to calculate all duties:

A = RD$ CIF x TIPO ARANCELARIO (ok this is standard)

S = (RD$ CIF + ARANCEL) x TAZA DEL SELECTIVO (what the hell is a Selectivo and how high is it?)

ITBIS = RD$ CIF + ARANCEL + SELECTIVO x 16% (ok this is 16% VAT, all clear)

TI = A + S + ITBIS

The only think I dont understand here is the called Selectivo. What is it and how is it determined?

Nakasu

Aug 3, 2007
ok I found the complete tariff code for the dominican republic online
A = RD$ CIF x TIPO ARANCELARIO (ok this is standard)

S = (RD$ CIF + ARANCEL) x TAZA DEL SELECTIVO (what the hell is a Selectivo and how high is it?)

ITBIS = RD$ CIF + ARANCEL + SELECTIVO x 16% (ok this is 16% VAT, all clear)

TI = A + S + ITBIS

The only think I dont understand here is the called Selectivo. What is it and how is it determined?

The Selectivo Tax has been abolished, so you don't have to worry about that.
Anything Else?