Internet connection santiago

NYWELSH

Sep 16, 2004
What is the fastest avalable "flash " is that dsl?
Is there a plan phone/cable/internet if so how much ?
And is broadband offerd?(or is that the broadband. Thanks

C

Chip00

What is the fastest avalable "flash " is that dsl?
Is there a plan phone/cable/internet if so how much ?
And is broadband offerd?(or is that the broadband. Thanks

1.5M down, 768 up. RD 2850 monthly w/o taxes, +/- 3500 with.

C

Chip00

That is just flash, a phone plan will be more. My bill runs between RD5500 to RD6000.

Cable will cost you RD500 monthly regardless of the company. The companies got together and decised to give a "better" service to their customers and raise all their rates to RD500. Monopolies are legal here.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Chip00,
That is just flash, a phone plan will be more.
My bill runs between RD5500 to RD6000.

$995 - V.I.P phone service
$2,200 - DSL 1.5mb
---------
$3,195 - Price before Taxes
$895 - 28% taxes
---------
$4,090 Total with taxes

Looks like you are getting ripped off CHIP00, unless the prices you quoted includes cellular calls and other long distance calls you and your family are making.

Plan VIPLUS Flash is $2,155 before taxes, that's with DSL at 1 mb.
With taxes, the total is $2,758

Note: Centavos have been omitted from amounts.

C

Chip00

Chip00,

$995 - V.I.P phone service
$2,200 - DSL 1.5mb
---------
$3,195 - Price before Taxes
$895 - 28% taxes
---------
$4,090 Total with taxes

Looks like you are getting ripped off CHIP00, unless the prices you quoted includes cellular calls and other long distance calls you and your family are making.

Plan VIPLUS Flash is $2,155 before taxes, that's with DSL at 1 mb.
With taxes, the total is $2,758

Note: Centavos have been omitted from amounts.

Don I can't find the link on the Jodetel webpage for the plan you reference. Here is the link for mine. I need everybit of the 768k upload speed for you know what, shhhh! By the way I realize my plan is the fastest and most expensive they have but it gets the job done the best for me.

Codetel

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The plan and prices I quoted came in the brochure with the latest bill.

Dated: May 25, 2007

C

Chip00

Don

I found it ... somehow. Their website is still screwed up with their menus.

Codetel

This won't work for me unfortunately because it is too slow, especially the upload speed.

Also, everyone should be aware that the target speed the Codetel technicians set at your house will only be 80% - so 1.5M will be set to 1.2 and 128 will be set for 102.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Also, everyone should be aware that the target speed the Codetel technicians set at your house will only be 80% - so 1.5M will be set to 1.2 and 128 will be set for 102.

Chip00, the target speed, as you say, is not set by the technician to 80%, it's the nature of the beast! The speed quoted for (A)DSL (Flash as it is known in DR) is the nominal speed. In a typical DSL installation the actual line speed is usually about 80% of the quoted nominal speed and it depends on the quality of the line and the distance from the headend. Note that 80% of nominal speed is considered to be a good DSL connection anywhere in the world. Also, there is quite a bit of protocol overhead that eats up your bandwidth. (Syncing, Ethernet, TCP, IP, ATM...)

NotLurking

C

Chip00

Chip00, the target speed, as you say, is not set by the technician to 80%, it's the nature of the beast! The speed quoted for (A)DSL (Flash as it is known in DR) is the nominal speed. In a typical DSL installation the actual line speed is usually about 80% of the quoted nominal speed and it depends on the quality of the line and the distance from the headend. Note that 80% of nominal speed is considered to be a good DSL connection anywhere in the world. Also, there is quite a bit of protocol overhead that eats up your bandwidth. (Syncing, Ethernet, TCP, IP, ATM...)

NotLurking

That is what I thought to until I had the Codetel technician come to my house (a personal/friend acquaintance BTW) and he explained to me the deal. He called back to the main control office where they dial in everyone's speed according to their plan and had them turn it up while he was monitoring the speed at my house until it reached almost 90%. :)