To serve you better...

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
I received this email from American Airlines yesterday. The gist is, they are cutting the retention time for frequent flier miles from 36 to 18 months.

Because we value your participation in the AAdvantage program, we want to let you know about an upcoming program change. AAdvantage members now must have mileage earning or redemption activity once every 18 months in order to remain active and retain their miles. Effective December 15, 2007, mileage balances will expire from AAdvantage accounts that have not had miles either earned or redeemed within the previous eighteen (18) month period. This change will not impact you as long as you remain active in the AAdvantage program.

You can verify your last activity date by logging in to AA.com with your AAdvantage number and password. Click on "View All" in the "View My Miles" section. Just above the Mileage Summary, your last activity date is noted.

The chart below outlines how the last activity date determines the mileage expiration date:

Last Activity Date Mileage Expiration Date
January 1, 2000 - May 31, 2004 Expired
June 1, 2004 - June 15, 2006 Expiring December 15, 2007*
June 16, 2006 and Beyond Expiring 18 Months Later*
* Under new 18-month Mileage Retention Policy

Keep in mind, the first time miles will expire under this new policy is December 15, 2007.

It's easy to continue to keep your account active and retain your miles indefinitely! Just earn or redeem miles at least once every 18 months.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Yeah, Victor....I got the same thing...this is bull****...'cause most of the time when you want to use their AAwards, they are not available anyway...

Although I was able to travel for $80 r/t last year with my awards...Woohoo!!!

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Yep, and I'm flying free

Like I said in a previos post, I am flying from BOS to SDQ for the Bubble! - Zero, Ziltch, Notta - I used my AA Voucher to cover the entire costs and still have some left over. I have been on the phone for the past week trying to resolve my BOGO (By One Get One free) offer with Spirit. Now they are telling me to write a letter to their corporate office.

:eek:gre: