Asking about a visitor's visa to Canada

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
OMG someone who actually has been through the visa process!!! Can anyone tell me how long the visa process takes? I am waiting for my friend to come to Canada to visit....he took his paperwork to Santo Domingo Tuesday and was told that he had to wait for a call for an interview? Is that standard? What else has to happen as the Canadian visa website is different than the information we got at the consulate in DR.

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Well, not to get your hopes up.... but i've applied a few times for a visitors visa for my husband and never once been told he'd have to wait for an interview. He just hands in the application and they say he can come back in 2 weeks to pick up his passport. So, the fact that they told you he has to wait for an interview may be a good sign. Normally they just go back in 2 weeks to pick up their denied paperwork and thats the end of it. Good luck.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
visitors visa

Well, not to get your hopes up.... but i've applied a few times for a visitors visa for my husband and never once been told he'd have to wait for an interview. He just hands in the application and they say he can come back in 2 weeks to pick up his passport. So, the fact that they told you he has to wait for an interview may be a good sign. Normally they just go back in 2 weeks to pick up their denied paperwork and thats the end of it. Good luck.
06-07-2007 05:36 PM

Obviously I was asleep at the wheel and totally missed this reply to my original thread about the visitor's visa....my guy handed in his paperwork on June 5th and was told his interview date would likely be in mid July. He returned to the embassy a week later to pull some strings and was given a little card from the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo with June 28, 2007 stamped on it. He was told he would have his interview on this date, or is this going to be the dreaded kiss off date? Does the embassy ever follow up on the paperwork that you hand in? Do they actually call the bank to find out if there is any money in the account? Do they call the person who wrote the letter of invitation to see if it is for real? Or does all that happen after the interview if at all? My sister said the only thing he'll probably get asked is if he plans on taking flying lessons while in Canada.....
Thanks

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
Wow!! Well, it seems to me like you guys have a pretty good chance since they're giving him an interview for the visitors visa. I've never known anyone to actually get one. If they were just going to deny him like everyone else they wouldn't have told him he had an interview. From my expierience no one called the bank or the employers to find out any more info. They barely even read the paperwork that we provided. So you must have done something right. Congrats!!! Let us know how it turns out after the interview! Good luck.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
visas

Does anyone out there know if you're supposed to get interviews for visitor's visas? I'm getting a bit worried now about the appointment that it just might be for him to pick up his documents. I actually saw the stub he received from the Canadian Consulate but all it has on it is the date stamp for June 28th, 2007. He hasn't been through this process before so I'm hoping that it isn't just an appointment slip for him to come and get his documents. He is under the impression it is for an interview and our communication is sometimes lost in the translation....I hope it is good news though because I don't know how much longer we can stand being apart....

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
It's common practice for them to be given a stub with a date on it to retrieve their passport. However it is not common practice to be told they will have an interview. So i guess it just depends on what they said to him exactly. But the stub that they gave him just sounds like the normal pick up ur passport and papers on that day stub. Good luck

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
visas

Thanks for your information. I hope he does get an interview and it isn't just to pick up his passport. I had read another thread last night where the guy was given an interview date and was issued a visitor's visa. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
visitor's visa

Sorry to say my friend was denied for financial reasons!! He had the minimum required amount in his bank account plus a letter of invitation from myself a federal government employee for over 20 years which indicated that I would incur all costs involved for him during his stay. He said that the consulate wanted more information about my finances!! Go figure. Why don't they indicate that on their web page on the guideline for writing letters of invitation?:tired: I guess the lesson to be learned here is to provide as much detail as possible when completing letters, forms etc so there is no doubt at all as to what is going to happen. My friend is devastated...as am I, but I believe I have a job offer for him...we'll see how this process goes. Definitely been printing off at least 10 trees worth of paper this morning and am going to put everything in binders with tabs so nothing is left to the imagination for those ding dongs in Haiti!!! :ermm:

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Hey gambler,

Were you printing off those 10 trees worth of paper from a government computer? If so, make sure you do it double sided to save trees :p And good on you if you are, get back some of that visa money, and time, and stress caused by their denial! Best of luck!

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
visitor's visa

nope, on my own computer at home...who has time at work to print off all the required forms...OMG...I forgot some people actually think that people who are in government jobs don't work for a living...sorry to disappoint...my job is hecktic when I'm there!! Barely have time for coffee breaks or lunch some days....Thanks for your support...they may have won the battle but not the war...

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I guess I'll speak for myself about govt. work.

*typing from a GOC computer* heheh. Good luck with the war!

G

gary short

nope, on my own computer at home...who has time at work to print off all the required forms...OMG...I forgot some people actually think that people who are in government jobs don't work for a living...sorry to disappoint...my job is hecktic when I'm there!! Barely have time for coffee breaks or lunch some days....Thanks for your support...they may have won the battle but not the war...

You must be a tax collector:paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
visitor visa to Canada

nope....good guess though...don't tax collectors work from Jan to April when taxes are due?????

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
visitor's visa to Canada

Does anyone know if there's a mandatory "wait time" between visa applications??? I had been reading on some of the threads that "6 months later..." a person was approved. Just wondering if anyone knows...
Thanks

negra12

Jul 3, 2007
Unfortunately I do not know anyone who has had an interview either. Please let us know how that went. Usually the embassy denies visitor access to Canada because either the applicant does not have enough funds to support himself, by himself for the duration of his stay. (six months usually granted) Or, because he may fail to prove that he has enough ties in the Dominican to make himself return from Canada following his visit. Unfortunately these things are hard to prove in a country with so much poverty. Check out Welcome Page | Page d'acceuil for wait times for different visas. Good luck to you and your friend!

Last edited:

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
visitor's visa

Thanks for your reply in relation to the visa issue. I have been reading so much stuff lately it is getting overwhelming...but back to the interview...his visa was denied because of a lack of funds on his part but also because it was not explained on the application how he was going to get to Canada and how he was going to return...(I was not going to book a flight with no guarantees he was getting a visa) as well as how he was going to live in Canada for 6 months (I said in the letter of invitation all expenses during his stay would be covered by me). Anyway I guess immigration does what they want and if you're not rich good luck getting a visitor's visa!!! Does anyone know how Trina made out trying to get a work visa for her husband's neice was it?