legal system in DR

jmwprocom

Jun 9, 2007
To all the legal people out-there. I had an injury in Punta Cana, at a resort. It was the resorts fault and the accident report was signed and described what happened. The resort paid the hospital bills etc. Once I insisted for compensation after lossing my holiday time, lost time from work and etc. The resort gave the file to the Insurance Company, and they are playing games. Since I do not live in DR and as a foreigner, they think I would drop the action. They probably refused the claim feeling that I would not return to go to trial! Well, I guess I need a attorney to represent me in DR, giving the power of attorney to carry on on my behalf. I always thought that these resorts carry for their guests. In this case, its not.

Anyone out-there that could assist me with this situation.

jmw@vif.com
Joseph Werner

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The hotel knows that most people would not sue them. If you decide to sue, you?ll have two problems: first, you will have to post a bond since you are not a resident of the Dominican Republic; and second, you will have to find a lawyer who will take a case in which the award will be very small compared to the effort and time required. There are no punitive damages in the Dominican Republic.

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
sue in the USA

depending on the hotel, you might be able to get jurisdiction in the united states, especially if you are a US citizen. how badly were you hurt?

To all the legal people out-there. I had an injury in Punta Cana, at a resort. It was the resorts fault and the accident report was signed and described what happened. The resort paid the hospital bills etc. Once I insisted for compensation after lossing my holiday time, lost time from work and etc. The resort gave the file to the Insurance Company, and they are playing games. Since I do not live in DR and as a foreigner, they think I would drop the action. They probably refused the claim feeling that I would not return to go to trial! Well, I guess I need a attorney to represent me in DR, giving the power of attorney to carry on on my behalf. I always thought that these resorts carry for their guests. In this case, its not.

Anyone out-there that could assist me with this situation.

jmw@vif.com
Joseph Werner