Charging for electricity while renting

ace

Apr 11, 2004
I have 3 condos's for rent. In the past the electricity was included in my monthly maintenance fee. Because of that 70% of the our maintenance was going to the electric co. and not to the up keep for the property. So last week after a year of talking about it we went to individual meters.

So my question is to those that rent and have seperate meters how do you charge. Do you include it in the rental or read the meter before and after their stay and have a seperate charge.

ace.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
we have seperate meters as well, but it is almost impossible to fairly know how much to charge. Our electricty can increase by over $100 per month to a total of $200. just for the electricity..It depends on the renter and if they are careful or if not, they just dont give a darn. I have seen the a\c which use up the most on full blast, and then the patio doors open. We have considered meter reading before and after rental, however then one is tied down to being there to read the meter when the person leaves,,,and who knows when that is..sometimes the middle of the night..
I think now we are considering putting timers on the water heaters, and putting locks on the a\c..then ast least the water heaters wont run 24 hours, and we can rent the units without a/c or an extra charge if they wish.

ace

Apr 11, 2004
we have seperate meters as well, but it is almost impossible to fairly know how much to charge. Our electricty can increase by over $100 per month to a total of $200. just for the electricity..It depends on the renter and if they are careful or if not, they just dont give a darn. I have seen the a\c which use up the most on full blast, and then the patio doors open. We have considered meter reading before and after rental, however then one is tied down to being there to read the meter when the person leaves,,,and who knows when that is..sometimes the middle of the night..
I think now we are considering putting timers on the water heaters, and putting locks on the a\c..then ast least the water heaters wont run 24 hours, and we can rent the units without a/c or an extra charge if they wish.

Yes , this is the problem them running the a/c all day. I like the idea of a timer on the hot water heater. In regards to charging, I spoke to the electric co and ask what was the highest rate per kilowat charged . I was told 8 peso's. So I've reduced the weekly rental and have a poperty manager that will read before and after. This way at least I'm covered for the electric they use. The only other option is to increase the weekly rate by ( I'm guessing ) $75.00. Will this cover any excessive use for 1 week ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
So my question is to those that rent and have seperate meters how do you charge. Do you include it in the rental or read the meter before and after their stay and have a seperate charge.

ace.

Read meter when they arrive and again when they leave. That is the only way to go. This is better for you and for the renter. If a renter conserves, their total cost will be less because to protect yourself if you include it in the rent you will have to assume the worst. On the other hand, if a renter does not conserve, then you won't have to take any of the rent money to pay for exectricity.

Where I live, we have been doing it this way for years. When we get inquiries, we tell them the rent is plus the electricity.