Barcelo Capella - Juan Dolio

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I just got back from staying at the Barcelo Capella for 10 days. I was quite skeptical after reading numerous bad reviews on several search engines. I realized quite soon after arriving that I need not have spent one moment worrying.

Check-in was a breeze and the staff were friendly and helpful. Contintental Airlines had lost mine and 50 other's luggage so the front desk and bellmen kept an eye out for my suitcase for me. It did take 3 days for me to receive it though!

Our room was in the 4000 block and was really clean and neat. The only time I ever saw a bug in the room was after a full day of rain, that night I saw a supersized cochroach in the bathroom....you'd have thought someone had killed me from the scream I let out! I would rather have a thousand snakes on me than even come within 10 feet of one cochroach. I know they are inevitable in tropical countries but I don't care, I am still not going to embrace them. Anyways, I can see why it wanted to come inside after all that rain, and we didn't see anything else in the 10 days so not a big deal.

The food was fabulous and there were so many choices. The main buffet was huge and you could find so many wonderful things to choose from. They had traditional Dominican food and a mix of "American" choices as well. The seafood restaraunt Los Olas was really good. We went several times. The Calamari was to die for!! There was no reason at all for anyone to complain about the food or choices as they were endless and the food was really good!

We were both a little sick one morning but I have to admit I think that had more to do with the amount of drinks we had the night before at the disco than the food. We both took Immodium and were on our way...it didn't stop us at all.

The pools are really nice and clean but the Ocean is the best place to spend the day. There are Palm trees all around so if you feel like you are getting too much sun then you have a place to escape to. I found that a lot of people had complained about the beach being too rocky...it wasn't at all. I believe they just put new sand down? It was beautiful and really soft, tiny little seashells everywhere. Going into the water at certain spots could be a little bit rocky but nothing to complain about and once you were about a foot or so in the water it was just sand, no rocks.

The water was so warm. It rained most afternoons but it didn't stop us from going in the Ocean as it was warmer in there. It never rained for long anyways.

The show was different every night we were there. They had some pretty funny shows and they always made you laugh!

The disco was great too. We would usually end up there right after the show. I learned how to dance to Bachata and Meringue and had so much fun!

A lot of people on places like tripadvisor etc. complained about the locals coming in on the weekend and being rude and taking over at the bars etc. Not the case. The hotel was pretty quiet during the week so it was actually nice to see more people on the weekends. It made the disco and show more fun! I couldn't believe people would even complain about this in the first place as no one would ever complain that at a hotel in the US there were too many Americans or at a hotel in Canada that there were too many Canadians staying there. That is just ridiculous! If you are never going to leave your hotel to explore and meet the locals, then don't bother going on holiday...get a book and sit in your own backyard, we will all be better off for it.

We went to San Pedro de Macoris a couple of times and I really enjoyed it. The people are very friendly. A very busy city with a lot of crazy drivers but that did seem to add to the charm of it all.

All in all, it was a wonderful vacation and I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family. Don't worry about your trip if you are booked here...it will be just great!

cupidgirl

Jun 22, 2007
Thanks for the review, i am booked at this hotel going this saturday for four days. I am looking forward to the trip, but was also worried about all the reviews on tripadvisor etc. i am not worried about bugs etc, just a little worried about getting sick. do they supply bottled water or should i bring my own?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
They most certainly supply bottled water, and even water in pitchers will come out of a larger bottle. Have a great trip!

dukes1963

Jan 3, 2007
Can anyone please tell me difference between Barcello Capella and Barcelo Talanquera-the dates I am looking at the Capella is a little more expensive-but also seems to have better reviews. I have been to Boca Chica many times and am looking to have a few quiet days with novia. Thanks for your assistance!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Capella more stars, closer to Villas del Mar so easier to visit local bars and restaurants. Better quality all round

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Definitely Capella! I have met many guests of the Talanquera coming over to the Capella saying they should have booked into the Capella.

It is a great hotel and has great staff! I can't wait to go next month!

I got married there in January and would definitely recommend it.