HELP! My brother's stuck in Punta Cana

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
So my brother and his friend (who don't speak Spanish) were visiting me for the week and they went to the airport this morning to fly out. When they got there, they found a plane was stuck on the tarmac and were told they are not able to fly out until TOMORROW NIGHT!!! They plan on staying at a hotel tonight but have NO IDEA (neither do I) who to call or where to stay. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is kind of an emergency situation, so if you PM me I can give out my phone number. Thanks.

Hoping the DR1 comm can come through . . . :D

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Shouldn't the airline make accommodation provisions for the affected passengers? That's always been my experience.

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
I don't know what's happening about that. The airline is USA3000, which is generally a charter service, I believe. (i.e. a group is books through a travel agent, then if there are any extra seats, they sell them off, which is how they got the tickets). So I would imagine most of the group is simply going back to their resort.

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
Thank you VERY MUCH!!! I think that's the place. I called and spoke with them in Spanish, but they speak English as well. And the price seems reasonable, and only 15 minutes from PUJ.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The airport is hoping to have the plane off the tarmac by the latest 3pm today. Obviously, with the amount of flights delayed, it'll take a while to get everything back up to speed but everthing is being coordinated as I speak. Your brother should contact his airline since they're responsable for his accomodations.

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
Thanks, all again!!! SO MUCH APPRECIATED.

I just talked with him again after calling La Posada. I asked him if he wanted me to make the reservations. He did say that the airline rep. was arriving around two and that they would wait and see if they would make reservations for them or not. I get the feeling they're having trouble communicating. :( Poor gringos . . . ;)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Not to get off topic, but did the plane breakdown on the tarmac?
The word stuck might be the wrong one?

They should also see the USA3000 rep and see about them supplying a room.

Here's the info I got directly from the General Manager of PUJ:

"Martin Air Flight MP 603, B767-300ER with 228 passengers on board was on takeoff roll from Punta Cana International Airport last night at 9:35 PM. The pilot received a Flap Warning light, indicating he may have problems with his flight controls. He made an instant and correct decision to abort takeoff. He applied brakes and reverse thrust. Aircraft brakes overheated, 8 main gear tires deflated and the aircraft came to rest just east of taxiway E-3. The PUJ SSEI applied dry chemical agent to the hot brakes, preventing any fire. Passengers were offloaded normally by aircraft stair truck and taken by vehicles to the arrival terminal immigrations area. Bags were offloaded and cargo was offloaded. Due to the aircraft having 8 blown tires, it could not be moved from the runway."

As of noon today the plane was off the tarmac and flights were starting to get back to normal.

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
Thanks for your help everybody!

Here's the update on my brother: I got him a villa at La Posada (not what he expected apparently) ;). Unfortunately, the USA3000 "chief" never did show up. At first they told him at the airport they could leave tomorrow at 8 p.m. THEN they said they would have to wait until Monday to leave. At which point the frantic calling began. I called Codariz(?) who was supposed to be able to take care of things apparently. He said if they got to the airport tomorrow by 5:30 p.m. they would be able to leave on the 8 p.m. flight. Eventually they were told the same thing at the airport. So we'll see . . .

I really feel sorry for them, not speaking the language and all. My brother had a bachelor party to go to tomorrow night (he's one of the best men) which I guess he'll miss. :(

Thanks again for everybody's help!!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks for your help everybody!

Here's the update on my brother: I got him a villa at La Posada (not what he expected apparently) ;). Unfortunately, the USA3000 "chief" never did show up. At first they told him at the airport they could leave tomorrow at 8 p.m. THEN they said they would have to wait until Monday to leave. At which point the frantic calling began. I called Codariz(?) who was supposed to be able to take care of things apparently. He said if they got to the airport tomorrow by 5:30 p.m. they would be able to leave on the 8 p.m. flight. Eventually they were told the same thing at the airport. So we'll see . . .

I really feel sorry for them, not speaking the language and all. My brother had a bachelor party to go to tomorrow night (he's one of the best men) which I guess he'll miss. :(

Thanks again for everybody's help!!!

Not sure what your brother expected at La Posada..its not a villa...its a "cama y desayuno" or B & B! I have stayed there myself...it is impeccably clean, trust me, that is first and foremost on my list...thats why I said "budget accomodation". If $$$ wasnt an issue, he should have headed back to his resort for 3 times the price.

Anyway, alls well that ends well, most important is to get home safe.

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
Actually he did say it was like a B & B (and I said, "like a villa") and he said, yeah. So again it could be a communication/not-knowing-Spanish issue. He was actually staying with us in Las Terrenas (then with my Mom for a night in SD) before heading to Punta Cana. So "heading back to the resort" was NOT an option! ;)

Many thanks again, I never would've been able to wade through all the resort websites Google popped up with to find him a decent place to stay.