Playing Golf in JD

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This past winter I set a goal of playing golf in the DR at least once or twice a month in Juan Dolio. Sounds easy? Well I live in NYC and have an active biz--so not that easy.

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed playing at Guavaberry. Stayed in an executive suite at La Hamaca with shuttle service at 8 am to the club. Cart, caddy, clubs, and a round of golf, about $125-130.

Dont know why I thought about this right now other than I am playing golf here in NYC tomorrow morning and thought I would share this with those looking for a great golf destination next winter.

Flew down to SD once every 4th week and stayed for one week. Went back to NY worked my butt off and returned for a great week of R and R from Nov. to April. No commitment to house, condo, etc. at the end of winter you walk away, pay your bill and you're worry free.
john

vandee

Nov 26, 2003
Guavaberry is an OK course but the best golf is in Casa at Teeth of the Dog or Dye Fore. Just my opinion.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
tough commute

Guavaberry is an OK course but the best golf is in Casa at Teeth of the Dog or Dye Fore. Just my opinion.

Yes you are right of course but my report was based on me staying at La Hamaca because I go into SD most days.
JOHN

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
Have you played Playa Grande near Rio San Juan. A great course with few people, I think ten holes are oceanfront. I?ve played it many times and it?s my favorite, even more than TPC stadium in Ponte Vedra. A good friend of mine is a PGA pro instructor and he can never get enough of Playa Grande. I think a round is under 100US with caddy and cart. And often you have the place to yourself. Wind conditions are intrinsic here, like many oceanfront courses. I wouldn?t recommend the links at Playa Dorado. The last time I saw the course the greenskeeper must have been on holiday, and it plays like a flat county course with little character.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Metro is a flat, not too interesting course. It has hosted the nationals and the Juan Marichal but is now playing second fiddle to Guavaberry. Jos? Luis Asilis, the president, told me that it was enough of a course to sell houses. And that it is...
My son shot a 67 there during the National a few years ago...

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ahhh but the greens can kill you HB!!! Those fairway bunkers can take a toll also if one is a less than stellar player......
Guavaberry is a much more scenic with varied terrain to play though.....

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I agree that Metro is without character, really a boring 18 holes, but the conditions were decent. I played during the week, not busy at all the times I was out there. Guavaberry has much more character, real good challenge, coming from a P.G.A. professional here. I have only played Guavaberry twice, both last winter. I have played Metro many times over the years. Teeth of the Dog is the way to go if you want to add a few bucks and an hour and a half. Dye Fore had some nice views, but for some reason didn't do it for me. It can be verrrryyyy difficult for an average golfer. I will try and get back there again this year. It helps not having to pay the greens fees.............

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
I agree on the comments about the design of both courses.
Played Guavaberry about 5 weeks ago, and Metro just 2 weeks ago.

Few people playing, Guavaberry has most fairways in bad condition (little grass) and the greens suck because they have 2 different grasses on and looks like they don't care.

To my surprise Metro was in good shape, fairways and greens although I don't really like the course because of it's design.

If someone makes hollidays in the area of Sto Domingo, visit Las Lagunas, kilometer 19 on autopista Duarte, right hand side.
The course has a beautiful design, each hole different and lots of water (lateral and horizonal).
Presently fairways are in beautiful shape and the back nine greens have been under repair for the last 2 weeks, will be nice soon.